YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
13K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  Jacko9 
#1 ·
Recently I was diving at Stoney and had just started a dive. I was making my way to the platform by the submarine to do some skills with my OW students when a couple of other divers swam underneath me on their way to the exit. One of them turned to look at me, then he looked down at my feet. He was only a couple of metres away and I could just hear the cogs whirring and grinding...'Where are that divers fins?' :confused:He looked up at my face again. And then back down to where my fins should be. He was obviously having trouble working it all out so he poked his buddy and pointed at me. So the buddy turned round and looked me up and down too.:confused: :confused:So I now had 2 people staring at me as though they'd just seen something from another planet. :eek:It was then that I gave them both a great big 2 handed wave with my webbed-gloved hands and carried on 'breast-stroking' my way to the platform and thought nothing of it.

After the dive my students and DM all commented on the two gawpers from the dive and we all had a laugh about it. A little later, I was in the car park looking up at the map from my wheelchair and a voice behind me said 'Aaaah, it must've been you I saw mucking about in the water earlier'. 'Mucking about? You mean diving?' was my reply. And so an amiable converstion ensued...

What I found interesting about this experience was the divers initial reaction to seeing someone in the water that isn't 'normal' and their unintentional, slightly patronising manner when they realised I have a disability. Yes, I do things a bit differently but I'm still doing it. I don't do it to prove anything. I dive because I want to. Which is exactly the same reason why we all dive. Isn't it?

See less See more
#40 ·
Great thread. I'm doing some fundraising for these guys at the moment Deptherapy Technology in Depth - News they take British guys who've lost limbs & team them up with guys from the USA in the same boat & teach them to dive. It changes thier lives amazingly! As John said they use the "Thruster DPV" Last trip was 5 UK "Para's" & 5 US "Airborne" & buddied them up. Next trip I beleive is 5 Royal Marines teamed with 5 US Marines. Diving, Banter & laughter. What more could you want?

#47 ·
What a brilliant topic! I have seen a chap with no fins myself and wondered how he managed to propel himself around... I didnt realise such gloves even existed.

Kudos to the OP for overcoming problems that many of us would not have the minerals to persist with, let alone even try. An inspiration. :)

#49 · (Edited)
My BSAC branch RESDA who Mark Rowe is also a member of regularly help out with Battle Back & the rehabilitation of injured soldiers. In 2010 we won the BSAC Neptune Medal for the work. Managed to qualify guys from OD to OWI. Yes things are done differently, equipment configured differently if there's hand issues or caveats issued such as diving in a 3.

Seeing the look of their face the first time they get in the water since their injury is priceless.

Disability does not mean disadvantaged. Good effort to you.

TG

See link for video. http://bfbs.com/news/england/army-divers-win-inaugural-neptune-medal-39585.html

#50 ·
#51 ·
Not uploaded pics before hope they arrive. They are both from a exped I ran for 8 military amputees / severely injured lads, most post afgan / Iraq. This was the first battleback exped to take soldiers back to a Muslim country. The double amp in the pic is only 20 years old. I taught the 2 lads who both became OWIs a couple of years before in Cyprus. A quote from brad after his his first dive on the Zenobia was 'worth getting blown up for' - priceless.
It is VERY rewarding to teach and watch their faces as they dive unaided for the first time.

Attachments

#54 ·
Great thread, I am considering trying the gloves in a confined dive and to say I can't stand fins is an understatement. I have screws in knee and limited strength but any advice as to how tiring/how much upper body strength is needed as I am not as strong as some self propelled wheel chair users, i generally use a walking stick or crutches and if my shoulders/arms can't manage anymore it is to the assisted wheelchair for me.

Also any advice on maybe trying both fins and gloves as a reasonable mix as i am still able to swim but use about 70% arms and 30% legs?

#58 ·
Also any advice on maybe trying both fins and gloves as a reasonable mix as i am still able to swim but use about 70% arms and 30% legs?
try both, for those with limited mobility, or reduced strength, a combination works great. It's not a case of one or the other.
You may also want to consider trying different style fins, as some can require different muscles and strength.
I would usually suggest trying a breaststroke style for both legs and arms, but let yourself glide between strokes. If your knees struggle with break stroke legs then try using a mix.
Probably the best advice I can give though is to make sure you are properly weighted, the weights are in the correct position for you and you have good control over your buoyancy. It's even more important for those where fining is harder.

#60 ·
I learnt to dive with wounded and injured divers a number of then being amputees. Even having being around a lot of amputees for a long time I still find myself staring, not in shock but always in awe.
Watching a double amputee run is amazing, not always the person doing it but the kit and equipment that makes it possible, the determination for them not to make the loss of legs a hindrance to their life, the way they adapt and overcome so to not let anything get in their way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.