Megalodon Options
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Megalodon Options

Thanks

Megalodon Options

Hi, I've been researching the Megalodon for some time now (amongst other rebreathers, but 95% settled on a Meg, COPIS/COPIS2 version, I don't know the difference just yet, but the MCCR version in its current CE issue anyhow)

Just wondering what people thought of the MEG sizes and variations itself and which is most appealing configuration.

Megalodon parts are quite expensive, the canisters themselves aren't cheap so I think you need to know the version that's right for you before you go ordering it, so wondering what people's opinions were on the MEG versions, I know of the Standard, Tall, Cave and Mini Meg.

Also the scrubber sizes. I only know of the 8lb/5.5lb/4lb versions.

(I'm currently thinking a cave cut meg with 5.5lb radial canister, I think the 3-4 hour scrubber life of the 5.5lb radial would be sufficient for 2 typical RIB/quarry dives in UK waters). Is the 8lb canister over-kill, or is the standard version with 8lb scrubber the best all rounder?

Also how do people rate the WOB on the Meg, I tried an APD Vision recently and did not find the WOB the best, probably worse than O.C. to be honest, so just wondered how others thought the Meg's WOB stacked up.

Thanks in advance (sorry if this means can open, worms everywhere, but the MEG board is quiet at the moment, might need a little shake up!)
    Cold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I m 6ft2" and had the standard and the long can...The long can is definitely easier for kitting up as it sits at the base of your spine..The 5.5lb radial will be plenty suffice..I have the 8lb radial and after about 4 dives I gave up and binned the lime as I didnt know how long was left but it showed no signs of giving up!

I ve never been able to tell the difference in WOB in all the units i ve dived..probably when the shit hits the fan you will notice but under normal diving I cant tell.

If you get shadow mounts have them welded on as they move all over the place with stainless bands..Personally I prefer the tiger gear.

The COPIS is a good unit...ask pasty man stan, hes got one and I think he likes it.

Thanks
    thanks that's helpful, I've seen the shadow mounts advertised and thought eeek welded on....might cause problems down the line but if that's the better option great.

I plan on getting dumpy steel 3's, golem gear's shrimp bov, narked at 90 stand, but I don't know whether to go standard can, long can, cave can. I think the mini meg will be too limited, but of the other options I just don't know, the can's and scrubber canisters are themselves pretty expensive so I'd rather get just the one that will suit the best of both worlds.

I'm only 5"10-5"11, so perhaps tall can might over kill for me. So I'm thinking standard or cave meg, either 8lb radial or 5.5lb radial.

I don't know the difference between COPIS 1 and COPIS 2 versions, so I plead ignorance there, the ISC site isn't the most informative. I've heard of Tiger gear, but I don't know what it involves. Seen plenty of the golem gear and that looks great and Meg friendly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Tiger Gear is the name of the cylinder mounting brackets, Standard can with 5.5 scrubber is basic Meg set up. Apecs 2.06 versions seem to be the most frequent Megs that come up for sale, 2nd hand at around 3-3500
    Metal Sub Mounts work well, Kent tooling stand helps take weight off your belt

Thanks
    if you go for the long can you wont need the stand..dont think they make 1st copis anymore...The COPIS 2 has a hud, APECS style controller and 2 battery packs I think.

Golem shrimp very nice but the ISC bov isnt bad either.

Only get the mini can if you want to travel with it. You can fit most of that in carry on luggage then if they dont weigh it, otherwise its too short

Thanks
    Thanks for the info on the tiger gear, I downloaded the ISC retail price list from their site and they list COPIS1 and COPIS2 so I can't be sure if they do both still.

I'm more keen on the MCCR than ECCR, but that's just me.

Not 100% on the backmounted counterlungs, think the chest mounted lungs will do the trick for just now.

I like the narked at 90 stand as it gets really good write ups and having seen it in the flesh it looks good (can store an inflation cylinder beneath the stand too).

Does the standard can accept the 8lb scrubber aswell as the 5.5lb? If it accepts both, does that mean it leaves an air pocket in the can when using the 5.5?

Is the HUD essential in people's opinions?

I fancy putting a shearwater predator on the COPIS version, is that possible as a second redundant ppo2 display? Or is that overkill if you've the HUD aswell, which I think is independent?

Sorry to be abit clueless, detail on the meg doesn't seem to be *out there* like it is with APD
    Cheers

Thanks
    I'd go for the standard or long can - i'm only 5'7" but use a Kent Tooling stand to take the weight off when I'm sat in it. There are quite a few megs in the southwest and I think we all use Kent brackets for the cylinders.
    The standard can & head will fit in a hand luggage size case.
    I think you'll struggle to get dumpy 3s as they're like hen's teeth these days. Bog standard 3s are fine and cheaper.

The Narked at 90 stand is a nice bit of kit but not very RIB friendly as it can develop some sharp edges - we always pull Charley's over the tube sideways.
    I'd say a HUD is essential. I upgraded to Apecs 2.7 with a predator and it does everything I need.
    Last edited by Timw; 21-01-12 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Okay I'll look at the kent tooling stand aswell, cheers, though the narked at 90 looked very good. Heard dumpy 3 helps distribute the weight more evenly and trims out abit better, so don't mind buying dumpy 3's new if i must and they are still made.

that does still leave the question, does the standard can allow both the 8lb and the 5.5lb scrubber canister to fit inside it, and wouldn't that mean when using the smaller of the two canister's, you'd contain an air pocket affecting buoyancy perhaps?

Looking at buying the meg new later in the year. golem shrimp bov looks very good so probably go that way.

Do most MEG users use the HUD?

Thanks
    Don't get me wrong - the [email protected] stand is very good but the alloy edges can get a bit sharp - probably not a real issue but I'm paranoid about my tubes
    I don't think anyone in uk stocks the Heiser 3s - you may be able to get some from Germany...
    There's a 3" spacer at e bottom of the can with the 5.5lb scrubber - part of what makes it so flood tolerant. The 8lb doesn't use the spacer in the can.
    Give Dennis Vessey at Meg Uk a call - he'll explain all the options out there.

Thanks
    If it's not possible to do the dumpy 3's just have to go faber 3's, might not be able to flog a dead horse but will get some life out of my pony! I'd rather avoid having a spacer if I could help it, so might just have to be the 8lb with the standard can or 5.5lb with the cave can, might be over-kill on the lime with the 8lb fill, but I plan on diving UK waters mostly, and all year round so extra scrubber material might be a bonus for the winter months, and I'd like to dive the arctic in the distant future.

Wouldn't feel right about giving Meg UK a shout as I've already committed to doing my training with richie stevenson, would be abit cheeky of me :s

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast