YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Drysuit Pockets - Questions, Answers & Opinions.

52K views 79 replies 46 participants last post by  Deep Blue 
#1 ·
Imported post

After a season of using a clip on thigh pocket to store my reel, Dsmbi and back-up blob, I have decided to have a couple of thigh pockets permanently fitted to my drysuit (Oceanic Aedura) in order to allow me to kart more things around underwater and generally make my life easier.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations as to what type to go for? Anyone had some fitted with have subsequently turned out to be rubbish? or there any who's praises you want sing from the rooftops!

Ta all

Andy B

See less See more
#28 ·
Pockets

Hi Kirky, try here:

http://www.aquastuff.co.uk/Pockets3.htm

Not cheap, but they are DIY.

Muzzer

kirky said:
Im looking to get 2 thigh pockets fitted to my drysuit for spare mask/tables etc.

What are the best to get, where from, how much and should I DIY or get my LDS to fit them

cheers

#30 ·
Drysuit Pockets ??

Hi All,

I'm having some cargo pockets fitted to my drysuit and I'm not sure whether to have them fitted to the front of the legs or the sides, what would you guys suggest and why?

Also, I'll need to send the suit by courier, I've priced up parcel farce and they'll charge £13.25, are there any cheaper options, these could turn out to be very expensive pockets!

Cheers

Ian

#31 ·
On the front - if you side mount them and start using stages they become very trcky to get at. Sending stuff is expensive, but hurry because Mr Crozier at the Royal Mail reckons prices need to double in the near future - doh!!

#33 ·
Have them fitted to the side. If you have them fitted to the front, they'll restrict your movements. Also fit all your kit onto bungie so you can pull out the entire contents, grab what you want and replace all the other stuff.

I use bolt snaps to attach to the bungie

HTH

#35 ·
I have got mine on the front and wish they were on the side. I can't get into them if I am carrying a stage without a bit of effort and they catch on bits of wreck I think I have cleared

I imagine I carry similar things in my pockets as young froggy - spool, compass, depth gauge, spare d-timer, spare SMB (small one).

Paul

#40 ·
FOX said:
I'm having some cargo pockets fitted to my drysuit and I'm not sure whether to have them fitted to the front of the legs or the sides, what would you guys suggest and why?
Mine are on the front and they are a total bitch trying to get back into a RIB.

nigelH

#42 ·
Woz said:
Fit them yourself is the cheapest option.

www.aquastuff.co.uk
I'm getting the pockets fitted for a very good price and they are sew on rather than glue on, the only problem with cost is the postage. I need a couple of other bits n bobs done to the suit, so it works out well sending it!

I thought that side mounted would be best, but wanted others opinions, looks like a bit of a split decision...

...no surprise there then :)

#43 ·
Mine are on the front & I have no trouble real trouble getting into them. I think mine seem to be a bit higher than most peoples, as out of the water, I can stand with my hands in them without having to bend over & look like a hunchback! Either that or I have long arms!
Not tried side ones, so can't really say if these are better or not.

One thing you might want to consider is the opening though. Mine have zips & can be a little tricky sometimes. I've seen some people have a velcro 'flap', which seems a lot easier to open.

Jen

#46 ·
Pockets are best mounted on the side, for a number of reasons. Front mounted they get in the way when geting into RIBs, they are not very streamlined, on the side they are in the slipstream of you shoulders so will not create more drag. There is NO problem geting to them with stages on, not that im saying there is if they are on the front but someone said there was. you want them mounted so that you can just reach the bottom, and with a bungee loop to clip things to. I would avoid cliping thing to a dring in the pocket as if you want anything and it get tangled up you wont be able to cut it away. Also as other have said use velcro, it fails open and not shut like a zip, sealing you much needed item inside.

hope that helps

Ian

#47 ·
Jen S said:
One thing you might want to consider is the opening though. Mine have zips & can be a little tricky sometimes. I've seen some people have a velcro 'flap', which seems a lot easier to open.
One point if your using the pockets to store backup kit in. Zipped pockets can "fail" closed, But you should always be able to get a velcro pocket open.

Simon A

#48 ·
FOX said:
Hi All,

Also, I'll need to send the suit by courier, I've priced up parcel farce and they'll charge £13.25, are there any cheaper options, these could turn out to be very expensive pockets!

Cheers

Ian

On this note I am in the process of designing & sourcing production of inexpensive drysuit pockets. My loose survey says that tech. / wreck divers like drysuit pockets :

A. black - colors were deemed too sissy for techies
B. expandable
C. fitted with one drain grommet
D. have capacity to add bungee cords

My question is: Do people have a preference for materials? I am looking at ballistic nylon which tends to get baggy over time, and heavy duty neoprene. Neoprene tends to float. Any input would be appreciated. My incentive for doing this project is to offer an alternative to exorbitantly expensive pockets. Charging the equivalent of 40+ pounds for a pocket is a tad too high.

As per mounting, side mounting is preferable if you tend to wiggle through major restrictions. Also, if you mount them on the front they have a minor tendency to bring your thighs down, especially if you load the pockets with gear. Ken

#49 ·
Ken said:
On this note I am in the process of designing & sourcing production of inexpensive drysuit pockets. My loose survey says that tech. / wreck divers like drysuit pockets :

A. black - colors were deemed too sissy for techies
B. expandable
C. fitted with one drain grommet
D. have capacity to add bungee cords

My question is: Do people have a preference for materials? I am looking at ballistic nylon which tends to get baggy over time, and heavy duty neoprene. Neoprene tends to float. Any input would be appreciated. My incentive for doing this project is to offer an alternative to exorbitantly expensive pockets. Charging the equivalent of 40+ pounds for a pocket is a tad too high.

As per mounting, side mounting is preferable if you tend to wiggle through major restrictions. Also, if you mount them on the front they have a minor tendency to bring your thighs down, especially if you load the pockets with gear. Ken
I like my OThree neo ones they were only £22 though don't know where $0 comes from
o neo has strech which is good

#51 ·
Mark said:
Large DUI velcro closing bellows pockets cost £67 each including fitting! I am getting two fitted to my latest 2nd hand TLS350 purchase.
I don't much care for the newish DUI pockets. I think I'll get 5thD pockets fitted to my new drysuit when I decide what type to buy.

As for the original questions: definitley on the side & I carry much the same junk as Frogman plus a few other bits & pieces except I wear my depth timer on my wrist. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.