Dominican Republic and nearby Caribbean islands...

Thread: Dominican Republic and nearby Caribbean islands...

Thanks

Thumbs up Dominican Republic and nearby Caribbean islands...

Hi all,

I'm off to a wedding in February in the Dominican Republic and am going to take the opportunity to see a bit of the rest of the Caribbean and do some diving.

I was hoping to pick your brains on a few things....

* I've never been to the Caribbean before, have done most of my diving in Egypt. Are there any real must do areas? Am guessing the answer will be 'loads'!

* I'm taking my girlfriend who's a non-diver but keen to learn out there. Obviously I want to encourage and support that. Where's best that she can safely and comfortably learn, but I can do some good day trips? Not limiting myself to just the Dominican Republic here, we'd both like to see more of the Caribbean. Am also interested if you think it's a good idea learning out there. I learnt in Stony, so my first trip away was proper diving. Seems kind of a shame to go to the Caribbean to sit in a classroom, but I have no idea what it's like in practise.

Am also considering dipping in to my 'holiday fund' and staying on for a bit longer to do a Liveaboard. Turks and Caicos is looking good for the proximity and the big marine life. Is kind of a 'trip of a lifetime' for me, so worth making the most of it.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm off to a wedding in February in the Dominican Republic and am going to take the opportunity to see a bit of the rest of the Caribbean and do some diving.
    I was hoping to pick your brains on a few things....
    * I've never been to the Caribbean before, have done most of my diving in Egypt. Are there any real must do areas? Am guessing the answer will be 'loads'!
    * I'm taking my girlfriend who's a non-diver but keen to learn out there. Obviously I want to encourage and support that. Where's best that she can safely and comfortably learn, but I can do some good day trips? Not limiting myself to just the Dominican Republic here, we'd both like to see more of the Caribbean. Am also interested if you think it's a good idea learning out there. I learnt in Stony, so my first trip away was proper diving. Seems kind of a shame to go to the Caribbean to sit in a classroom, but I have no idea what it's like in practise.
    Am also considering dipping in to my 'holiday fund' and staying on for a bit longer to do a Liveaboard. Turks and Caicos is looking good for the proximity and the big marine life. Is kind of a 'trip of a lifetime' for me, so worth making the most of it.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Some food for thought here: http://www.bsac.com/diverreports.asp...=The+Caribbean

HTH. Have a great trip.

Eddie

Thanks
    If you have the opportunity, be sure to visit the island of Saint Lucia, believe me, the local beauty will pleasantly surprise you. My wife and I flew there many times to rest. There is not only a beautiful underwater world but also incredible landscapes, there is a lot of entertainment. We were so passionate about this place that we even decided to get citizenship there. In order to speed up the process, we entrusted the paperwork to this http://vcgarant.com/grazhdanstvo/kariby/sent_lyusiya company.