NAS/Wifi/Modem/Router solution
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS/Wifi/Modem/Router solution

Thanks

Bubbles
    Last edited by 4823; 04-01-13 at 02:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,701 Posts
    A Draytek Vigor would do all of the above if you stick a NAS onto it.
    Currently attired in Seaskin's finest

www.kitfondle.co.uk
    Kit That Makes Brave Men Weep

www.nusac.info
    A rather brilliant place to dive

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woz For This Useful Post:

4823 (30-12-12)

Thanks
    You'll have difficulty getting rid of the Sky router as they don't like devices other than what they've provided connecting to their network. I'd suggest using a third party Wifi extender such as this wee fella TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced Wireless N Access Point: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories plus a decent NAS, such as this one Synology DS212J 2 Bay NAS Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. You'll need to provide your own drives, according to your storage needs, probably 2TB each. I'd say Western Digital Red drives are your best bet, as they're optimised for NAS RAID.
    I have both these contraptions, use Sky at home, and they do the job nicely though, if you include the original Sky router, it's a 3 box solution.

EDIT You might want to have a re-think on your budget if you want to stream HD to 4 devices simultaneously. That takes some serious bandwidth, so you'd need a more expensive NAS as a minimum, plus your WIFI network is going to struggle. Is 4 devices receiving HD over wifi a realistic goal, or can you throttle back on that? If not, realistically you're going to be better off with a wired solution.

BTW the Synology works great with Sonos, lovely bit of kit.
    Last edited by Robski; 30-12-12 at 05:40 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robski For This Useful Post:

4823 (30-12-12)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    .o
    O.o
    O.oO.oO
    Last edited by 4823; 04-01-13 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0112358 View Post
    Getting rid of sky is no problem as I can hack the username and password from it and configure the new modem but thanks for the recommendations on drives
    Really? Good effort, I'd be fascinated to know how you managed that one. If it's a viable option, then Woz's recommendation on the Draytek Vigor will solve your wifi/router issues- the 2950 is a great bit of kit.

Thanks
    .oO.oO.oO
    Last edited by 4823; 04-01-13 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Cool, thanks! Just as an aside, certain routers (Draytek included) give you the option of setting your locale as Japan. In this mode, you get more channels available for your wifi, it goes up to 14. Do be aware that this is also not legal over here. Nevertheless, there is (ahem) anecdotal evidence from assorted miscreants that it clears up neighbour-based wifi congestion beautifully.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robski For This Useful Post:

4823 (30-12-12), big_si (30-12-12), Rob Dobson (30-12-12), Woz (30-12-12)

Thanks
    As opposed to wirless, I use HomePlug 500AV from Solwise to stream from a QNAP NAS to different rooms in the house.
    http://www.off-gassing.com - dive talking

I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyvindr View Post
    As opposed to wirless, I use HomePlug 500AV from Solwise to stream from a QNAP NAS to different rooms in the house.
    What he said. Homeplug rules. Top out at the 200Mb devices though, laws of diminishing returns apply after that.
    Last edited by Robski; 30-12-12 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0112358 View Post
    Looking for some advice in setting up the home network. I had what I thought was a solution in the Netgear WNDR4720 but it turns out it doesn't provide any modem facility.

The house has 4 PCs, 1 Tablet, 2 games machines and 2 tethered? Mobile devices.

I currently have Sky broadband (8Mb) with the "free" Sagem modem/router.

I want to get rid of the Sky modem because it's not powerful enough to reach the whole house and it keeps dropping the Internet connection.

I want to have the following set up.

One central storage device to hold all movies (200), music (800 CDs) and photos (2,000 hi res).
    Ability to share the printer across all devices without going through the PC that it's currently connected to
    Modem/router to allow all devices to connect to Internet
    Automatic backup of media drive (is that RAID 1?)
    Needs to be capable of streaming HD to multiple devices throughout the house which is a 4 bed semi.
    Needs to be capable of of coping with the demands of online gaming

It would be nice if there is some sort of cloud storage but this is not a must have.

I would also like a one box solution if possible although 2 boxes will suffice.

Other considerations

It will likely be on display as space is at a premium in the room i intend to locate it in so shouldn't look like a bag of shite.
    Reliability of drives
    Wifi speed and range (as per above spec bearing in mind it might have to serve 4 devices simultaneously)
    Eventually will also use a Sonos to access the music on the NAS

Budget £375max

Can someone suggest a setup that can achieve the above?
    As you mention streaming HD I assume that your 200 movies will be / include Blu-rays. Have a think what format you want to store these in. I've ripped my 400-ish DVDs and BRs as iso files so its just like playing the disc over the network (menus, extras etc) and a DVD takes about 7GB and a BR up to 50GB.

I also have 7 Sonos zones of various types (great bits of kit!) and have opted to stream all my CDs (I guess 400/500) as Lossless so they sound their best. This takes about 300-400MB of storage each CD.

My storage also holds all our digital photos and various other bits and pieces.

All this storage adds up. I'm currently using about 8 or 9TB of my 12TB of space so I have some future proofing of space. The last thing I would want is to loose all of this (mainly the photos, the music and movies I could rip again... Wouldn't be fun and would take me a couple of months, I guess, but I could) so also have a backup (which soon will be of all of my content)

You need to work out what formats you want to store things in, how much space that will take, how much future space you want, and what level of risk you're willing to accept regarding data loss. This will dictate what your storage solution will look like and how much it will cost. £375 could soon disappear though depending on your requirements :-/

As others have said I'm not sure about streaming HD to 4 devices over wireless. I'd recommend some kind of wired solution if that is your goal (home plugs would be least disruptive)

Not sure that's helped much as I haven't suggested any solutions, however, hopefully it's given you a bit more info on the types of questions you'll need to think about.

Si
    Veni Vidi Divi!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to big_si For This Useful Post:

4823 (30-12-12)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast