Recipes
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes

Thanks

Recipes

Ok, I'm bored in work so thought I'd post a recipe for anyone who is interested:

Cheat's Chateaubriand

The reason this is a cheats recipe is because I use fillet steaks, instead of whole beef fillets (too expensive).

The Sauce

• Ingredients: A handful of closed cap mushrooms, one sprig of tarragon, two banana shallots, a splash of brandy, 1/2 a glass of good dry white wine, 400ml of chicken stock, two good knobs of butter.
    • Method: Firstly add one of the butter knobs to a pan on a medium heat, then finely mince the shallots, fry gently until soft and starting to colour. Increase the heat and throw in the splash of brandy, flambe if you want, stir until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Add the wine and mushrooms, and again, stir until the liquid is almost gone. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, keep on the heat until the sauce has reduced by two thirds. Add the finely chopped tarragon leaves and whisk in the remaining butter to gloss the sauce. Add pepper and keep warm.

The Steaks

• Ingredients: Two thick beef fillet steaks, butter and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
    • Method: Firstly add the olive oil and butter to the pan, the olive oil stops the butter from burning. Once the pan is hot add the fillet steaks, put them in the pan and do not touch them for at least two minutes. Turns the steaks over and sear the other side for two minutes. Once both sides are seared season with salt and pepper to taste (note, the sauce will be quite salty, so this is down to personal taste). Add the pan to a preheated oven 170*c for about four minutes for rare steaks, 6 for medium rare etc. After which transfer to hot plates and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately.

Anyone got any recipes they'd like to add?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Slow Roast Lamb

Very simple and very tasty.

Ingredients: 800g boned and rolled shoulder of lamb, one bottle of good white wine, a bulb of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Method: Firstly heat the olive oil in a cast iron casserole or a frying pan. Sear the meat on all sides for a good few minutes. If using a frying pan add the meat to a large lidded cooking pot. Add at least six unpeeled garlic cloves and pour over three quarters of the bottle of wine. Add to a preheated oven at 140*c. Check after four hours add more of the wine if required, and cook until the meat if beginning to fall apart.
    Serve: I personally open the shoulder up and shred the meat with a pair of forks, then pack it into chefs rings on preheated plates. Serve with fennel puree, roasted potatoes, pan fried savoy cabbage. You can use the cooking juices left in the casserole to create a rich gravy by adding a spoonful of flour and cooking through, then a splash of port and 300ml of beef stock and reducing to a thick sauce.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 483 Posts
    I've just had luncha and now I'm hungry again

Can one flounce in a drysuit??
    Thanks
    Simple Mexican veggie dish

Two saucepans. In one, heat 2 tins of chopped tomatoes along with about 200g of cubed (to melt faster) Gruyere or similar. Season with salt and pepper. It will look like vomit, but stay with it.

In second pan, heat 2 tins of kidney beans, with the juice of at least one of the tins. Season with salt and pepper, throw in some chopped jalapenos (from a jar is fine) and mash roughly.

Ladle bean mixture onto tortilla wraps (e.g. pack of 8), roll them up and stick them in a casserole dish. Pour the tomato mixture over the top, poke about with a spoon to fill all the crevices (!) and bake in a medium oven for half an hour/40 mins.

Serve with soured cream and chopped coriander. This is one of those dishes where the sum is so much more than the parts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen - Winged Blob For This Useful Post:

Yahweh (24-10-12)

Thanks
    OOoh veggie enchiladas sounds nice!! If it was me I'd suggest using Monterey Jack as opposed to Gruyere, but it's personal choice. Thanks for that! I always make mine with chicken, chilies and onions. Will try the beans instead!

Thanks
    God you lot are making me bloody hungry

Trouble re-Member-ing
    Thanks
    For those bacon lovers who want to eat a bit more healthily:

Get 1kg of sliced belly of pork or pork loin and rub 15g of salt into the meaty bits, the fat will not absorb the salt. Then rub in a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. As an option, I also add about a teaspoon of ground coriander and a crushed juniper berry.
    Cover it well and leave it overnight.
    Enjoy your breakfast the next day.
    Be aware that this gives the flavour and texture of bacon with about a third of the salt content and no nitrates/nitrites, but will not be cured and so will not keep more than a day or so. Treat it as a fresh product.
    You can give it a rinse before cooking to remove a bit more of the salt.

Especially good for us oldies with high blood pressure.
    Paul.

Human beings were invented by water as a device for transporting itself from one place to another.

If God had intended us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steelemonkey For This Useful Post:

Yahweh (26-10-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    For those bacon lovers who want to eat a bit more healthily:

Get 1kg of sliced belly of pork or pork loin and rub 15g of salt into the meaty bits, the fat will not absorb the salt. Then rub in a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. As an option, I also add about a teaspoon of ground coriander and a crushed juniper berry.
    Cover it well and leave it overnight.
    Enjoy your breakfast the next day.
    Be aware that this gives the flavour and texture of bacon with about a third of the salt content and no nitrates/nitrites, but will not be cured and so will not keep more than a day or so. Treat it as a fresh product.
    You can give it a rinse before cooking to remove a bit more of the salt.

Especially good for us oldies with high blood pressure.
    Going to give it a try, though I'm not sure eating a Kilo of meat in one day is going to help my blood pressure..
    Pronounced 'Hawaay!'

Trouble re-Member-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
    Going to give it a try, though I'm not sure eating a Kilo of meat in one day is going to help my blood pressure..

Just remenber that alcohol is less dense than blood...................
    Paul.

Human beings were invented by water as a device for transporting itself from one place to another.

If God had intended us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Just remenber that alcohol is less dense than blood...................
    Are you impugning my reputation?... (remember has 2 Ms in it)
    Pronounced 'Hawaay!'

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast