YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

My new webstore: SkincareIcon.com selling skincare products

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  AndrewRawlingson 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have recently set up my webstore selling skincare products [SkincareIcon.com]

I have a range of products, manufactured in the UK, from everyday moisturisers and exfoliants to wound healing and eye care
This is very much a new venture for me to earn a little extra cash with a view to making this a full time career in the long term …. if I can make a success of it

If you have a few minutes spare, I would really value a couple of things

1) Views/ comments on my webstore
2) Twitter follows & Facebook likes​
3) Direction on SEO, have you come across a really good/ simple to follow place which explains this​
4) Ideas on free advertising​

I understand this is a hugely competitive industry with big players who have mega bucks in marketing spend and thousands of resource days per year to establish themselves
There is still space for a small entrepreneur to make a reasonable living

Thanks very much

Venus

See less See more
#2 ·
Website looks well laid out. Clean and fresh - which is probably appropriate. :)

Looks the same on Chrome, Safari and Firefox on a Mac. Twitter and Facebook are both blocked in China. As is my VPN server from today, it seems.

Of course, I only looked at the home page. I am a bloke and that stuff scares me.

Very best of luck with the business.

#3 ·
Agree with Dave that the site looks well laid out and fresh. I'm using firefox and looks good. Couple of points:

Can be a touch slow when going from one page to another.

I don't know the names and I made me wonder if these are 'legal' products / or authorized by relevant authorities. I have a supplier who looks like Shrek with eczema, his wife - young beautiful model has made a skin cream but is taking months or yours to be legal - that is in France.

Good luck with the venture.

#6 ·
Thanks Chris

I've checked the page load times and it is very good
Altho, now and again even I find that it appears slower than other times
I'll test the load speeds at different times of the day with different browsers and different laptops to see if there is any pattern

Legal - I understand your question
Yes, these products have been sold into salons and pharmacies in the UK & Europe for years, the manufacturer carries all the legal requirements and indemnity
My venture is creating the online store and pushing for further sales

Can be a touch slow when going from one page to another.

I don't know the names and I made me wonder if these are 'legal' products / or authorized by relevant authorities. I have a supplier who looks like Shrek with eczema, his wife - young beautiful model has made a skin cream but is taking months or yours to be legal - that is in France.

#7 ·
Davie - you have mentioned one of the things that I battled with ..... which was 'should I have a men's section'?

I had decided to set up a separate men's only webstore, but it turned out to be too costly to have both

YES, I'm going to create a category for 'men only' and another for something like 'everyday basics' because I don't think this is really clear at all

Navigation for Dummies - I'll re-look at the way I have the categories structured maybe it does not make as much sense as I originally thought

I'd like to see some navigation for dummies.

I'm a bloke show me blokes products.

#12 ·
Where and how do you apply the ipod Nano that is shown on the "Skin Concerns" tab (Immediately below "Browse Categories - Skin Concerns", the icon for "Problem Skins"). ;)

G

#14 ·
Nice website - clean, simple, effective.

I also like the gift ideas pane - good thinking!

OTOH, A "Manly Moisturiser for Moiturising Men" section would probably appeal to me, as would the addition of some shaving products to your repertoire - perhaps some good quality double-edged razors and the appropriate shaving gunks (face wash, pre-shave cream/oil, shaving soap, badger brushes, non-alcohol aftershave etc...) might be a good line to branch out into, especially at xmas!

I probably have a vested interest here, as until a couple of weeks ago, I had a full beard but am now clean shaven and shave every day for work (non-negotiable in my line of employment...). I'm finding it difficult to adopt a regime that both keeps the stubble down well and doesn't leave me with razor burn and/or ingrowing hairs and/or either excessively dry or greasy skin.

I spent a lot of time last week (while workstopped waiting on an outside organisation) looking at websites like this one: Shaving and men's grooming products - The Traditional Shaving Company and Men's Grooming Guide - Tips and Articles which although they cater for a vastly different market, have some crossover.

The thing I particularly liked about the latter site, which you may wish to emulate, was the explanations of what each product / type of product is, when and how to use, and which things work well for which skin types....

#16 ·
Vain or not (and I don't care) I use Clinique for men stuff. From shave foam to moisturiser it's excelent but I can't help thinking overpriced....

G

#20 ·
I like it when I can convince Elaine or my youngest daughter to spend time squeezing some of my back zits for me,
Along with peeling sunburn off, squeezing spots is one of my favourite things. Unfortunately, I've never suffered from spots in my life, and neither has Turbs, so I don't get to indulge as much as I'd like to.

#27 ·
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your very useful feedback

I have made some changes to Skincare Icon to try and make it a little simpler such as:

1) adding a Male Grooming section - which contains only three products, with very simple wording
2) added a link to the rotating picture of the guy so it links to the Male Grooming site ... just for TheHC
3) added a Skincare Essentials section
4) added a Travel Essentials section
5) changed some of the product descriptions to give a headline for each product, I think this looks a little messy, but I wasn't sure how else I could do this

Thanks very much for your support

Venus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.