Best Tablet for Dive Travel.. - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Best Tablet for Dive Travel..

Dive tart, just can't say no :-) PeeBee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I think that anyone with these sort of dillemas should consider carefully their needs and limitations. These vary enormously for me. But broadly I envisage 3 scenarios with diffent priorities.
    1. The car travelling person with no weight restrictions and a need to present and manipulate images "on the road". A laptop with a backup (off person or on depends on quality/freqency of internet connection) is the mode of choice for this person.
    2. The individual travelling by air and travelling relatively light, a tablet with memory stick or other backup is the level here, this enables the use of other data sources (your own camera etc) and possibly on site image manipulation though this is currently easier with a laptop. I have reservations as to the robustness of the bottom end tablets (we wrecked one after about 10 days walking and the owner is as careful as one can be in these cicumstances)
    3. The individual walking 15-20 miles a day with their possessions, this person will opt for the lowest possible weight. This will be a mobile phone, on site image maniplation is impractical as large screen resolution is required and image up loads for backup are difficult as many areas do not have the broad band cover needed.
    Thus you fall back on a large memory card and later processing with either a dedicated camera or the phone providing the image. I appreciate there are not any serious rated housings for cameras in mobile phones but the quality on land within the limits of such a device is certainly adequate for the needs of most people.
    TimDigger's Library | Photobucket
    82 images all taken with a HTC 2HD Windows 6.5, all jpegs most but not all cropped and adjusted slightly in Lightroom 3.5 later at home when down loaded to my desktop.

Horses for courses, I use a Toshiba Satlite R60-13T with Lightroom as my primary daily down load tool from my camera on dive trips and transfer the catalogue with any changes to my desktop when home backup then is with an small rubber encased Freecom USB linked hard drive set up for duplicate copy via Lightroom on download. But I would not carry it on long walks!
    Tim Digger
    Close, but my needs are slightly different. I want something that I can use to edit jpegs at dive sites without hauling an expensive laptop around. I can set up my cameras to shoot both RAW and JPEG so would keep the RAW files to edit seriously back at base but I don't want to be at remote dive sites leaving expensive gear unattended in the car while I'm underwater. Obviously I don't want to lose a £200 tablet but I'd rather risk that than the lappy.
    offering guided toggery in Gozo
    http://www.mobydivesgozo.com/photogr...dly_diving.asp
    www.oceanfoto.co.uk
    Spending more time on the other forum, come and find us there

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Yes indeed you have a different problem. How about a Tablet of Stone, or at least a chain and a big rock. Though something like this might be better. Kensington SecureBack Security Case with 2-Way Stand & ClickSafe Lock Protective case for web tablet - Black
    Cheers Tim Digger
    Evolution is very good at fixing problems. It's just the methods that concern me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Digger For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (07-12-12)

Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe ChristianG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes indeed you have a different problem. How about a Tablet of Stone, or at least a chain and a big rock. Though something like this might be better.
    Gawd, I remember the days of me 17" MacBook Pro, when I used to secure if to the table on my porch with one of those plastic encased wire thingies to avoid errant fingers. Talk about paranoid.

Then I got used to the thing (read: less paranoid), until stupid here managed to spill a small quantity of wine all over the keyboard. Fixed the thing up right proper, that did. Moral of the story: never, as in not ever, spill anything anywhere, particularly not on a laptop. From memory that cost me about $Au2K.
    Christian

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG
    There is no point at all in getting a killer picture if that picture kills you
    - CG

Senior Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 971 Posts
    What you need is a EUROCOM Panther 5D
    I think that the brain is the sexiest part of a woman's body, especially when it decides to make her naked.

Thanks
    Might be just a tad over spec for most people!
    Evolution is very good at fixing problems. It's just the methods that concern me.

Dive tart, just can't say no :-) PeeBee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    What you need is a EUROCOM Panther 5D
    If I win the lottery it would be awesome, reckon my perfect spec would come in at around £10k
    offering guided toggery in Gozo
    http://www.mobydivesgozo.com/photogr...dly_diving.asp
    www.oceanfoto.co.uk
    Spending more time on the other forum, come and find us there

Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe ChristianG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Moreover it doesn't say whether the keyboard is "waterproof".

Actually, glancing at the various configurations its fairly unforthcoming, especially as regards price, even RRP. I eventually got a 27" iMac (lots of real estate), with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It does what I want very well and if I'm that stupid again, why, I buy a new keyboard. That's lots cheaper than a whole new 'puter.
    Christian

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG
    There is no point at all in getting a killer picture if that picture kills you
    - CG

Thanks
    This is a large online store where you can order and pick up almost everything, from computers and household appliances to car accessories at a super price. We are a kind of intermediary between supermarkets and online stores. We also carry out frequent promotions on all types of goods, such as this one - Hotpoint-Ariston FI6 Oven for 69.98 €

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678