YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Cutting tables

9K views 56 replies 17 participants last post by  Mr.GrumpyGills 
#1 ·
I would like to cut some tables that I could laminate so as to save me having to write slates for every dive.

I would be interested to see how others have done this.

I usually write slates for main plan, +5m, +5mins, +5+5 and lost gas. Is it possible to do all of these in 1 table or does this just confuse everything?

Cheers

Paul

#5 ·
vr3 = 200 quid ,,

i never bother with the + 5mins bollox,s ..

just knock out a set,s of tables with for 55 60 65 70m and so on ,, if your late back to the first stop , just jump to the next deepist table ,, and your in the ball park ,,

or even better, learn to be on feeking time ,, being late is something your bird/wife do,s to wind you up,:teeth:

#13 ·
This week I am broke after buying a stage, a new reg for said stage, nitrox analyser and dry gloves.

I think Gobber is gonna get me a nice birthday present though as per post 6 :)

#14 · (Edited)
I got fed up with slates too.

One day I forgot my slate. All I had was a zip lock bag, some standard paper and a bic biro so that's what I used. I didn't need to use the table as vr3 worked fine and so I forgot about the tables. About 3 weeks later I found the tables whilst getting ready for another dive....they were perfectly legible.

At tat point I gave up on slates, bought one of these Bowstone Slate Slip by Bowstone Diving and now just write my tables on a piece of scrap paper sing a biro. Simples.

The only thing you need to make sure you do is take out the paper at the end of dive. If you leave it for any length of time there is a risk of the ink bleeding into the plastic.

Yes the paper does get wet and soggy but its fine and it's easy to remove after the dive.

It doesn't address your desire to not cut the tables in the first place but it does mean you're not faffing around trying to rub out pencil on slate or strip off masking tape.

#18 ·
Cheap laminator from tesco. But for your DM responsibilities suggest you look at BSAC tables like the dive roster as it has has columns for data missing off the PADI versions. The A5 lamination sleeves are good for site orientation risk assessment briefings as a crib sheet. I have a few bearing crib cards in my bc pocket for when we complete skills early and can go explore - always more impressive when we exit on the correct side of th lake.

#19 ·
My computers are a Suunto Vytec DS and a Suunto Vyper Air. Both are capable of nitrox gas switches.
I deco on 50% and 80%

I plan on doing OC normoxic in Spring 2013 so wanna fine tune my skills between now and then. I was talking with the instructor I want to teach me and one of the key skills is running slates accurately so compters will be in gauge mode

#22 · (Edited)
iv allways just worked out the CNS /OTU. on the fly in my head ,, its much better if you can do this as you also will be able to then know what your end cns /otu will be , and not just the cns/out at that time in your dive ,,

3 gas,s is only 3 numbers to remember , work out cns then times that by 2 and your in the ball park for otu,s not that id be arsed with them , your lungs will let you know when its time ,,

on a bottom ppo2 off 1,3 and say the 50 and 80% its all most just one number to work out the CNS, your 6m stop is the same ppo2 as bottom if on 1.3 and the 50% is worth feek all once you move from 21m were your getting 2ish cns per min on the ppo2 of 1,6 ish

80% give,s you 1 cns permin at 9 and at 6 ist the same as your bottom gas ppo2 ,,

so if you cant remember .6, 1, and 2 ,, what can i say ,, its not hard ,,

#21 ·
An example of one of my slates is here:

OCBail 70m by Mike Tickle, on Flickr

I have a whole set of them in 5m increments for depth with times based on getting to the bottom of the shot and wanting out, the longest run time I can do a self bail out if I spend a few minutes getting back to the sot (4 in this case) and occasionally other times besides. If gives me an idea of the bail out possibilities. I run two computers so I get flexibility on the fly if needed but have a back up in my bowstone pouch if it all goes tits up.
I think my approach works OK up to about 65m with standard bail out gases. Deeper than that there are more variables to play with - optimising back gas, additional gas on the shot line, team bail out, etc which make it worth cutting something custom.

#23 ·
I make mine one sheet (A5) per depth - with a range of times the biggest total time around 200 mins.

If I'm making a bail-out/back-up pair then I laminate them with the back-up one-side and the bail-out the other.

With a table for 65m with times from 30-60 mins in steps of 6 mins I can easily do +/-6 mins. If I want to do 5m more I pick-out the 70m table.

If you're using a laminator then make sure you use a laser printer or photocopier as inkjet washes off when the laminate leaks.

Matt.

#25 ·
Okay lads

This is what I have done up

It seems a little more complicated way of doing it in the short term as it requires a table for each depth and time, in this case 45m for 40 mins on air, 50% and 80%

#32 · (Edited)
20/80 GF comes up with this:

40:00 45.0m Deco:

24 m : 1 ' 43 '
21 m : 2 ' 45 ' (SWITCH Gas#1 -> Gas#2)
18 m : 2 ' 48 '
15 m : 4 ' 52 '
12 m : 5 ' 57 '
9 m : 6 ' 64 ' (SWITCH Gas#2 -> Gas#3)
6 m : 26 ' 90 '
0 m : --- ' 91 '
TTS = 52 '
CNS = 49%

With volumes of this:

Depth = 45 m
Bottom time = 40 min
Bottom gas consumption (CF56) = 20 l/min
Ascent gas consumption (CF57) = 20 l/min
Gas#1 ( 21/00) = 4719
Gas#2 ( 50/00) = 720
Gas#3 ( 80/00) = 1091

I'd probably look at modifying that dive profile. To save the cost of laminate, which will mount up for the variables, I'd look at standardizing max run times as well as gases for trips if producing fixed tables.

#42 ·
Significant enough difference between VPM-B/E +2 and GF 20/80 for what is in effect a "relatively" short and shallow dive.

#37 ·
I drew them up using V planner as a backup as you say but also to practice running slates for a course I will be doing in the new year

Reactions: gobfish1
#44 ·
Just bear in mind VPM b/e is e for extreme and really pads out shallower stops. Unless doing major dives to 75m plus I'd stick with VPM-b 3-5 conservatism depending on fitness and environmental conditions or VPM-gf. Otherwise you are adding conservatism to conservatism by using vpm B/E. you can always pad 9m, 6m and 3m (or 4.5m for me) stops as much as gas allows on top of plan.

#45 ·
Thanks guys,

Okay the last one was an example but an unrealistic example.

This one I think is slightly more realistic

#46 ·
why not just toss of the 50% bung some nitrox in the twin , and deco out on the 80%
half your load ,, lol you would be better of with a 3 bottom gas , get the more time and make use of the other half of that 80%

#49 · (Edited)
ment to add if your plan to lose one of the 2 deco cylinders ,, you always need the back gas to get back to your last stop ,, no matter how you look at it , your twin set is calling the dive no matter what deco gas your humping ,, thats why i say fook the 50% off ,

less than 50m is a two pony dive ..:teeth: 400l out of each o2 in one / and what ever you like in the other long as its more than 50% lol

i used to like 64% my self to go with my pony of o2 ,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.