Solar Panels Fitted - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels Fitted

Losing the Will... Major Clanger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Fields around here are full of them. Bit of an eyesore but...
    Yn dod yn fuan: Y Plymiwch Fforwm Dot Com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Keyboard Worrier
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger View Post
    Fields around here are full of them. Bit of an eyesore but...
    Get a petition together and demand they stay in their houses during the hours of daylight ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowe310s View Post
    The farmers are cunning b*stards, they are probably already getting a subsidy not to use the field, so a bit of free leccy is icing...
    true enough, and you can tell they are making money at the moment, as they have gone quiet
    its our government who keeps subsidising them!! (quickly turn point finger at FIT benifactors )
    not just an Internet diver www.coronationwreck.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKYMARK View Post
    so how do they account for cooling in other areas?
    its about global averages, some areas actually may have temperature increases while other decreases. The shift in global averages is around 1 degree.

Keyboard Worrier
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 644 Posts
    true enough, and you can tell they are making money at the moment, as they have gone quiet
    its our government who keeps subsidising them!! (quickly turn point finger at FIT benifactors )
    One of my mates has a warehouse unit on a farm... I say unit - it is the most insulated unit you've ever seen in your life - it has walls made of that expanding foam, about a foot thick.
    Of course originally it wan't a unit, it was a 'potato' store built entirely by a grant, used for a couple of seasons while potato subsidies were in vogue, and now earning the farmer £100 a week!
    Same farmer is a shrewd bugger - doesn't seem to grow or keep much , milks only the system - his latest wheeze is a 10 foot strip around every field - 'wildlife encouragement zone' - nice little earner and he couldn't get his conbine that close to the hedges anyway!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 536 Posts
    Not all of them, as usual, as through history, it is the landowners who make the money. I have friends who lease 500 acres and farm organically. They live in a small dwelling and live pretty much hand-to-mouth, haven't taken a holiday for the last 20 years. They love their animals, Angus, Sheep and Pigs and work from dawn till dusk including weekends. The chap who owns the land doesn't lift a finger save to send the invoices for the lease... I rest my case
    Pronounced 'Hawaay!'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
    Not all of them, as usual, as through history, it is the landowners who make the money. I have friends who lease 500 acres and farm organically. They live in a small dwelling and live pretty much hand-to-mouth, haven't taken a holiday for the last 20 years. They love their animals, Angus, Sheep and Pigs and work from dawn till dusk including weekends. The chap who owns the land doesn't lift a finger save to send the invoices for the lease... I rest my case
    i know of no other business that can grow what they like, when they like, without little thought to market forces, and expect to sell it and make money.
    farmers nowadays need to look further than the end of the farm gate, and be business men. 'love' of any animals has nothing to do with it these days (sadly)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowe310s View Post
    The farmers are cunning b*stards, they are probably already getting a subsidy not to use the field, so a bit of free leccy is icing...
    Not in this case, he grazes sheep, there will still be enough grass growing under the panels for the sheep to eat, he profits twice from the same land... well done Mr farmer.

Not sure the locals like the idea much though...

it wasn't me - the big boys made me do it
    Thanks
    what type of meter do you have?
    if you have the old style with a rotating disc, it will turn the meter backwards, so it refunds you for what you have used already! the newer ones dont. but the power companies are not changing them until they are due. its great, because you get the FIT plus income from generated at 3p, plus refunded for the 13p units you have bought from the power companies
    Sounds good - I'll need to check tonight. As I remember - a new meter was fitted about 5 years back - so I might be unlucky!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by little nick View Post
    Sounds good - I'll need to check tonight. As I remember - a new meter was fitted about 5 years back - so I might be unlucky!
    if it is digital, then no, it wont go backwards, if it has a sinny disc, yep. if its inbetween, ie numbers, but no digital screen, then it stalls them

hope you have an old one!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast