Instagram. Another blatant rights grab? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instagram. Another blatant rights grab?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Instagram needs to make money so whats the problem?
    Consider the following list in the context of using an image to advertise goods, products or services. Which one(s) have the potential to cause a shit-storm:-

An image of the light show on Eiffel Tower at night.
    An image showing the likeness of a celebrity
    An image showing a le corbusier chair
    An image showing a minor
    An image showing a ward of court
    An image showing one of those green fir tree air fresheners that hang in cars
    An image of a red London bus crossing Waterloo bridge
    An image of Mr or Mrs average
    An image comprising of another's image

The answer is all of them.

Who here knows the Eiffel Tower lightshow is protected under copyright? Tourist photo? Fine...use same image to sell Paris to the tourists...not fine.
    Eddie Ervine awarded £25k damages for use of his face in an advert
    The chair is a registered design and there is a case in France right now...
    Minors require parental consent forms signed
    Green fir tree air fresheners are a trademarked design - case recently settled with Getty about their inclusion in advertising images
    Plagiarism case settled on image likeness
    Postcard scanned and shared online, used commercially for free only to cost four figures when photographer finds out

I could go on...but the point is, who knows this stuff in their day-to-day dealings? And don't think Instagram's terms and conditions will help - from what I have seen so far the liability is dumped back to you. To me, who has to know this kind of stuff, its akin to a fly looking for a windshield to slam into. Am I bothered? Not with respect to my own work (until someone posts it without my permission...) but it still makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I cant see the commercial value of a site that takes a mediocre photo...
    This month I have grossed £5k from a single image. Shot on slide film, the image is technically poor and a bit soft focus - hardly my finest work - but the market has accepted the value I placed upon it and paid. So I can see the value of a mediocre image. And so can Instagram.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to decosnapper For This Useful Post:

5363 (19-12-12), Brian of Aquanauts (19-12-12), Cheeky Monkey (19-12-12), Dive dog (19-12-12), Lou (18-12-12), Simundo (19-12-12), Tunicates (18-12-12), Two Hats (18-12-12), witchieblackcat (19-12-12)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Gone to pastures new
    Thanks
    There's another take on it here No, Instagram can't sell your photos: what the new terms of service really mean | The Verge as to which is more accurate I don't know.
    --
    Off to pastures new

Thanks
    and here:

BBC News - Instagram denies having right to sell users' photos

So looks like blurred, desaturated, soft focus pictures of peoples pets are safe after all!

**-- DUE TO VERTICAL SCOPE BUYING OUT AND DESTROYING THIS FORUM I'VE MOVED ELSEWHERE --**
    Last edited by 1373; 28-12-12 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    and here:

BBC News - Instagram denies having right to sell users' photos

So looks like blurred, desaturated, soft focus pictures of peoples pets are safe after all!

Lobbox

The words were quite clear, and quite specific, I'd say it is more a poor choice of policy then of words.

Finless: You couldn't invent him... Finless's Avatar
    Thanks
    I heard it on the news today that Instagram will be amending the offending wording to make it clear that they will not be selling people's pictures without their consent.

Instagram nixes parts of new policy after user outrage - Technology & Science - CBC News
    Still hoping to become Comfortably Numb but feel more Dazed & Confused.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlefish View Post
    It seems Instagram have updated their privacy policy to allow them to sell your photos to advertisers without notification
    [/url]
    I doubt they'll get many sales from Jimmy Savilles account....
    Living and working in Sharm, feel free to pm me for unbiased info.

Sharm info site, Tec Diving in Sharm

Thanks
    I think all is clear with Instagram. But what about TikTok? Do you use it? Do you trust it? I myself really like this app. I even try to make my own content. To become more popular I'm thinking of using hypetik services. It will help me get more new likes.

Thanks
    Instagram is still one of the best social media platforms out there, whatever you say about it. And there is an easy way to get cheap instagram followers. They will deliver it to you with no time for an affordable and reasonable amount of money. You can follow their site to get more information. Peace=)

Thanks
    Instagram is still one of the best social media platforms out there, whatever you say about it. O I will defiantly agree with this words

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12