Does diving in the UK make you a better diver? - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Does diving in the UK make you a better diver?

Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe ChristianG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually Apples and Cheese go together very well! You should know that particularly since you live Germany.

So what about divers who "learned" when there were no schools to teach them? Are there in fact any schools out there that teach "round the world" diving? I rather doubt it.

But then I do believe that most diving schools, including the BSAC ones, teach the rudiments of diving and then throw the hapless student out into the real world (as do the schools and universities etc) and that student either does, or does not, become a real diver.

Me? I first became a diver in '57 (I think) and I'm still learning.

As for British divers being better than all others (I've not dived, nor am I ever likely to, in British waters) that's a load of oLd cobblers. Diving depends on the conditions of the day, the water to be dived in and a host of other things I couldn't be bothered with ATM, but, whatever one does, if in ANY doubt can the dive.
    Christian

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG
    There is no point at all in getting a killer picture if that picture kills you
    - CG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    There's a cracking down current off Swanage near the Big Hole. Caught be by surprise the first time I went through it. I didn't have a DSMB but I had an awful lot of air in my BCD and was still heading down.

deeply confused
    Third rock from the huge ball of burning gas
    Thanks
    Sounds trite, but just diving makes you a better diver. I am a better diver with several hundred dives under my belt than I was when I started. Every dive is a learning opportunity: either you seize that or you don't. And there is no such thing as a bad dive. I had a couple (or more) where things went tits up and I learned from that. So long as you don't start repeating mistakes you have to be progressing :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I think it does not depend of country

Thanks
    I've heard reports of experienced UK divers suffering vertigo in the Red Sea as well as Red Sea trained divers freaking at lack of vis in UK waters.

Thanks
    For diving you always need money, expensive pleasure

Thanks
    I also love diving.
    Last edited by Mitchha; 26-06-20 at 06:23 AM.