YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Padi advanced and junior open water depths

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sheesh 
#1 ·
Hi there I'm a advanced diver with a fair few dives under my belt

I qualified in the uk and did my advanced in Mexico which I found myself at 39 metres but qualified nether the less

my question is what today is the minimum depth for a advanced pass ? Surely it's 30 metres minimum as what would be the point in being qualified to that depth if you never went their on your first deep dive?

secondly really the same question on padi open water for juniors which I believe 12 meters is their maximum depth my all point is I know of a certain club passing members which are

A uncompetant/ frightened divers

B To depths no where near the recommended limits and passing them and signing them off at that

before I go ahead and report this company I'd like clarification on the above points
thanks

#2 ·
AOWD is certified to dive to 30m and as part of the Advanced Course a student SHOULD complete a Deep Dive to 30m in a controlled way and skills completed. The limit of recreational diving is considered to be 40 meters and this is the depth that a diver trained in deep diving is certified to descend to (the AOWD can count as one of the four dives for deep diving speciality to reach 40m but this should be reached gradually and after theory and a full understanding of limits and associated risks)

Unforunatly aometimes people ate signed off who shouldnt be. And sometimes people who are great get sogned off and lack of practice leads to poor diving skills.

Personally I dont understansd the obsession some have with deep diving and going there for the sake of it but the training is very important as im sure you understand.
Hope that helps a bit

#3 ·
To add, in a lot of UK AOW courses only go to 26m as we add the 4m on for the cold etc. depth limits for kids;
10&11 yrs to 12m, 12,13,14 yrs 18m at OW & 21m for continuing education, so the 14yr old can only do 21m and would qualify as AOW. Can't do the deep crs until you are 15.

Karl

#4 ·
From memory:-

PADI only recommends Adventure Deep Dive to be in the range 24m -> 30m with a max of 21m for juniors and max otherwise of 30m.
A deep dive is defined by PADI for this purpose of a dive between 18m and 30m.

An AOWD can be certified only having done a 19m dive. Any cert only allows divers to dive in condition similar to or better than those in which they certified, so really they are limited to 19m unless diving with a PADI proffessional.

Divers should be screened by the instructor to ensure their skills meet the prerequisits before starting any program and should only be certified oncce they have proven 'mastery' of the performance requirements.

#6 ·
Realistically just because someone has gone down to 30m once with an instructor doesn't mean they should be doing 'deep diving' depth should in my opinion be a progressive thing as your skills and experience increase. If you plan to dive for example to 30m and end up at 39m my point is proven

as megangel stated
Divers should be screened by the instructor to ensure their skills meet the prerequisites before starting any program and should only be certified once they have proven 'mastery' of the performance requirements.

#7 ·
To qualify as an OWD you don't have to dive to 18m, to qualify as an AOW you don't have to go to 30, to qualify as deep you don't have to go to 40.
You do have to show relevant competency, and dive beyond prescribed depths (12, 18.1 and 30 if my memory serves me right) but you don't have to reach the maximum depths.
Besides - what does that prove? 30m in the Red Sea is completely different from 30 in a snotty swell in the English Channel in March. The qualification is a guide - and as a diver you should be working within your own limits according to the conditions. If you don't then you are just being daft imho, regardless of what cert. you hold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.