Solar Panels Fitted - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels Fitted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 604 Posts
    interesting point BTS, as non building fixed panels i.e solar farms, only get 8p per unit FIT, and if farmers think that is worth the investment, maybe people should look again at costs.
    TBH we are all too quick to look at what this cost, and 'payback' times on things. yet in reality, you never buy a car or computer etc etc and look at payback times at all!
    i have had mine in for 6months so far, and have generated 4000 units of electricity. there is all the summer to go yet too! so i am well happy. far better than the 0.1% in the bank!
    not just an Internet diver www.coronationwreck.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

it wasn't me - the big boys made me do it
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKYMARK View Post
    interesting point BTS, as non building fixed panels i.e solar farms, only get 8p per unit FIT, and if farmers think that is worth the investment, maybe people should look again at costs.
    TBH we are all too quick to look at what this cost, and 'payback' times on things. yet in reality, you never buy a car or computer etc etc and look at payback times at all!
    i have had mine in for 6months so far, and have generated 4000 units of electricity. there is all the summer to go yet too! so i am well happy. far better than the 0.1% in the bank!
    Thats why I am having mine fitted - a much better return than the bank, or ISA or anywhere at the moment!
    Roof fittings going up today - I should be generating by Friday!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by little nick View Post
    Thats why I am having mine fitted - a much better return than the bank, or ISA or anywhere at the moment!
    Roof fittings going up today - I should be generating by Friday!
    what type of meter do you have?
    if you have the old style with a rotating disc, it will turn the meter backwards, so it refunds you for what you have used already! the newer ones dont. but the power companies are not changing them until they are due. its great, because you get the FIT plus income from generated at 3p, plus refunded for the 13p units you have bought from the power companies

Losing the Will... Major Clanger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
    Solar panels? Help reduce usage of fossil fuels? reduce your electricity expenditure... what are you, some kind of f***in' hippy...

Burn him, burn him now and balls to the free fifty quid....

FWIW I think they are a good thing, there is a guy down here turning over his whole farm to solar panels, he thinks it is a good thing.... The sun will burn regardless of if we capture the power so it is daft not too....
    IIRC the carbon signature of their production means that it'd be a very very long time before it's offset by the reduction in use of fossil fuels during home generation. So not that environmentally friendly overall.
    Yn dod yn fuan: Y Plymiwch Fforwm Dot Com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger View Post
    IIRC the carbon signature of their production means that it'd be a very very long time before it's offset by the reduction in use of fossil fuels during home generation. So not that environmentally friendly overall.
    dont even get me started on the Carbon foot print nonsense, a great money spinner for the taxman though!
    funny how they worry about carbon dioxide, yet trees love it??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MRKYMARK For This Useful Post:

gobfish1 (15-05-12)

Losing the Will... Major Clanger's Avatar
    Thanks
    dont even get me started on the Carbon foot print nonsense, a great money spinner for the taxman though!
    funny how they worry about carbon dioxide, yet trees love it??
    More trees in the UK now than any time since The Battle of Hastings, or a few days after.
    Yn dod yn fuan: Y Plymiwch Fforwm Dot Com

Thanks
    here is a question, as we are all divers, we work with gases.
    why if this carbon issue is really dangerous, do we work on the same gas calcs they did years ago? i.e 21% O2, 78% nitrogen, and the rest made up of other bits??

by now, our calcs should start to show this dangerous rise in carbon gases??

i am serious about the answer, not being flippant. where is this gas they go on about? and when will it start to appear in our air?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,421 Posts
    here is a question, as we are all divers, we work with gases.
    why if this carbon issue is really dangerous, do we work on the same gas calcs they did years ago? i.e 21% O2, 78% nitrogen, and the rest made up of other bits??

by now, our calcs should start to show this dangerous rise in carbon gases??

i am serious about the answer, not being flippant. where is this gas they go on about? and when will it start to appear in our air?
    that one has been done a few times over the years. Most of the thinking comes from chaos theory where the smallest change can ahve the largest consequences. When Co2 levels reach a tipping point they begin to trigger other events, which begin a positive feedback loop exacerbating the changes. Have a look into things such as the wamring of the Siberian Tundra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyFox View Post
    that one has been done a few times over the years. Most of the thinking comes from chaos theory where the smallest change can ahve the largest consequences. When Co2 levels reach a tipping point they begin to trigger other events, which begin a positive feedback loop exacerbating the changes. Have a look into things such as the wamring of the Siberian Tundra.
    so how do they account for cooling in other areas?

Keyboard Worrier
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
    Solar panels? Help reduce usage of fossil fuels? reduce your electricity expenditure... what are you, some kind of f***in' hippy...

Burn him, burn him now and balls to the free fifty quid....

FWIW I think they are a good thing, there is a guy down here turning over his whole farm to solar panels, he thinks it is a good thing.... The sun will burn regardless of if we capture the power so it is daft not too....
    The farmers are cunning b*stards, they are probably already getting a subsidy not to use the field, so a bit of free leccy is icing...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bowe310s For This Useful Post:

fibrefab2 (22-05-12), IanB (15-05-12), Major Clanger (15-05-12), MRKYMARK (15-05-12)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast