One place available on a YD fundies course - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One place available on a YD fundies course

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 732 Posts
    Well, I'm not going to try and convince him otherwise tbh. If he wants six SPGs then he can knock himself out.

Just bring only 1 for the course....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist............... .
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Well, I'm not going to try and convince him otherwise tbh. If he wants six SPGs then he can knock himself out.

Perhaps Sir should bring a pocket full of HP blanking plugs and even one or more of HP's other 'plugs' just in case.............................
    All comments above are probably in part or full a sweeping generalisation, your agreement or statement of emotional condition is not required.....

not sure to be honest... somewhere between Kiel, Germany and Melbourne Australia....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post

Just out of curiosity, honest curisoty, what are the extremes, i mean the maximum extremes of equipment someone can turn up to a Fundies course, and still do the course??
    sick of the b'llshit and internet warriors......

5. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"?? Graham Smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 566 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_richardson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, honest curisoty, what are the extremes, i mean the maximum extremes of equipment someone can turn up to a Fundies course, and still do the course??
    As per the holy book -
    Equipment Requirements

Each student should have, and be familiar with, all of the following required equipment.

Tanks/Cylinders: Students may use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first-stages. Students may also use a single tank/cylinder with a K, H, or Y-valve.
    Regulators: One of the second-stages must be on a 5- to 7-foot/1.5- to 2-meter hose. One of the first-stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a dry suit (where applicable).
    Backplate System: A rigid and flat platform, of metal construction with minimal padding, held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing. This webbing should be adjustable through the plate and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist. A crotch strap attached to the lower end of this platform and looped through the waistband would prevent the system from riding up a diver's back. A knife should be secured to the waist on the left webbing tab. This webbing should support five D-rings; the first should be placed at the left hip, the second should be placed in line with a diver's right collarbone, the third should be placed in line with the diver's left collarbone, the fourth and fifth should be affixed to the crotch strap to use while scootering or towing/stowing gear. The harness below the diver's arms should have small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of reserve light powered by three in-line c-cell batteries (where necessary). The system should retain a minimalist approach with no unnecessary components.
    Buoyancy Compensation Device: A diver's buoyancy compensation device should be back-mounted and minimalist in nature. It should come free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material. There should be no restrictive bands or "bungee" of any sort affixed to the buoyancy cell. In addition, diver lift should not exceed 50lbs for a single tank and 80lbs for double tanks. Wing size and shape should be appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
    At least one time/depth-measuring device
    Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split
    At least one cutting device
    Wet Notes
    One spool with 100 feet/30 meters of line per diver
    At least one surface-marker buoy per diver
    Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure
    Double cylinders with isolation manifold, and appropriately sized double-tank buoyancy compensation device.*
    One primary light: A primary light should be minimalist in design; its power source should consist of a rechargeable battery pack residing in a canister powering an external light head via a light cord. Primary lights should produce the equivalent output of 50-watt halogen/10-watt HID lighting or greater.*
    Two reserve lights: Reserve lights should be powered by two or three in-line non-rechargeable C-cell batteries, with a minimum of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear. The light should be activated and de-activated by twisting the front bezel.*

*Required equipment 12 through 14 applies only to students seeking admittance into Tech or Cave training.

Note: Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements. Whether or not a piece of equipment fulfills GUE’s equipment requirement remains at the discretion of GUE and its instructor representatives. Participants are responsible for providing all equipment or for making provisions to secure the use of necessary equipment before the start of the course. In general, it is better for the student to learn while using his or her own equipment. However, students should exercise caution before purchasing new equipment to avoid acquiring substandard equipment. Please contact a GUE representative prior to making any purchases. Information about recommended equipment can be obtained from the equipment considerations section of GUE's Web site.
    Not Completely Mad Yet - Still got some bits missing......
    Eastbourne BS-AC (Sovereign Divers) 40 Years in the Making 1972 - 2012 - "We Must be Doing Something Right"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_richardson View Post
    If it meets the standards Graham has posted above, and it is well maintained I don't care what shape, brand, colour, model, price or age it is. However, it's worth mentioning that people who deliberately try to "push" the limits of the standards usually struggle. I do get people that want to rage against the system or prove a point. They always do prove a point, but it's my point and it's the OTHER students on the course that get it as they get to watch those people struggle.

The people that turn up with well maintained kit that clearly meets the standard simply remove that stress element and genuinely enjoy the course more and get more out of it. Why some people feel the need to turn up and prove me that they are the exception to the rule baffles me, but if they want to pay me to watch them struggle that's up to them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Garf For This Useful Post:

Orange Peel (24-10-12)

Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist............... .
    Thanks
    So I can't see why a buddy pocket real would not work then, I really can't...........
    All comments above are probably in part or full a sweeping generalisation, your agreement or statement of emotional condition is not required.....

Thanks
    I had a few questions about kit before I did fundies but after listening to the explanations and doing the class room stuff, you get quite a few "ahhhh, thats why" moments.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dive dog For This Useful Post:

GLOC (24-10-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Is it also worth mentioning that nylon webbing is shite and you should be using polypropylene?

Tsk. Gooers. No idea.
    Currently attired in Seaskin's finest

www.kitfondle.co.uk
    Kit That Makes Brave Men Weep

www.nusac.info
    A rather brilliant place to dive

Waiting to see what happens tufty's Avatar
    Thanks

One place available on a YD fundies course

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Is it also worth mentioning that nylon webbing is shite and you should be using polypropylene?

Tsk. Gooers. No idea.
    Youm dont want to be using tharrt Darn heeer in darrrrzetshire we's use bailer twine it's girt
    Running silent now (unless I'm teaching )
    www.off-gassing.com
    I'll advertise what I want thanks
    Weymouth & Portland Sub Aqua Club (BSAC 0853)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12