YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Online storage

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  RorryMC 
#1 ·
I am looking for a way to share files with another person. Ideally they should be uploaded and not remain on the originating machine. I have seen several services but they seem to be backups copying from source folders. I want to send into the cloud, delete from my machine and share a password and url with others. Ideally for docs and media files. doesn't need to be huge capactiy and cheap/free would be nice - any ideas.

TIA

Neill

#11 ·
Yes, they do. Dropbox synchronises a folder and it's contents amongst two or more devices, as well as into "the cloud" for web-based access.

Box on the other hand does not. It is purely a virtual hard drive which exists wholly in the cloud - upload your documents to it, and invite "collaborators" via email. I use both services personally. Box is the best fit for the OP based on stated requirements.

Ideally they should be uploaded and not remain on the originating machine....[snipped].....I want to send into the cloud, delete from my machine and share a password and url with others
Cheers,

I.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Box.com is working out well for me. 5GB free and private and by invitation folders. Cool - I have written stuff - uploaded it and deleted it on my laptop so it exists in the 'cloud' only. Really good recommend it. I now have an app which grabs stuff online and uploads to my box account where it can be sorted into folders.

Thanks all

N

#16 ·
Just a small caveat. Are you sure you really want to delete all your local copies and only have it in the Cloud? I'd expect that most of their T&Cs will say something like "we are not responsible for losing your files and you should keep your own backups".

If you're happy with the possibility of losing everything, then that's fine, but I'd personally have a backup, even if it's just on a portable hard drive that I never use.

#18 ·
Hi, if you need a cloud only for transferring personal data, then you can use public services, and if you need a secure cloud, that degree of security was very high, and if you need to create your own cloud for your projects, then in such a case it’s better to turn to real professionals, such as this company http://alpacked.io/, these guys do real miracles in the field of development, I strongly advise you to contact them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.