No fly time?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: No fly time?

Not many Mackerel but all a good size davebarber's Avatar
    Thanks

No fly time?

On a recent dive trip I dived the previous day to 12:30 then caught the 08:00 flight. So an inteval of 19.5 hrs. This is after several days repeat diving.

Bsac 88 requires tissue code B ie 4hrs or unpressurised tissue code A ie 16 hrs.
    Padi and DAN are I guess 24hrs.
    Mr Suunto he says NO.
    No dive operator to bully me.

It was a fabulous mornings diving with hammerheads and a big fat shark circling underneath me as I hung on a DSMB at 5m. Would have been a shame to miss it.

What do other people do in practice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Are you showing any signs of DCI?
    If you are ring the pot and don't do it again
    If not don't worry about it.
    In future plan 12/24 hour gap, the times are there for a reason!

I leave it 24 hrs+
    Last edited by gpj; 06-10-12 at 09:58 AM.

Not many Mackerel but all a good size davebarber's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think you missed my point. I never mentioned any DCI. Why always this bogyman?

The rules vary according to regime.

I wasn't asking you to tell me what to do, I asked what do you do?
    Last edited by davebarber; 06-10-12 at 10:05 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

No fly time?

more than 12 hours, but often less than 24 hours

Thanks
    Thought I'd get it out the way
    Like I put on the edit 24hrs + (last evening is plane crash party night so no fit state for getting wet!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 773 Posts
    Depends on what is there (to see/do) and what there is to decompress with. If in doubt, I wouldn't.

Recent report on DISMS, 32 hours after 4 days/2 dives per day, DCI on flight on the way home.

Regards
    Gareth
    Images of Life Photography - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
    Team Foxturd - The Home of the Chimps
    Diving Incident and Safety Resource Centre

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected that it is to be liked.”

Conscientious Objector
    Thanks

Re: No fly time?

Quote Originally Posted by GLOC View Post
    Depends on what is there (to see/do) and what there is to decompress with. If in doubt, I wouldn't.

Recent report on DISMS, 32 hours after 4 days/2 dives per day, DCI on flight on the way home.

Regards
    FWIW, my money's on dehydration for that one, GLOC.

If we're talking a nice 6m bimble, or a no-stop / minor deco dive where I can use a nitrox bottom gas plus maybe a deco stage of something rich to massively overstay at 6m, then maybe.

There's been some interesting discussions recently about doing an hour or two at surface on O2 if planning to hop on a plane in an otherwise inadvisably short time. As I understand it, the jury's still out.
    I withdraw the right for my photographs, and/or words to be used, due to lack of consultation with regard to changes in the terms of the contract previously enjoyed by both parties. I have been denied the right to remove the above myself and request this be done on my behalf.... with no fucking about or excuses....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    FWIW, my money's on dehydration for that one, GLOC.

If we're talking a nice 6m bimble, or a no-stop / minor deco dive where I can use a nitrox bottom gas plus maybe a deco stage of something rich to massively overstay at 6m, then maybe.

There's been some interesting discussions recently about doing an hour or two at surface on O2 if planning to hop on a plane in an otherwise inadvisably short time. As I understand it, the jury's still out.
    on my old copy of proplanner , you could add in what gas you would be breathing between dives ,
    you could on the planner see the time to fly drop if you put in o2 as surface gas.

it was discussions recently i think ,,

edit .. maybe to much info is not always a good thing
    Last edited by gobfish1; 06-10-12 at 12:15 PM.
    Dr F Gobber
    Success is not measured by what you have, but by what you can do without.
    http://www.scubatunes.com/audio/vol01/mp3/HiTech.mp3[/COLOR]
    His embarrassment was obvious when he surfaced, the face was as red as the beard!

Thanks
    I do what the airline say in their T&Cs or follow the rules of my certifying agency. Pisser to find Virgin presenting me for a bill after diverting the plane when I get bent, only to find that my insurance won't pay because i'd ignored the rules.

In practice I leave 24 hours if I have been doing a recreational bimbles, and 48 if I have been doing any deco or mixed gas diving. I also ensure I have a dive free day after every 3 days diving.

Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam NotDeadYet's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,826 Posts
    I usually leave at least 24hrs. I know plenty of people take great pride in how little time they leave (I can think of quite a few "been on the plane with wet hair" type posts from people that really should know better) but what's the point. Nobody looks like a well'ard dive guru pissing in a cardboard bottle whilst lying in an over-rated bit of drain pipe as some third world doctor rubs his hands because he's got another £50k invoice to submit to DAN. I've been in a decent pot and it's a crap way to pass 6 hours, I don't particularly want to do it in some manky elbow of the planet where they have to look up the manual to figure out how it works.
    "i think this post displays/encourages a stupid if not dangerous example/attitude. This applies to ALL your posts so far"

"Faith is the surrender of the mind" - Christopher Hitchens

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotDeadYet For This Useful Post:

11431 (07-10-12), 11800 (06-10-12), Chris Lewis (06-10-12)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast