Broken Bone advice - any orthopedic docs here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Bone advice - any orthopedic docs here?

Thanks

Broken Bone advice - any orthopedic docs here?

Had a crash yesterday, Missus has a broken clavical.

X-rays show a clean break 1/2 way along the bone, its a very clean break but the bones are nowhere near each other.

Egyptian docs have put it in a sling and say it will knit but I think they are too far apart, the piece nearest the neck is pointing downwards - I know nothing of this sort of shit but to me it looks like someone should go in there and pull it into postition.

Any ideas????
    Last edited by Stevie H; 07-05-12 at 07:14 PM.
    Living and working in Sharm, feel free to pm me for unbiased info.

Sharm info site, Tec Diving in Sharm

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ouch, I know what that feels like (Literally, I did the same 6 weeks ago) The current thinking seems to be to just put it in a sling and let it heal by itself, just don't expect it to be quick.

HTH
    John
    http://www.amphibian-productions.com/diving
    GUE Instruction, Santi UK Distributor, Suex, and Divesoft Equipment
    Santi Online Store Suex Online Store

Dive tart, just can't say no :-) PeeBee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,129 Posts
    ouch, can't help with any knowledge just very best wishes to both of you. SWMBO for the shoulder and you for all the fetching and carrying you are going to have to do for the next few months
    offering guided toggery in Gozo
    http://www.mobydivesgozo.com/photogr...dly_diving.asp
    www.oceanfoto.co.uk
    Spending more time on the other forum, come and find us there

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Broken collar bone? Routine motorcycle injury. Mine have lumps on from all the mends.
    You get a sling and after the first couple you don't bother with it as it makes no difference to how long they take to heal. The sling just lines the ends up but if you don't put the arm in the right place it hurts to remind you to do it right.
    I turned up for one orthopaedics session après break with no sling and carrying a motorcycle helmet. I got told off and was given a new sling. Like did they expect me to drive back to work one handed?
    Don't worry about it. Collar bones just mend themselves. They're like ribs. Really.
    nigelH
    Helium - Because I'm worth it.
    I only show real support for freedom of speech when I demand it for people I totally disagree with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nigelH For This Useful Post:

Captain Calamity (07-05-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,004 Posts
    My left collar bone was broken in a bike crash when I was 18, one half joins the other half which is off set, there is a lump where the two halves joined it has not made any noticeable difference to anything... a sling is all it needs, along with good posture and some pain relief...

Thanks
    No fetching for me, I tore my knee open to the bone and chipped bits of bone off it..... If we were horses they'd put us down!

But get this:

In Egyptian law both parties are to be treated equally until blame is apportioned, so after hospital yesterday I had 8 hours sat infront of a custody Sgt, then sent home after surrendering passport only to be put in handcuffs and put in a prison wagon this morning to be transported 100km to the nearest jail/courthouse.... kept in holding cells for 4 hours then released when they realised it was all the coach drivers fault and told to get a taxi home...... WTF - and they call this "Living the Dream"

Thanks
    Hey Steve
    Hope you guys are OK.....sounds like fun in El Tur. Have a mate who is an orthodox...will text you her number...

Duncan

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DuncanS For This Useful Post:

Stevie H (08-05-12)

probably just mental Mrs Calamity's Avatar
    Thanks
    The idea of the sling is that the weight of the arm (usually) pulls it into place. Don't worry too much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelH View Post
    Broken collar bone? Routine motorcycle injury. Mine have lumps on from all the mends.
    You get a sling and after the first couple you don't bother with it as it makes no difference to how long they take to heal. The sling just lines the ends up but if you don't put the arm in the right place it hurts to remind you to do it right.
    I turned up for one orthopaedics session après break with no sling and carrying a motorcycle helmet. I got told off and was given a new sling. Like did they expect me to drive back to work one handed?
    Don't worry about it. Collar bones just mend themselves. They're like ribs. Really.
    I was going to write something all clever and medical but this pretty much sums it up. The sling will lead to a slightly better lining up of the bones, so probably a good idea unless you are feeling especially rebellious.

On your return to the UK your GP should be your first port of call to get you referred to fracture clinic to ensure all is healing well. If it makes you feel any better the clavicle is the fastest healing bone in the body, and when my mate hit diesel and followed his GS through a hedge the experimental operation he had to rejoin the bits actually delayed the healing process (the mate concerned is an anaesthetic pre-assessment nurse at our local hospital, the surgeon neglected to mention he was the first patient to udergo this new procedure, but thats another story; stick with the sling...)

Thanks
    We live in Sharm. There is no fracture clinic.

Will try to post a pic of the x-ray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast