YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

How do you dive and plan with multigascomputer

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Janos 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to buy a new computer for tech diving. Now i'm diving tech with bottomtimer and plans, it work's well on wreck diving but if i plan a reef dive on a wall for example it's don't work good.
Sometime i don't find the planned deep as soon as i want and that cost me bottom time, sometime i just want to go a little bit deeper for looking on something a little short time and then go up to the planned deep, in this case i have to go to a backup plan how is shorted my bottom time and give me more deco time. With a computer i think i can compensate the deeper part with go up a little bit shallower the end of the planned bottom time.
I understand that the most common is planning a dive from start with your computer, time, deep and gas planning.
I'm wondering how you as diving with multigas computers do your backup plan if the computer fail. Best choose i guess is to have 2 similar computers but if you don't have it, do you go with bottom timer and cut tables for backup?
If you go off your plan, have you planned gas consumption from bottom to the surface and use the value TTS with the dive time and the gas you have left?

Just curios how you dive with tech/multigas computer.

/AA

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem isn't the dive plan it is the gas plan. I really don't deco dive on OC any more.
Oh and I use two dissimilar computers. If the computer fail is a software fail they'll probably both go out together.

Reactions: MrAA
#3 ·
I use a Suunto Helo2 for this but I plan the dives using vPlanner so I know what I'm in for re:gas and have an idea how long I ought to be in the water decompressing. I also have another Suunto running as a bottom timer just in case.

The Suunto is a little more conservative than the plan so I tend to do extra stops at 6m which isn't really a problem. I'm thinking of getting a OSTC for the screen (which is lit up rather than dark so easy to see at depth) and a better match with the computer and plan.

#4 ·
Do you follow your v-planner plan for max time/deep (maybe little more deep and time than really planned) for that and go on computer if you go shallower or shorted time than the v-planner plan, and if you lost your Helo2 you take the v-planner plan and bottomtimer. I see it's being a good and safety dive :)

/AA

#12 ·
I plan for the deepest and longest I'm going to do - say 45mins @60m. The bottom time is the most I can do with the kit I currently own, given my gas consumption, personal comfort limits etc etc.

That will give me a planned amount of deco.

If my computer fails, then I will do that plan in all circumstances, whether it's 45mins @60m or 30mins @ 50m. Yes I'm doing a whole load of unnecessary deco in the latter case, but my computer tends not to fail that often.

Janos

PS - Why would you want to dive deep on a reefy wall? Surely the best stuff is shallow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.