YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Monty Halls and the Divers Graveyard

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flyingfisheye 
#1 ·
It's been a long time since I've posted here... but just watching Monty Halls and the Divers' Graveyard and it prompted me to ask a question.

He's discussing the death of Yuri Lipski, who videotaped his fatal dive there, and made the statement (paraphrased):

"You get heavier with depth and your buoyancy compensator isn't able to lift you.."

followed by

"he's trying to inflate his jacket, but it's having no effect"

That seems wrong to me,as surely your body is (relatively) uncompressable, being mostly water - heaviness has nothing to do with it. Sure, as you go deeper then air in your jacket gets compressed and you need to top it up otherwise you start sinking. But surely within reasonable limits your first stage regulator is going to be able to provide enough air to continue to do this? And even if you are sinking, surely it wouldn't be so fast that topping up your jacket wouldn't arrest your descent.

Or have I just mis-heard / mis-understood / forgotten some of my training!?

Cheers,

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought what you thought too. The only way I can part justify Monty's comment is that wetsuit neoprene will compress with depth

There was also a bit where the safety diver was on about holding breath whilst ascending.... or did I miss hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.