Someone asks to join you and your buddy 'on spec' - what do you do?
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone asks to join you and your buddy 'on spec' - what do you do?

Sport Diver Staff
    Thanks

Someone asks to join you and your buddy 'on spec' - what do you do?

Bit different this month.

The following is a common scenario that could happen at an inland site or a coastal dive site. You and your buddy are getting ready to get in the water when another diver rocks up semi-kitted. His buddy hasn't shown up and he asks if he can join you.

Would you invite him to make a three-man team, or decline his company - and what factors would determine your answer?
    Sport Diver magazine
    (Print, PC and iPad/iPhone - other tablet formats coming soon!)
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.sportdiver.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Spider Crabs can just f*ck off Kirstie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 979 Posts
    Mmmm, for me it would depend on the depth and 'difficulty' of the site. If it was a shallow bimble under 10m then I'd probably say yes. However, if it was at our local 50m wall shore dive, I'd be much less inclined to jump in with a complete stranger if I was planning to do a deep dive.

I'd find it quite hard to say no, though, if he or she were standing in front of me. I'd probably make all sorts of crap excuses instead
    If you have to think about it for more than thirty seconds, you probably shouldn't get in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,421 Posts
    No thanks - you know nothing about the person. He knows nothing of your plans or the dive your going to do.

I'd probably relent if it was a good looking lady but i'm shallow like that.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 42 For This Useful Post:

jasonbridges (22-04-12), Spirit of Guernsey (20-04-12)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Spider Crabs can just f*ck off Kirstie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyFox View Post
    No thanks - you know nothing about the person. He knows nothing of your plans or the dive your going to do.
    Oooh, you're harsh!
    If you have to think about it for more than thirty seconds, you probably shouldn't get in.

Thanks
    I think it is a tough one.

1. Depends on the dive, if a difficult / technical dive that they are not capable of they can shag off if they want me to change my plans to allow them join me.
    2. If I know the diver I personally would feel a sense of obligation to allow them to tog off and join me even though I hate diving in trios. I would hate to have it happen to me whereby after being left down by my buddy some bollox wouldnt let me join them so I wouldnt do it to someone else.
    3. If it was someone I didnt know, or had no idea of their diving ability then I would try and find an excuse to let them down gently, e.g. a skills dive, outside their capabilities etc etc
    This place went down the hill so quickly after the VS takeover that most of the members have gone to www. the dive forum . com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirstie View Post
    Oooh, you're harsh!
    Theres probably a good reason his 'friends' binned him off and went somewhere else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 42 For This Useful Post:

Kirstie (20-04-12)

Thanks
    If she cute tell her no problem...as long as she reciprocates the threesome later :teeth

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baldeagle For This Useful Post:

42 (20-04-12), 666 (20-04-12), jasonbridges (22-04-12), Mark Chase (21-04-12), matthewoutram (20-04-12), Sonicthediver (21-04-12)

more weaselly than a weaselly thing EBT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baldeagle View Post
    If she cute tell her no problem...as long as she reciprocates the threesome later :teeth
    "....and this is my other half, Leroy. Hes bi-curious"

It all depends on the dive and if they seem likely to be a prat.
    Last edited by EBT; 20-04-12 at 05:08 PM.
    "Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines"

What do you get if you insert human DNA into a llama, a rhino and a polar bear? - Banned from London zoo

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EBT For This Useful Post:

1138 (19-05-12), 42 (20-04-12), demonweb (20-04-12), Kahuna (20-04-12)

Thanks
    This has happened to me and a buddy at Capernwray some years ago. We said yes and all was well.
    Not so long ago this sort of thing happened to a few of us at Ecclseton Delph. It didn't go so well (although we all survived).
    I'd probably do it again.

Thanks
    Depends on what I was planning to do on the dive. If it was a training dive, or with a newly qualified buddy, then definitely not. If it was a dive with someone who does not need looking after then I would consider it. To be honest I have been at inland dive sites and people have rocked up and fancied a dive. They are regular to the site, though I may not have dived with them, so its not that much of an issue.
    Would I do this on a dive boat, probably not.

Having said all this, how is this all that different from someone rocking up to a dive club for the first time and going on a club trip. Not everyone does a pool session before diving in OW. If your plan is flexible enough to have an unknown diver with you, then its fine. If the plan does not allow that flexibility, then I would decline. However the inland site I usually dive at is shallow enough that I could do a separate dive with that individual afterwards without that much of an issue.
    The Historical Diving Society
    http://www.thehds.com

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast