YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Scubapro "folding" knife

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  24601 
#1 ·
I'm probably being either a muppet or just feak and weeble...

Just got a Scubapro jack knife. It's lovely and shiny and sharp. It opened with a very definite SNAP and now I can't get the sodding thing to close. I got it for its compact size to attach to a harness, so unfolded is less helpful, as well as unsafe, what with the blade all exposed as it is currently.

Any suggestions on how to close it without losing some extremities? Silicon grease on the mechanism? Assuming it does re-fold, I don't fancy taking it diving, having to use it, and then having to spend the rest of the dive carefully not shanking my buddy or cutting a hose.

Anyone experienced this? Should I just return it, and if so, what should I get instead? Compact bcd knife, cuts rope (line less crucial as I have a line cutter), easy to deploy and re-stow?

Cheers

#10 · (Edited)
Aha! Muppetry! I had tried pressing the release button and nothing had happened. Didn't realize it's a bit stiff and I needed to press harder (that's what she said).

Fair point about it's legality, nickb. My friend's hubby is a cop so I'll check with him. I bought from a reputable dive shop, so I'd hope if it's legal to sell then it's legal to own.

Thanks all for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.