Online storage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online storage

Not-quite-so-New Member oneveryminute's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houseplant View Post
    i'm a recent convert to dropbox. i think it's great, but don't documents have to be stored on at least one hard drive?
    Yes, they do. Dropbox synchronises a folder and it's contents amongst two or more devices, as well as into "the cloud" for web-based access.

Box on the other hand does not. It is purely a virtual hard drive which exists wholly in the cloud - upload your documents to it, and invite "collaborators" via email. I use both services personally. Box is the best fit for the OP based on stated requirements.

Ideally they should be uploaded and not remain on the originating machine....[snipped].....I want to send into the cloud, delete from my machine and share a password and url with others
    Cheers,

I.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneveryminute For This Useful Post:

63322 (28-12-11), Neill (27-12-11)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

South West Mafia - Peoples Republic of Torpoint
    Thanks
    I have signed up with box - perfect for any doc/media sharing. Many thanks.
    diving ay! bloody expensive, bloody cold and bloody heavy. Still pretty fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 496 Posts
    I use SugarSync. Apparently it's better than Dropbox. I can not say I have made a comparison per say but from some friends in the know they reccomended me this.

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...paign=referral

Now the link I posted is a referal so if you join you get extra free storage and so do I. I'm not suggesting to join just because for this. For me it's working well and I can give the thumbs up.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    As I have just changed OS I've gone with Ubuntu One. 5 GBs for free! Better than Dropbox IMO

South West Mafia - Peoples Republic of Torpoint
    Thanks
    Box.com is working out well for me. 5GB free and private and by invitation folders. Cool - I have written stuff - uploaded it and deleted it on my laptop so it exists in the 'cloud' only. Really good recommend it. I now have an app which grabs stuff online and uploads to my box account where it can be sorted into folders.

Thanks all

N
    diving ay! bloody expensive, bloody cold and bloody heavy. Still pretty fish.

Thanks
    Just a small caveat. Are you sure you really want to delete all your local copies and only have it in the Cloud? I'd expect that most of their T&Cs will say something like "we are not responsible for losing your files and you should keep your own backups".

If you're happy with the possibility of losing everything, then that's fine, but I'd personally have a backup, even if it's just on a portable hard drive that I never use.

Life is a journey not a destination ...
    Thanks
    Dropbox is good but if you want an extra level of security have a look at this app

SecretSync - Client-side encryption for Dropbox

Dropbox will encrypt your data before storage. This app encrypts your data before it even goes to dropox.

Gary
    A computer is your best friend until it goes wrong

www.avcsol.com

Thanks
    Hi, if you need a cloud only for transferring personal data, then you can use public services, and if you need a secure cloud, that degree of security was very high, and if you need to create your own cloud for your projects, then in such a case it’s better to turn to real professionals, such as this company http://alpacked.io/, these guys do real miracles in the field of development, I strongly advise you to contact them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12