YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Instagram. Another blatant rights grab?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Stevie H 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
The investors in FB will want their money back + some. FB will want to see its share price improve. Should we be surprised?

Its all about money and why not get the masses to generate zero cost content to exploit and derive income from?*. Fora and social media the world over (including YD) do this but few of the 'workers' are aware of their unpaid digital content jobs, mainly because it feels like harmless fun.

*Its a business model tried and tested. But it makes my moral compass wobble big time.

#4 ·
As Zuckerberg said "If your not paying for the product, you are the product"...

Lets not be surprised, Facebook is desperately casting around for profit and will make it anyway they can, they will continue to change policy so all your personal details will be out for the highest bidder and every aspect of your life will be there for the marketing bods to rip apart and sell you shit you never knew you needed. This week is photographs from instagram who knows what next week will bring but whatever happens it won't stop you logging into Facebook.

personally I ignored all the ads as best i can and actually make an effort to avoid any products pimped to me through Facebook.

#5 ·
Never post anything on the Internet you might not want someone else to see.

#9 · (Edited)
Instagram needs to make money so whats the problem? They've informed users of the change and given a notice period so its nothing sly.

Quite what they're going to DO with 200,000,000 crappy over processed photos of someone with their pet dog with the saturation sucked out of it with a silly frame is another matter!

I cant see the commercial value of a site that takes a mediocre photo then through awful processing makes it look 100x worse!

**-- DUE TO VERTICAL SCOPE BUYING OUT AND DESTROYING THIS FORUM I'VE MOVED ELSEWHERE --**

#11 ·
Instagram needs to make money so whats the problem?
Consider the following list in the context of using an image to advertise goods, products or services. Which one(s) have the potential to cause a shit-storm:-

An image of the light show on Eiffel Tower at night.
An image showing the likeness of a celebrity
An image showing a le corbusier chair
An image showing a minor
An image showing a ward of court
An image showing one of those green fir tree air fresheners that hang in cars
An image of a red London bus crossing Waterloo bridge
An image of Mr or Mrs average
An image comprising of another's image

The answer is all of them.

Who here knows the Eiffel Tower lightshow is protected under copyright? Tourist photo? Fine...use same image to sell Paris to the tourists...not fine.
Eddie Ervine awarded £25k damages for use of his face in an advert
The chair is a registered design and there is a case in France right now...
Minors require parental consent forms signed
Green fir tree air fresheners are a trademarked design - case recently settled with Getty about their inclusion in advertising images
Plagiarism case settled on image likeness
Postcard scanned and shared online, used commercially for free only to cost four figures when photographer finds out

I could go on...but the point is, who knows this stuff in their day-to-day dealings? And don't think Instagram's terms and conditions will help - from what I have seen so far the liability is dumped back to you. To me, who has to know this kind of stuff, its akin to a fly looking for a windshield to slam into. Am I bothered? Not with respect to my own work (until someone posts it without my permission...) but it still makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I cant see the commercial value of a site that takes a mediocre photo...
This month I have grossed £5k from a single image. Shot on slide film, the image is technically poor and a bit soft focus - hardly my finest work - but the market has accepted the value I placed upon it and paid. So I can see the value of a mediocre image. And so can Instagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.