YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Integrated Shearwater Computer

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Major Clanger 
#1 ·
How much to get one integrated with a meg? Break it to me gently...

#14 ·
Technically a Shearwater could act as a Meg controller but Shearwater will not do it due to a contractual agreement and by extension it is my understanding that N@90 won't do anything that is prohibited under the same agreement.

I had a Shearwater on my Meg acting as a PPo2 display and doing online deco. From memory the cost was under $2k:

1 x Shearwater fully unlocked
1 x Shearwater Fischer cable
1 x sealing gland

Just used the secondary port on the Meg head and piggy backed onto the cells. Worked perfectly.

#16 ·
It's a little under £2k to upgrade a 2.06 head to the current 2.7 with a Shearwater. The primary handset is left alone and continues to control the solenoid. The electronics are replaced in the head so the hud runs from the primary and the Shearwater replaces the secondary.
I had a narked at 90 adaptor to connect a Shearwater through a Fischer cable before I upgraded the head - it worked very well but meant I had an extra handset to get in the way.
Dennis did my upgrade.

#21 ·
it's not necessary, but it is a really nice upgrade to use...
It really depends on what you want to get from the upgrade. I struggled to read the meg handsets - especially when deep & dark - I don't have that problem with the shearwater display. Of course, a nice oled upgrade to the handsets would have done the same thing but I haven't heard that it works reliably in cold water yet.
Most of all I just like having all the info in one place. I also carry a standalone Shearwater set on a slightly different gf that gives an identical profile to the integrated one - within a minute on a 2.5 hour dive.
I would also run out of arm space for two shearwaters and the primary handset - that's now clipped off to the lung as I only use it to change the set point.

Shearwater or scooter? I'd go for the shearwater as you'll get to use that on every dive ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.