Location of wreck of Kocatepe, Turkish Destroyer off Cyprus - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Location of wreck of Kocatepe, Turkish Destroyer off Cyprus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    A wreck of that size surely would be shown on nautical maps around Limassol? The seabed isn't massively deep, and in any orientation it is going to be quite a large obstruction on the seabed. There is quite a bit of fishing in the area - I'd suggest a chat with the local fishermen or perhaps if you have a military connection they will have map with info on this.

Digs.
    Over the months we rounded that point more than once. I don't think any of you are even close. Now remember we snipes don't see a whole lot. I've had to put this all together over the years, and it isn't much. Thanks to those 2 Brit Destroyers for showing up. God Bless Their logs have pinpoint info, for one thing. An F4 and 3 other destroyers, not counting the Brits Know the location. This GraveSite (the Ship)is Heavily Protected by law. The location protected naturally. This is a very deep sadness for all sailors...,They may not know it yet. I think I am the only one.
    Last edited by Kocatepe Sailor; 11-01-17 at 03:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Deeper water... that was what i heard 20, to 25 years ago. When the USS Harwood made several visits to a port on Cyprus 46 years ago 1970, a year and a half before the ship was recommissioned; Turkish Flag I was impressed with the seeming unfathomable Depth of the water. If that isn't the area where the windows blew out, what are the other possibilities? Fact Check, in 1974 I was of the impression it was a Turkish F4, ( they got Hardware in those days from us)...that delivered the bomb. There were DEEP structural factors aboard Kocatepe that ANY Dive club or search team should know in terms of how She likely came apart. Two huge factors, as big as the Bomb itself, maybe.

Thanks
    Thanks for the topic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12