A flag Awareness posters - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A flag Awareness posters

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laganeer View Post
    Don't forget an A flag can have alternate meanings and might mean "i'm undergoing speed trials"
    If you want to be pedantic it gives the vessel right of way over all other vessels regardless of the situation it is being used for, The key point is restricted in the ability to manoeuvre but let us not be pedantic and instead download the posters we put time and money into so you can all educate the general water using public...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I love a debate, but here's the legal bottom line.

FYI bythesea there is no such term as 'right of way' in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (1972, amended 2003), nor is a vessel displaying Flag Alpha restricted in her ability to manoeuvre by virtue of her flying that signal or having divers in the water.

Rule 3(g)(ii) states that a vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations can be considered a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as she is restricted due to the nature of her work. The definition Flag A is not covered in the IRPCS 1972 and therefore other vessels are not legally obliged to pass wide and clear at the slowest speed possible to maintain steerage. The flag is in reality a request to other vessels, and if dive skippers feel it necessary to provide close surface cover as a point of safety, then they should really fly the shapes for R.A.M. to ensure other vessels have an obligation to comply.

Hope this is helpful, perhaps Flag A should be adopted into the rules.

Great posters, I've put them up in marinas and sailing clubs.

"Are we human, or are we diver?"
    Lichfield, too dry, even for the Gobi Desert Canoe Club.
    Thanks
    Interesting website....

ColRegs Home

It's probably worth emphasising that the flag should be held rigid.
    Nigel N
    Carrying an alternative air supply, if your main supply fails, you still have enough air to get you to the bottom of the incident pit.

Thanks
    This whole thing is less about everything being mm perfect and to the letter and more about awareness and ability to identify an area where divers are under the surface.

A flags on dive boats are supposed to be rigid and 1 metre in height, how many RIBs do you see with a 1 metre flag.... These factors are not important, a jet skier knowing what the flag signifies is....

"Are we human, or are we diver?"
    Lichfield, too dry, even for the Gobi Desert Canoe Club.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bythesea View Post

A flags on dive boats are supposed to be rigid and 1 metre in height, how many RIBs do you see with a 1 metre flag.... These factors are not important, a jet skier knowing what the flag signifies is....
    Which is why on another thread I suggested that I may try putting a DSMB with "Diver Down" emblazoned on it over the flagpole on the Dive Kayak to stop some oik trying to take it in tow for salvage :-)

Although it does presume they can actually read..............
    Nigel N
    Carrying an alternative air supply, if your main supply fails, you still have enough air to get you to the bottom of the incident pit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam McD View Post
    I love a debate, but here's the legal bottom line.

FYI bythesea there is no such term as 'right of way' in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (1972, amended 2003), nor is a vessel displaying Flag Alpha restricted in her ability to manoeuvre by virtue of her flying that signal or having divers in the water.

Rule 3(g)(ii) states that a vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations can be considered a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as she is restricted due to the nature of her work. The definition Flag A is not covered in the IRPCS 1972 and therefore other vessels are not legally obliged to pass wide and clear at the slowest speed possible to maintain steerage. The flag is in reality a request to other vessels, and if dive skippers feel it necessary to provide close surface cover as a point of safety, then they should really fly the shapes for R.A.M. to ensure other vessels have an obligation to comply.

Hope this is helpful, perhaps Flag A should be adopted into the rules.

Great posters, I've put them up in marinas and sailing clubs.
    Rule 27e? Rule 3g does not exclude diving, but gives a non exclusive list of what activities shall be considered as restrictive.

A dive boat can be restricted in her ability to manoeuvre by virtue of her flying that signal or having divers in the water. Tethered divers or bells for a start. I agree that it could be practical for some dive boats to use the appropriate lights and shapes.

Woohoo! Not a 'New Member' anymore! garygonediving's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's not meant to be a flag, it's meant to be a replica of a flag!

Thanks
    My mistake Adrian,

My neck is well and truly wound in.

Nice to stimulate a bit of banter about Colregs, something most divers haven't got a clue about!

Cheers,

Sam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
    This whole thing is less about everything being mm perfect and to the letter and more about awareness and ability to identify an area where divers are under the surface.

Fair one bythesea, apologies for causing the thread to veer away from what the real issue is - oiks on pwc's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam McD View Post
    Fair one bythesea, apologies for causing the thread to veer away from what the real issue is - oiks on pwc's.
    No worries, it puts it back on the front page where people who have not seen it might drop in

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast