Online payment gateways
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online payment gateways

GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Thanks

Online payment gateways

Hi All,

A bit of a question for those of you out there who have put together online shops. Has anyone got any good/bad experiences with the different payment gateways. Currently I'm using Paypal, but I can't help but feel there must be better or cheaper options out there.

Also, for those who don't have their own shops, but use them, how do you prefer to pay on online stores? Is paypal good for you, or would you rather have a credit/debit card option without using paypal?

Thanks
    John
    http://www.amphibian-productions.com/diving
    GUE Instruction, Santi UK Distributor, Suex, and Divesoft Equipment
    Santi Online Store Suex Online Store

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Cheapest way of doing non-Paypal is something like Mals-e. You need a chip n pin machine and you do it like a phone sale. Go Dive use this method, for example. If you don't have a chip n pin machine then Paypal.
    Currently attired in Seaskin's finest

www.kitfondle.co.uk
    Kit That Makes Brave Men Weep

www.nusac.info
    A rather brilliant place to dive

Who f#cked with your edit button? sbc23cam's Avatar
    Thanks
    John,

I'm just about to sign up with e-way. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts people have.

Eway seems to be about 25 a month, with 33p transaction charge. Lots of cart extensions available.

Steve

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist............... .
    Thanks
    After putting a big order through with you I felt sorry for doing so as I know how much they charge....
    For smaller items defo Paypal no issues but for your bigger ticket item stuff I would go so far as to prefer paying you by bank transfer or any way other than Paypal as that's got to be either your margin or my price for no great reason.

Keyboard Worrier
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 644 Posts
    Bank transfers should be the way forward now as most seem to do instant transfers now, and with online banking you can check its been received.
    But I suppose there's always the doubt the order is coming from someone who has hacked an account, at least credit card system should be more protection.

Gone to pastures new
    Thanks
    Paypal for small bills OK but for larger bills credit card; if I know you I'd consider bank transfer but for an unknown seller then as a buyer no chance.
    --
    Off to pastures new

UK GUE Instructor Brian of Aquanauts's Avatar
    Edinburgh, Plymouth & now a small boat off the coast of Germany
    Thanks
    I've had a bit of experience.

We started our online shop with Mals ecommerce, which worked absolutely fine as we had a card machine in the shop, it was free but we always had concerns as officially this method breaks all the credit card processing rules and if reported we would lose our credit card facility in the shop. The most worrying thing is that this method required collecting and keeping peoples card details on our own server, which is secure but requires a lot of effort and time to keep it so. Offline card processing is not recommended by anyone, and if customers knew would be a massive problem with them. The average ecommerce site gets more than 50 hack attempts every day mostly by script kiddies looking for age old vulnerabilities, but it's safer to use a direct processing method. Also there is no way of discovering fraud, we never got a charge back then, but there's so much credit card fraud going on now that I would never go back to this method, especially for high ticket items.

I then ran google shopping for a while which was awesome, especially as when they started up they had dirt cheap rates of about 20p a transaction, now they charge about the same amount as paypal. What was good is that for those that have an account shopping is very quick, as is simply a case of entering an email address and password. Paypal is the same as this but more widely used. The downside of both of these is that they charge ALOT compared to other methods, and don't offer a whole heap of security against chargebacks, but they do offer some.

We now use worldpay, and I have to say the service is excellent. We have bought an extra layer of security at 6p per transaction that allows us to risk profile transactions. Further if we're unsure of a transaction we can call up the help line and they run reports on the card, IP address used and email address, and can then give us even more detailed info about the user and what they may have bought recently under what names and what email addresses. It is very very easy to spot fraud now. Also we is the cheapest option we've ever had. debit cards are about 19p and credit cards quite a small percentage compared to paypal and google. I'd recommend this if you have any more than about £2000 a month in transactions, however you have to pass quite a number of security checks and have a high personal credit score.

Hope this helps, if you need any more advice you have my number.

Good luck,

Bri

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brian of Aquanauts For This Useful Post:

722 (18-02-12), johnkendall (17-02-12), Johnonthesevern (20-02-12), sbc23cam (18-02-12)

Thanks
    We use google check out ( I think it is) within our lifeguard world, may not be the cheapest but works really well, and simply.

I also have a personal Nochex account (may not be spelt correctly) works well from my end but no idea on the sellers side. I still like pay pal but the costs are an issue
    Andy

www.budediveclub.co.uk

http://www.gafirs.org.uk

If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Thanks
    Our online shop uses iDeal, direct bank transfer, PayPal and cash on delivery. They are by far the most common options out here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkendall View Post
    Also, for those who don't have their own shops, but use them, how do you prefer to pay on online stores? Is paypal good for you, or would you rather have a credit/debit card option without using paypal?
    Credit Card, always - either direct or via PayPal. I wouldn't use anything more complicated and wouldn't buy from any shop that wants direct transfers.

Matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast