Yearly fitness for instructors - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Yearly fitness for instructors

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    If you believe the total immersion guys (and some other swimming books I have) most of the power comes from the core in front crawl not upper body. Certainly made my swimming 20-30% easier virtually over night
    Absolutely Graham. The core muscles of the body are responsible of the body rotation that powers the arm into the point where the lats an the arm muscles initiate the pull phase of the stroke. This, combined with the fact that a 20 - 30% improvement was possible with technique ( rather that a 20-30% increase in cv fitness) I think supports the arguement that swimming front crawl isnt as specific a dive fitness assessment as other forms of exercise would be. As a GUE Instructor I don't imagine you do much in the way of body rotation and arm swimming as it would have the rather unfortunate side effect of ruining your fabulousness!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimoakes View Post
    Absolutely Graham. The core muscles of the body are responsible of the body rotation that powers the arm into the point where the lats an the arm muscles initiate the pull phase of the stroke. This, combined with the fact that a 20 - 30% improvement was possible with technique ( rather that a 20-30% increase in cv fitness) I think supports the arguement that swimming front crawl isnt as specific a dive fitness assessment as other forms of exercise would be. As a GUE Instructor I don't imagine you do much in the way of body rotation and arm swimming as it would have the rather unfortunate side effect of ruining your fabulousness!
    Try not to flap (atleast when people are watching lol) but a strong core is very important for body position.

At the end of the day we agree (I think) fitness is important. The dive community could assess by running or rowing or bleep test or other measure but then there is nothing in diving with the same movements as diving. If you accept that then swimming is as good as any measure and although very technique dependant it does offer some advantages for an aquatic activity
    Oh herro

Notice my avatar. I am hard astern. BJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,046 Posts
    How does the ECG machine attach while swimming?
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical). Consistently the top-selling scuba diving book on Amazon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

PMs are being edited
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    How does the ECG machine attach while swimming?
    Rectal probe. Well, at least the H version does.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Hats For This Useful Post:

bowe310s (23-02-12)

Keyboard Worrier
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 644 Posts
    I'd agree a swimming test is as good as anything as a basic fitness test, but consider the two following candidates I've had:

Trainee stuntman with rock climbing, trampolining, horse riding etc as other required disciplines - could do the 400m in 5 mins, but since they were 7 stone wringing wet, could barely put on a tank and getting a person out of the water was 'barely able'.
    Tired diver tow - barely scraped the minimum time.

6ft ten man mountain, barely scraped the 400m swim time, yet could lift a diver fully kitted out of the water whilst fully kitted.
    Smashed the tired diver times as he had legs like tree trunks.

I know which I'd consider more useful than the swimming test seems to indicate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bowe310s For This Useful Post:

12480 (23-02-12)

Thanks
    Hmm, great idea. I think that instructors also should have such exams, haha. Of course, I think that almost all of them are professionals and do sport every day. I'm trying to do the same. Click here if you want to find the app for sport, that I'm using.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011