Xbox or PS3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox or PS3

Thanks

Xbox or PS3

so the lad wants new toy for christmas, which one should I get him or does it make no difference?

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    ask him which one he would prefer? does his friends have 360's or PS3's

Thanks
    tries that, he does not seem bothered -makes me wonder why he wants one at all but ho hum Santa has to bring something.

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    As Paul F says find out which one the majority of his mates have got.

From a personal standpoint I've always preferred the PS3 as it comes with a Blu Ray player and I personally think is a more powerful platform although s/w producers haven't really unleashed this until recently.

The downside on the PS3 is they removed the backward compatibility to PS2 and PS1 games so it no longer plays them. I'm really happy with my PS3.

Thanks
    Makes no odds to be honest.

X-Box seem to get earlier releases and extra content but PS3 is nicer and comes with Blu-Ray.

Thanks
    The games cost about the same but the new Xbox is quite a bit cheaper than a PS3. I've heard the Xbox is better for online gaming but I've never played on a PS3 so wouldn't know. Most of the new games released like MOH and COD Black Ops will be available pre owned by christmas so you could get a deal on those.

The PS3 is blu-ray but if you can live without that go for the Xbox.
    " I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days"

http://www.predator-wetsuits.co.uk/Drysuits06.htm

Thanks
    On the Xbox online gaming side it's worth noting thatyou have to pay for this feature....it's free with PS3

Thanks
    I'm a developer and I personally have a PS3 because a) it has Blu Ray, b) I prefer the controller and c) there were PS3 exclusive games that I wanted. Other than that there's not a great deal of difference - the PS3 is more powerful on paper but not for practical game dev purposes. Most big titles by ATVI, Ubi, EA and the like are cross platform which inhibits using the hardware to its fullest potential (especially when you have to deal with the Wii as well) - platform exclusive games tend to be where the technology is pushed.

For choosing one I'd say what do their mates have (as said before) and are there any exclusive titles that they want - e.g. Halo, Mass Effect, Gran Turismo, Drake etc.

The PS Move and 360's Natal* is also worth thinking about - PS Move is like the Wii on speed and very accruate but you have to buy one move controller per person, Natal* has full body skeletal recognition for anyone in the scene but I find it very frustrating sometimes and I'm still to be convinced.
    Last edited by PipeDown; 08-11-10 at 10:41 AM. Reason: *Natal is now Kinect - thanks Scuttler.

Thanks
    As said above - depends on friends. This caused my son to sell his PS3 and buy an XBOX 360. He and his friends play quite a bit on-line together (using headphones so they can talk while playing). XBOX on-line players can only play with other XBOX players; likewise for PS3.

If he wants to play HALO = XBox

The controllers are generally the same with some minor differences - both just take time to get used to.

PS3 has rechargeable controllers that you re-charge by plugging into the console. The XBOX controllers (at least the ones my son has) require 2 AA cells each = much less convenient.
    Last edited by Swissguy; 08-11-10 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PipeDown View Post
    The PS Move and 360's Natal is also worth thinking about - PS Move is like the Wii on speed and very accruate but you have to buy one move controller per person, Natal is full body skeletal recognition for anyone in the scene but I find it very frustrating sometimes and I'm still to be convinced.

I think they've renamed Natal as Kinect now that it's been released.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast