Voice over IP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice over IP

Thanks

Voice over IP

Hi all

Has anybody had any dealings with voice over IP. If so can you tell me the pro's and con's please and what your recommendations would be.

Regards

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    We all use Skype (www.skype.com) :

PROS - Its Free
    CONS - You get Bren phoning you all hours of the day or night to talk gash
    Old divers never die - they just go down on old wrecks.

Jay

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_chesney
    Hi all

Has anybody had any dealings with voice over IP. If so can you tell me the pro's and con's please and what your recommendations would be.

Regards

Andy
    Do you mean in an office environment? If so we have got rid off our Meridian system and now full on VOIP. If you need any further info let me know and I will try to help out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    Do you mean in an office environment? If so we have got rid off our Meridian system and now full on VOIP. If you need any further info let me know and I will try to help out.
    Yes sorry it will be for about 1 line with 8 extensions.

Mark W
    Thanks
    I can recommend Mitel's VOIP PBX. 3100's expandable and abut £1k-ish for the basic setup. Includes Voicemail out of the box. Unit is a 2U rack mounted unix box essentially.

Uses Power over Ethernet to power the handsets and you can dump your PC's into the ethernet port on the back of the phone to save cabling.

I was sceptical until I got our Dallas office done - 130 covers with minimal hassle and easily upgradable.

Mark.

Brittlestar Galactica desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you want to have a chat about VOIP give Jason a call on 08707 430999, he's our technical director at work.

We sell VOIP solutions based on Linux and will be able to answer any questions you may have. Just say Rob told you to give him a ring.

If we can't supply what we need we can certainly put you in touch with someone that can as well.

Our boxes also do a lot more then just a PBX. There also have a firewall, mail server, proxy server, ftp server + other things as well.

Hope this helps.
    Rob

Sometimes man will stumble over the truth, usually he'll just pick himself up and carry on!

Mark W
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat
    Our boxes also do a lot more then just a PBX. There also have a firewall, mail server, proxy server, ftp server + other things as well.
    Eek (grimaces) eggs in one basket comes to mind.

If someone does a DOS or mail loop on your mail server (which I've seen more times than I care to remember) the last thing you want is your phone system being knocked out too! Not only can customers not place orders online, or e-mail you, but they can't call you either!

Thanks
    For the requirements you mentioned in your PM..

1 X BT isdn 10 channels quarterly rental charge ?

1 X 2600 Cisco router with IPT capabilites circa £3500

number of Cisco ip phones @ £150 each

Brittlestar Galactica desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    Eek (grimaces) eggs in one basket comes to mind.

If someone does a DOS or mail loop on your mail server (which I've seen more times than I care to remember) the last thing you want is your phone system being knocked out too! Not only can customers not place orders online, or e-mail you, but they can't call you either!

I never said you had to use all the features, there just there if you do. Without knowing the details of the company I wouldn't know what to recomend or exactly how to configure the solution.

The above aside we have loads of these boxes out there with customers already (not all running PBX software) and have never suffered from a DOS attack that I know of. Configure your mail server correctly and its difficult for intruders to saturate your connection.

Most small companies don't have the luxury of being able to spend thousands on a VOIP PBX with separate internet connections just for voice traffic, perimeter firewalls, front end and back end mail servers etc. (although if this is what a company wanted then thats what we'd supply).

You can now also get ADSL services that prioritise VOIP traffic which would help prevent a DOS attack making you un-contactable.

Sorry if this post sounds overly defensive but we've spent lots of time looking at various solutions for different sizes of business. With the limited info available I suggested a solution that may or may not fit the bill but would be a lot cheaper then a dedicated VOIP pbx.

At any rate I'll send some info over to Andy and if he wants we can have a better look at his requirments.
    Rob

Sometimes man will stumble over the truth, usually he'll just pick himself up and carry on!

Thanks

Smile

There's also these guys who are worth a butcher's:

http://www.voip-interactive.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast