Voice over IP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice over IP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    I can recommend Mitel's VOIP PBX. 3100's expandable and abut £1k-ish for the basic setup. Includes Voicemail out of the box. Unit is a 2U rack mounted unix box essentially.

Uses Power over Ethernet to power the handsets and you can dump your PC's into the ethernet port on the back of the phone to save cabling.

I was sceptical until I got our Dallas office done - 130 covers with minimal hassle and easily upgradable.
    Sounds interesting. Has anyone used VOIP for 1000+ extensions? What suppliers should I be looking at. The Ericsson MX-ONE PBX currently only does H323 not SIP. Does this Mitel do SIP?

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

more weaselly than a weaselly thing EBT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not sure thats right Andy... that sounds like an old roadmap. I'll have a ferret.
    "Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines"

What do you get if you insert human DNA into a llama, a rhino and a polar bear? - Banned from London zoo

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    Not sure thats right Andy... that sounds like an old roadmap. I'll have a ferret.
    I would hope so - any decent system should be able to offer both SIP and H.323 and SIP to H.323 conversion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    Well, its what the Ericsson technical consultant told me at a meeting two weeks ago. I said I was amazed MX-ONE didnt support SIP and that they were not a contender until it did.

Thanks
    Like everything it needs to be done right. I would challenge the one line link for data and voice traffic though, looks good as a cost saving, but not ideal in practice. Run a large file transfer and watch the small pipes such as a our cross-site links get saturated, so the phones go down between sites! May well be our (poor) implementation of course. I still think it is great stuff, just not going to solve world hunger today, as so many new technologies claim.

For small scale, use Skype, it just works! The conference facility is the mutts nuts in particular.

Thanks

Talking

Can we start by clearing up the confusion; Voice over IP is the encapsulation of voice traffic across an IP Wide Area Network. IP Telephony is the provision of desktop voice services via an IP based local infrastructure.

Sounds interesting. Has anyone used VOIP for 1000+ extensions? What suppliers should I be looking at. The Ericsson MX-ONE PBX currently only does H323 not SIP. Does this Mitel do SIP?
    I typically get involved with large scale projects (typically 5000-20000 handsets across hundreds of locations) but for anything over 1000 handsets I would only consider Cisco or Avaya as they are proven to scale. Donít worry too much about SIP at this point in time as all the major players will have a SIP upgrade to their technology when itís matured a little.

Like everything it needs to be done right. I would challenge the one line link for data and voice traffic though, looks good as a cost saving, but not ideal in practice. Run a large file transfer and watch the small pipes such as a our cross-site links get saturated, so the phones go down between sites!
    Sorry but thatís just not correct. For VoIP implementations you must select a WAN provider that can offer a IP VPN solution that uses Class of Service. This allows the prioritisation of voice and video traffic over all other traffic. Typically things like e-mail and FTP traffic will be given the lowest priority so running a large FTP will not impact voice or even business critical appís like SAP.

Skype is great for free voice calls from home but using the Internet for business class voice communications is not an option.

John

Mark W
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Muncher
    I typically get involved with large scale projects (typically 5000-20000 handsets across hundreds of locations) but for anything over 1000 handsets I would only consider Cisco or Avaya as they are proven to scale. Donít worry too much about SIP at this point in time as all the major players will have a SIP upgrade to their technology when itís matured a little.
    Seconded. Up to 1000 I'd recommend Mitel 3300 (the 3100 is for less than 100 covers, the 3300 is expandable to, well, 4 or 5000. )

Over 750 I'd recommend Avaya. Their kit is gooooooood.

I wouldn't recommend Cisco ever, only because they're an absolute bitch to manage and cost loads more than the competition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    Seconded. Up to 1000 I'd recommend Mitel 3300 (the 3100 is for less than 100 covers, the 3300 is expandable to, well, 4 or 5000. )

Over 750 I'd recommend Avaya. Their kit is gooooooood.

I wouldn't recommend Cisco ever, only because they're an absolute bitch to manage and cost loads more than the competition.
    CISCO switches cost more but are very good. I have worked with them for the last 14 years and have found them very reliable.

We used a NORTEL CS2K which was speced to "call manage" 80 000 extensions. On top of a CISCO switch fabric. They do smaller switches too.

Presenter - info on scuba diving dot com Pen Simon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Two products which are very good -

1 Pulver Communicator from www.pulver.com - free and has good quality video - audio conference available

2 Ineen - from www.ineen.com - also free and is a cut down of a full product which I have been part of the beta testing for - ineen gives good audio quality and restricted, but good video quality and you can video conference too - subject to your own bandwidth limitations

Eyebeam is the full product version of Ineen and has increased specifications with stunning video and audio quality - audio is wb speex, and video capable of CIF 512k - also you can use this product as an interface for IP to Phone calling - which I also use to phone the States etc for a fraction of the price of a normal phone call - and have hands free with no echo!
    Last edited by Pen Simon; 13-05-05 at 01:13 PM.
    http://www.info-on-scuba-diving.com an internet tv channel for scuba divers on all aspects of scuba diving

Thanks
    I work with VoIP regularly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast