YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Padi standards - surface (boat) cover - teaching OW non UK

7K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  TerryH 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me the PADI standard for surface cover from a boat for teaching OW, but not in the UK, so not HSE. I don't have access to my manual and the wifi here is so slow.

Thanks

#11 ·
In fairness, you are supposed to have a dive manager but I believe that this could be the instructor. I am sure someone will be along to correct me...

Regards

#19 ·
I worked for three years in the BVI where no additional surface (boat or shore) or in water safety diver is required (other than if PADI ratio's were exceeded) So I ran a the boat and the diving single handed including night dives, and this is common practice among the dive operators there, even the two biggest. Not one single incident in a 1000 dives (OK I forgot my pack up lunch one day)
Now I have to have surface cover with one student even if I have a video diver. This is at a location where there might already be a dozen or more surface support teams in place.
Is surface cover a good idea, of course if it's available, but it does not (IMHO) change or alter any risk factors or improve safety. I really think the HSE ACOP for surface cover should only apply on groups greater than 4:1. Below that it should be voluntary.

#20 ·
It was in the same part of the world and the conditions were very benign, my only thought was how would a student get an instructor back on board if there was a problem and how would he drive the boat back? I know the chance of that happening are slim to none.

#30 ·
Lol, I produce a mandatory detailed RA each year that's about 2 inches thick and has to be both in paper
and CD form. From that we produce a "trip pack" which again is mandatory for EVERY dive, with full NOK
details along with dive log sheets and full prepared incident forms. If teaching, included is the relevant
open water slates and laminated A4 folder of the Instructor Manual.

You really shouldn't equate other clubs to your own poor standards Richard, not all clubs are like yours :wink:
Any chance of a sneaky peek of that? Always interested to see how others do it!

#32 ·
Thanks for asking the time to respond to my question.

Must admit, clubs I have been in previously have had aspects of your approach but certainly not all. Present club certainly the best but still some areas to improve on I think.

Out of interest, I assume given the comprehensive approach you have taken elsewhere, you have altered the RA's off the BSAC website? Don't think they are the best personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.