YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

exercise before diving

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Hellenic Diver 
#1 ·
I am in training for a 1/2 marathon, which is quite a challenge given my bmi of 34 and lack of any history of running. I'm currently on week 7 of a 12 week plan (so 1/2 way there:) but I've not run this week due to man flu.
My training plan is calling for longer and longer runs on the weekend but next weekend I am diving. Normally if I am diving I skip a run or make it up in the week. But I'm not going to get a 75min run in this week. I'm seal diving off Lundy on Saturday, max depth 20m, then off to Salcome on Sunday. 35m max no more than 15 mins deco.
Am I increasing my risk of DCI if I go for a run on the Sunday morning?

So far the running is proving a great benefit - I find finning much easier.

Mike

#3 ·
It's a bit difficult to say. The work that suggests a decrease in DCI with exercise before diving is with animals and 18-24 hours before. There is evidence that exercise within a few (say 4 hours) before diving may increase risk. Almost certainly within 4hrs, possibly longer, after will increase risk.
Your window is not very large and given your size you may already be at greater risk than those navy men on whom some of the early work was done.
But far be it for me to discourage exercise and fitness. It gets light at 5.30 get up early and do your run in the week.
Tim Digger

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry about it too much, train friday night and then again on monday and don't worry about the runs over the weekend. Its a plan so don't worry about altering a few runs around to make some room for a weekend off. You may find giving your legs a rest will offer more benefits down the line as you will allow the muscles to rest and repair themselves.

#7 ·
#8 ·
hi Mike.
Personally I would say (with no medical qualification whatsoever) that it's about risk and likelihood. No-one with sense will tell you do this and you won't get a bend as we all know that people get bends for no good reason.

I would:
1/. Light exercise a good 6hrs before a dive - nothing too heavy.
2/. Think about rehydration and the effect of the exercise.
3/. No exercise for a good 16hrs after a dive

The problem with the above is it isn't a guarantee. How about going on the loop at 100% after the run :D - or take a 3 litre pony on the run with you.... now that WILL kill you!!

#13 ·
the second one is interesting as it seems to point to the effect of exercise 2hrs before a dive increasing circulation perhaps opening up the blood vessels and I would imagine a sort of flushing through effect. That said it was stated that the mechanism of what is happening is unclear and in physiology nothing is ever that simple

#10 ·
You can get access to the complete files from ingentaconnect Home and create a free account.

However, as Tim Digger points out, some of these experiments were done in rats, rather than humans. The venous bubble count experiment was done on military divers.

Regards

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Problem solved - ropes off on Sunday is 0730 so there is no way I'll be arsed getting up early enough to go for a decent run on Sunday morning. I'll try and squeeze an extra one in on Friday or skip one and start back with the plan on Monday.

Cheers for all the pointers - some useful reading for me there. The next weekend that interferes with the traiing schedule is a mix weekend so I'll not be taking any chances there,

#15 ·
I don't suppose the likes of the SBS and US Navy Seals stop excercising prior to a dive. Im fact I imagine there are times that they excercise very hard before diving as a regular scenario. Not comparable I know but would be interesting how they deal with it. Sorry if this is out of turn but I have to confess to not reading the entire thread.

#17 ·
I'm not super unfit. I did the 12 minute run test thing that was posted in a YD thread the other day. I lost the thread but managed 1.36 miles in 12 minutes (and then continued at that pace until I'd done my 25 minute run). That's 2188m, or average for the cooper test.

#21 ·
Gents,

Why dont you just go straight to the horses mouth?? jeez, that Rubicon directory only contains snippets..

Download this, take a read, have a heart attack about its reccomendations NOT to breath high PPO2 oxygen, due to long term brain damage, and then report back in :)

http://www.si.edu/dive/pdfs/proceedings_haldane.pdf

This is probably the best read you'll get available at the moment.

#23 ·
Got the hard copy at home thanks to the Smithsonian ;)

Regards

#22 ·
ohh as for excercise, the report says moderatw excercise and moderate dehydration before a dive are beneficial. TOOO much dehydration is bad. Likewise OVER hydration is bad, and moderate excercise on decompression is good.

Really interesting reading :)

#25 ·
Excersize 12 hours before a dive should be beneficial, while a no no after the dive, however saying that I had my bend 12 hours after a good cardio session at the gym... Make sure your properly hydrated before the dive!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.