YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

lets play a game-guess the LDS

8K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  JerryBam 
#1 ·
So...
said shop has a no fill nitrox policy unless they clean the tanks(lets not debate the futility of this)

a phone call determines they will actually fill two stages tested by shops far far away

pop in and it takes 1 hr,3 members of staff to check stamp and fill tanks then fill in a log book?

2x 50% stages later all is well with the world

process repeated a month or so later all is still well with the world

today an attempt to get one of those same stages filled ....

oh sorry sir we must have made a mistake,we can't fill unless we tested ourself?

GRRRRRR,waste of a morning!!

#2 ·
Do I get three questions? Is it in er.. Scotland by any chance - a major city of Scotland?

#3 ·
Well, my take on it is that a shop has the right to set any policy they want with regards to filling cylinders.

However, if they want to stay in business it's a good idea to let your customers know what that policy is and stick to it. customers will accept amazing things as long as they are the SAME amazing things each time you go back.

#7 ·
exactly, inconsistent nonsense!

they even put one of there own stickers on my mates silent planet stage "so you wont have any problems the next time"

as you say I don't agree with the policy-so many points it falls down (never mind the fact i was quoted 4-6 weeks to get a tin cleaned a year or so ago)

if they hadn't filled my stage in the past i wouldn't have wasted my time today,fingers crossed i can get a fill before next sat elsewhere.

what did make me smile was another customer leaving saying good luck its nonsense!

#11 ·
Of course the easy way to force their hand is to get a ton of their O2 stickers copied so you just walk into the shop with one of their stickers already on. Even if they found out they still wouldn't know which were real and which were fake.

I am a bastard :D

#15 ·
The best solution is to just not use Aquatron. I take it it is them?

Did they give you the bullshit about how it's to protect staff?

A shop that cant be arsed getting a properly certified test facility, using possibly the worst way of doing nitrox filling imaginable in terms of risk, commenting on safety and the work standards of others. At least they have a sense of humour.

Well, only they dont.

The best way to change policy is to not buy gas (or anything else) from them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I bought a compressor and do my own He and O2 (and that
nice bloke TheHappyChappy lets me borrow his booster) specifically to avoid using Aquacon. It saves no money, in fact it costs me more, but not having to stand in the shop for hours getting a straightforward fill, being able to do nitrox with no hassle and not having to go east for trimix is priceless.

#31 ·
so.....
what are the logistics of keeping a J and compressor

both my buddy and i live in flats so im assuming a compressor churning away in the back court is out,
would BOC deliver to a flat?i assume not

how many stages would i get filled from one J before the pressure drops too low?(off to do the maths now)

how much including rental?

#38 ·
TBF I've never had a problem getting a cylinder that's been tested by Patersons filled by Aquacon.

I suspect the real reason behind their obtuse policy is because they don't want to pp blend nitrox into cylinders 'cleaned' by a certain other dive shop. However, sticking up a sign saying, "we wont fill cylinders cleaned by shop x" at best creates open warfare* where they mutually refuse to touch each other's cylinders and, at worst, leaves them open to litigation (Aquacon are no strangers to courts).

So to avoid singling out the one shop they don't like they simply apply a blanket policy.

* I remember the bad old days of Sub-c, GMT and Aquacon all refusing to fill cylinders tested at rival shops. A nightmare if someone volunteered to take a pile of their mate's cylinders for filling for a trip away.

#39 ·
TBF I've never had a problem getting a cylinder that's been tested by Patersons filled by Aquacon.

I suspect the real reason behind their obtuse policy is because they don't want to pp blend nitrox into cylinders 'cleaned' by a certain other dive shop. However, sticking up a sign saying, "we wont fill cylinders cleaned by shop x" at best creates open warfare* where they mutually refuse to touch each other's cylinders and, at worst, leaves them open to litigation (Aquacon are no strangers to courts).

So to avoid singling out the one shop they don't like they simply apply a blanket policy.
that's my understanding too,they actually have a sign up saying as much,
tbh I was surprised they filled the tank the first time even after my mate called and they confirmed they would fill it,
and even more surprised when they put an aquacon sticker on his.

I wonder if they expect other shops to fill their o2 cleaned cylinders!

#40 · (Edited)
Same here with the testing. I've had a pony, a 12l and my twins all tested by Pattersons and filled by Aquatron. The 12L was filled yesterday.

I've always found them friendly and helpful.

However I just use air,so I don't know if that makes a difference to the debate.

When I restarted diving after a 20 year break, I went to another LDS, not a million miles away, to get some advice and buy some kit. When I asked what sort of things I'd need (fully intending to buy them there), I was told, 'no, I'm not telling you.' I asked why, and was told, 'its because you'll take my advice and then buy them on line.'

So I did.

#41 ·
When I restarted diving after a 20 year break, I went to another LDS, not a million miles away, to get some advice and buy some kit. When I asked what sort of things I'd need (fully intending to buy them there), I was told, 'no, I'm not telling you.' I asked why, and was told, 'its because you'll take my advice and then buy them on line.'

So I did.
Oooo ooo, are they further down the river based at a marina?

#42 ·
It was my dream to do scuba diving for a very long time but my family could not afford it. Now I've found how to make easy money online and looking for a good LDS. So, I want someone to consult me or recommend the best LDS and I can recommend you to follow this site and find the best way to be paid for playing games and make your dreams come true!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.