Dive sites in lochinver area?

Thread: Dive sites in lochinver area?

Thanks

Dive sites in lochinver area?

Hi,

I wondered if anyone knew of some nice sites in the assynt/lochinver area. I visit family there farily frequently, usually on my own so am mostly looking for shore dives I can do by myself.

I have managed some RIB dives, so have done the Margo and Scotia wrecks in Lochinver, and the Kylesku narrows drift - all great fun. Also know of the Summer Isles - really looking for stuff further north than this, but not many people seem to venture that far!

Shore-wise, I've already done sites at Stoer/clachtoll and loch kirkaig. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful for any ideas of new places to explore.

Cheers

Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

beware of imitations
    Thanks
    Kylesku can be done as a shore dive off the south ferry slip but you do need to get the tides right! (Probably one of my favourite UK shore dives, particularly as pub, toilets and car parking are within a few yards of the easy access to the water. The wall to seaward of the pub goes down to about 40m and is covered in sun stars, brittle stars and butterfish. Stunning.)

Have tried a couple of sites further north but not found anywhere good, lots of kelp and boulders or shallow with sand and long walks to get to the water.

Also, going off the beach at Achmelvich near Lochinver is suprisingly good. Follow the rocks on the left out and watch out for angler fish and similar on the sand. Good evening dive. Have also had decent dives off the beach at Ardmair (first place you come to north of Ullapool).

M

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McBad For This Useful Post:

will_w (03-08-10)

Thanks
    Thanks - think I will give achmelvich a go the next time I'm up, and I do fancy having another look at Kylesku. I'm sure there must be some good stuff to be found round there, with enough time and the energy for some long walks and surface swims!

6. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

beware of imitations
    Thanks
    Another small comment about Kylesku... Somewhere in the shallow little bay just in front of the hotel's garden is a small sewage outlet. I remember my buddy being surpised by a sudden underwater jet of brown trout and mashed up bog-roll. Meanwhile I rescued a couple of nice ash trays that had been lobbed from the terrace...

M.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McBad View Post
    Another small comment about Kylesku... Somewhere in the shallow little bay just in front of the hotel's garden is a small sewage outlet. I remember my buddy being surpised by a sudden underwater jet of brown trout and mashed up bog-roll. Meanwhile I rescued a couple of nice ash trays that had been lobbed from the terrace...

M.
    Does anyone know where you can get tanks filled in Loch Inver area?

Thanks