Why go deep for no good reason.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why go deep for no good reason.

Thanks

Why do I get looked at so strangely when I say I’m notinterested in logging deep dives for no good reason? I.e. Malta entre point inland sea. Instructor “I’m taking this guy down to38m to do his deep dive specialty do you what to come with us?” Me “what’s down there to see?” Instructor “nothing just a big flat rock that wesettle on to do the exercises” Me “Nothanks I would rather not go into deco to look at a rock thanks all the same” Instructor “ oh thought it might lookgood in you log book” Me “really” To this day I cannot understand the point ofgoing deep when there is nothing to see. And before I now get someone saying "38m is not thatdeep I’ve been deeper" ‘I’ll just say well done petal well done!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andjo216 For This Useful Post:

braun (28-02-13), Foggy (03-04-13), Octo_Ray (01-03-13)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

High on Cotol fumes ;-) Beaker75's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andjo216 View Post
    Why do I get looked at so strangely when I say I’m notinterested in logging deep dives for no good reason? I.e. Malta entre point inland sea. Instructor “I’m taking this guy down to38m to do his deep dive specialty do you what to come with us?” Me “what’s down there to see?” Instructor “nothing just a big flat rock that wesettle on to do the exercises” Me “Nothanks I would rather not go into deco to look at a rock thanks all the same” Instructor “ oh thought it might lookgood in you log book” Me “really” To this day I cannot understand the point ofgoing deep when there is nothing to see. And before I now get someone saying "38m is not thatdeep I’ve been deeper" ‘I’ll just say well done petal well done!
    -
    Last edited by Beaker75; 27-02-13 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    It may have not have been so much a case of 'because it looks good in your logbook' but more a case of a controlled dive to 38m with an intructor so good experience for you (not sure of your experience level sorry).

Like you I dont see the point of doing a deepish dive just for the sake of it but they are good to keep the skills sharp, nice, easy, warm clear water......

I've seen single tank divers do over 60m on that site .... each to their own.

Thanks
    Why complain about someone training in a suitable enviroment for the dive that does require them to go to depth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigofScotland For This Useful Post:

EngelenD (28-02-13)

Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe ChristianG's Avatar
    Thanks
    So, why not just not do it?

Why not try not foisting your personal ideas on the rest? In the scenario you described an Instructor, was going "deep" with a student doing their deep dive specialty. I see nothing wrong with that (other than the so-called "training" but that's an entirely different story). Seems to me the instructor was being polite in suggesting that you might care to tag along but, no, you've decided to blow up something (for which there might be a perfectly simple explanation) out of all proportion.
    Christian

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG
    There is no point at all in getting a killer picture if that picture kills you
    - CG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 727 Posts
    There might not be something to see this time, but next time when there is you will be ill-prepared.

Good divers do workup and experience dives to keep them in the zone and prepped for when there
    is something good to look at. Those that ignore this most basic readiness training are high on the
    incident stats. That's why every weekend you'll see divers looking at rocks in quarries. They are
    doing it so that they don't get added to the incident lists.

I would have just done the dive.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TerryH For This Useful Post:

burgerbozo (27-02-13), EngelenD (28-02-13), nankerphelge (27-02-13), Richard Mason (28-02-13)

Thanks

I agree with the above,it's good experience and you never know you may see something,the amount of dives I've been on and decided to go the other way and missed something,now I just go if someone suggest something.

I was going to say something on the lines of " I like going deep and the wife likes it even more" then I thought it being my 1st post I wouldn't be to crude

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Widler For This Useful Post:

EngelenD (28-02-13), Pokeystar (27-02-13)

High on Cotol fumes ;-) Beaker75's Avatar
    Thanks

Why were you being asked along on someone's training dive, perhaps the instructor felt you could benefit from diving with more experienced guys?
    Also as far I recall deep spec is a no deco dive so you wouldn't have any obligation, I'm assuming you've done that speciality so why don't you know that?
    Maybe you should have completed the dive as it appears you need a refresher!

Thanks
    60m is too deep for my blood, deepest I’ve been is 45m or there about but it was a very interesting dive to boot. My point is the reaction when I said no thanks, it was as if the numbers on my computer outweighed the fact there is not much down there and there are other more interesting areas accessible from that entry point. And yes you make a very good point diving with an instructor is good for you at any level we should never stop learning.

Thanks
    I have been diving for over ten years but I only dive when I’m away overseas and perhaps only get to do 10 maybe 15 dives a trip, two or 3 times a year. Doing a close to 40 m dive for no good reason seemed a little fruitless, had it been later in the trip (rust removed back in the swing) and had there been a real point to me being there I may have felt differently . I felt I made the right call. And I quote” it will look good in your log book”. There are many very good reasons for deep diving, but so you can put it in your log book is not one of them. Add to that the fact his reaction to my personal decision of Sorry no thanks I’ll go with the other group was as if I had just kicked his dog. And my friend other divers can dive as deep or as shalow as they like i don't care as long as they do it right.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast