YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
13K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  Jacko9 
#1 ·
Recently I was diving at Stoney and had just started a dive. I was making my way to the platform by the submarine to do some skills with my OW students when a couple of other divers swam underneath me on their way to the exit. One of them turned to look at me, then he looked down at my feet. He was only a couple of metres away and I could just hear the cogs whirring and grinding...'Where are that divers fins?' :confused:He looked up at my face again. And then back down to where my fins should be. He was obviously having trouble working it all out so he poked his buddy and pointed at me. So the buddy turned round and looked me up and down too.:confused: :confused:So I now had 2 people staring at me as though they'd just seen something from another planet. :eek:It was then that I gave them both a great big 2 handed wave with my webbed-gloved hands and carried on 'breast-stroking' my way to the platform and thought nothing of it.

After the dive my students and DM all commented on the two gawpers from the dive and we all had a laugh about it. A little later, I was in the car park looking up at the map from my wheelchair and a voice behind me said 'Aaaah, it must've been you I saw mucking about in the water earlier'. 'Mucking about? You mean diving?' was my reply. And so an amiable converstion ensued...

What I found interesting about this experience was the divers initial reaction to seeing someone in the water that isn't 'normal' and their unintentional, slightly patronising manner when they realised I have a disability. Yes, I do things a bit differently but I'm still doing it. I don't do it to prove anything. I dive because I want to. Which is exactly the same reason why we all dive. Isn't it?

See less See more
#3 ·
A little later, I was in the car park looking up at the map from my wheelchair and a voice behind me said 'Aaaah, it must've been you I saw mucking about in the water earlier'. 'Mucking about? You mean diving?' was my reply. And so an amiable converstion ensued...
I spend 90% of my time in the water mucking about.........

#35 · (Edited)
Aint that the truth!!

Occasionally when in warm water I have gone without fins for my snorkel between dives - even with my shovels it is hard going when underwater.

I know a few divers with medical conditions and disabilities who dive now (it happens if you spend enough time around army types) and to a man they say that it is something they couldnt give up, as it gives them a sense of being free. The disability no longer matters, its almost a release for them. In one particular case it turned him around and showed him that he could be independant, whereas before he was struggling with the concept. Of course these are guys who werent born with it and were quite fit beforehand, so possibly a different situation.

I respect anyone for overcoming adversity..... our sport is demanding enough on the able bodied, so I tip my cap to those who find a way to make it work for them.

Reactions: Blu DL and cjwood23
#4 ·
I get strange looks to when I dive, particularly when getting kitted up, because my suit is different from the norm. Just human nature to look at something unusual. I bet your attention is caught by a species of fish that you have never seen before.

Reactions: 12480
#7 ·
I would love to see a piccy if you have one. Diving with out fins. I would love to give that a try some day. May be if people were aware that there are disabled divers and some the the things they have change to enjoy what the rest of take for granted that would be really a good thing.

#8 ·
Personally I would think there is someone who has forgotten to put his fins on, so long as you didn't look to be in difficulty I would pass you by, I wouldn't join the dots and doubt many would.

I think maybe you are looking to deeply into this...

If something is different people will react to it differently...no big surprises there.

I believe in treating everyone equally so wont give you a high five you for being a disabled diver as I wouldn't high five a fully able bodied person for being able to dive. I will say well done on not allowing difficulties from stopping you enjoying life to the full though.

Just don't condemn people for being curious/confused/interested.

#13 ·
I'm sure the bemused divers meant nothing by their actions and are probably cringing now they have perhaps worked out you were a wheelchair user. It's hard to be encouraging without sounding patronising but I can only say I have ultimate respect for anyone who can overcome some pretty difficult obstacles in order to enjoy what is a fab hobby. Hat off to you - its hard enough to slog along in a drysuit and all the clobber.

#14 ·
You're totally right. As are the other guys/gals that have taken the time to post. Those divers weren't to know my personal circumstances but it was funny to see the look of confusion on both of their faces.

I've just re-read my OP to make sure that I'm not coming across in the wrong way. I don't mean to sound judgmental of them or anything and yes I know it can be tricky to give compliments or be positive about something/someone without sounding patronising but I'm always up for a laugh, even if it is at my own expense. You have to have a sense of humour in life cos you only get one shot at it and it's gotta be fun, eh?

BTW, those webbed gloves posted above are pretty much exactly the same as the ones that I use and they make so much difference especially if there's any current. The last time my girlfriend and I dived together, I took my gloves off and gave them to her to try. She loved them and said she preferred them to fins. So who knows? Maybe those newfangled webbed gloves things will take off :wink:

#15 ·
I have to admit that I was stunned the first time seing a diver happy passing by without fins. First thought, something is different. Second thought, Oh, yes, he doesnt have fins. Third thought, he managed just fine. Why do I bother with these awkward fins?
cheers

#20 ·
I certainly do remember that one. Those 2 weeks in SA were awesome. The best shark dives i've ever done were all on that trip (apart form a Whale Shark in Sharm). And the Sardine Run? Well, what more can I say? It doesn't get much better than that, eh? Not to mention, that's where we first met. The beginning of a beautiful relationship :wink:

For everyone else, just to explain that pic a little. Would you believe that I'm the guy on the left, yep, the one with no fins :wink: and the bloke behind me is holding me still. There were scores of sharks around us being fed so we were briefed to keep our hands tucked in close to our body, which basically meant that I couldn't move in the water at all.

#19 ·
So... is this the wheeliebloke who did my OW and AOW? If so - let me know next time you and G are heading to stoney and I'll do my best to come up and splash about with you two :)

If not, hiya anyway and maybe see you in the water some time... I may peer at you a bit but that's only to see if the diver without fins is someone I know or not.

#21 ·
Yes, this is the wheeliebloke that did your OW/AOW. I'm still trying to convince G to try UK diving. This year may be the year, she wants to dive with seals so it looks like a drysuit course for her and a trip to the Farnes/Lundy or similar at some point. Which reminds me, the last time I dived in the Farne Islands, I was just about to do a seated entry from the boat and a diver from another boat moored nearby shouted over 'Diver, diver, you've forgotten your fins!' He was just trying to be helpful, but it does make me chuckle :teeth: (Does that count as bringing it back on topic?;))

#22 ·
I've caught myself staring at an amputee who dives at chepstow occaisionally with a prosthetic under a drysuit - my engineers brain had engaged and i was wondering if he had a special diving leg manufactured specifically for use with fins due to the different forces in play or whether it was his normal walking leg.

#23 ·
I once met a guy through the Scuba Trust who was a bilateral amputee and an engineer. He made his own diving prosthetics with fins built in. Only for warm water use though, I'd guess. I don't know what he did for colder climes, that's assuming he dived in colder water.

#24 · (Edited)
this thread set me thinking about the issues you probably face entering / exiting the water and how to solve them. I can imagine the faces on a busy sunday at Stoney Cove, as you rig a rope up to the gate and roll into the water down the slipway in the wheelchair, like a cross between the majestic launching of a new ship and a last of the summer wine sketch.

Being serious - I would imagine that once you are in, you are capable of a good speed with the webbed gloves? I've used them surfing and found them excellent.

I found this guy quite inspiring http://www.facebook.com/mpjscuba?sk=notes

He overcame muscular dystrophy and went diving...
Disabled man goes scuba diving - Bing Videos

#26 · (Edited)
this thread set me thinking about the issues you probably face entering / exiting the water and how to solve them. I can imagine the faces on a busy sunday at Stoney Cove, as you rig a rope up to the gate and roll into the water down the slipway in the wheelchair, like a cross between the majestic launching of a new ship and a last of the summer wine sketch.

Being serious - I would imagine that once you are in, you are capable of a good speed with the webbed gloves? I've used them surfing and found them excellent.

I found this guy quite inspiring Matthew Johnston | Facebook

He overcame muscular dystrophy and went diving...
Disabled man goes scuba diving - Bing Videos
To get in to the water, I transfer from my chair to the floor and then kit up by the waters edge and do a controlled seated entry, very similar to this video Click here. The main difference being the height from the quayside to the water so after I've pushed away from the side I do the usual with my hands, one over my mask and reg and the other one over my weightbelt buckle.

I can swim faster when wearing a shorty in the Red Sea, for example, than I can when in Stoney wearing a drysuit. The extra bulk of kit when diving in the UK means everything happens a lot slower. But that's the way I like to dive anyway, just take everything slowly and make your air last longer.

#28 ·
We have had various amputee divers aboard. A couple had a prosthetic that they could wear under their suit, at least one didn't. We have also had a totally blind guy onboard for a week too - he was always first to be ready and banged his head a lot less than everyone else after 24hrs!
Unfortunatley we are not very wheelchair friendly as all our cabins are below decks :( , but you could stay on shore and dive dayboat with only two steps to contend with.

#29 ·
this is a good thread. Thanks Wheeliebloke - your approach has meant I have felt comfortable asking questions and having a little joke with you. You have a great attitude - a mix of friendliness and toughness but also accommodating and not too touchy. Hope to meet you at a dive site one day. If you are ironing at NDAC I will definitely be there (provided I get my finger out and fill in the form) Only thing I don't want to do is if I see a chap in a wheelchair there and say " hello are you wheeliebloke?" and if it isn't you it is going to sound a bit odd :D -

And - (not wishing to patronise/injur pride/) if you need help getting an ironing board to the bottom and back again - I for one can help if asked and I'm sure others will too. I'm sure 2 on a lift bag bungied together will be the same to lift as one although I would imagine them to be a bit awkward if they open up!!

#30 ·
Thank you very much. I hope that everyone who reads this thread adopts the same attitude as you. I quite often get asked questions about diving with my disability and i'm very open to answering them, as long as they're asked out of genuine interest.

By all means, come and say hi if you see me at NDAC. Thanks for the offer of help too. I may just take you up on it.

Oh, and to save your embarassment, if you see me there you may be more comfortable asking if my name is Luke. :wink:

#31 ·
Re webbed gloves I find the 5mm Beaver ones the best for "pull". I cut trigger-finger holes for inflating or other detail work (DSMB, camera etc.) and half cut the wrists so I can de-kit (weights, BCD etc.) on water exit without losing the gloves. I have tried about seven different types and haven't yet found anything better. I also always have a spare pair on the boat, having lost one whilst sat on the dive deck once and nearly ended my week's diving early!

#32 ·
Hey Ralph, how's things? Long time no see/hear etc. I've got some of those Beaver 5mm gloves and I've only used them once and didn't like them. I found them too thick to be useful. I wear 2 pairs of gloves when diving in cold water. A pair of 2mm gloves and my 2mm webbed ones on top. It works a treat because I can take off the webbed ones if I need to and I still have some thermal protection.

#33 ·
Out of interest have you tried using dry gloves with the webbed ones over the top, I'd imagine with the right glove the webbed ones should be easier to take on and off (if youwent for a "slippy" dryglove rather than the normal "grippy" one), of course I dunno if you might have problems getting webbed gloves large enough to fit over drygloves.

#36 ·
I've tried a load of them, all sat in my "spares" case. Personal preference is the Beaver ones but with the finger cuts for detail. I imagine instructing requires different ability to make signs. Other than half-a-tank, 50-bar (rarely used hee hee) and okay (which I do the hand on head version) I don't need much dexterity. The fear is getting caught in a raging current and not having enough "pull", which some of the thinner ones seemed to lack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.