YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Navy knife sheaths

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jonat1 
#1 ·
Hi,

There may well be a better place for this question, but as large knifes such as this have fallen out of favor with sport divers, I've come here first.

I acquired some un-issued Navy divers knifes like this:

Product Fashion accessory Electric blue Metal Event

I like them for work, but the sheath isn't great; I don't have a knife pocket on my suit, so the size of it rather dictates where it goes. Does anyone know of a sheath similar to Green River one, that will take this blade? I think a Siebe Gorman one would work, but that could be expensive. Or I could make one, but I'm looking for a straightforward option first. Any ideas?

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
That's the fall back plan, but the green river sheath holds the knife at the hilt, keeping it in place when the sheath is clipped off upside down.

That's not an insurmountable problem with a webbing sheath, but the green river one is certainly neater.

#8 ·
Cut a piece of copper, brass or plastic pipe of the correct diameter, and cut out the top of the sheath to make a 'clip' similar to the green river sheaths, then flatten it out to take the knife (boil up the plastic one first). Seen quite a few home made ones like these, and they can be as intricate as your skills!

#9 ·
It's easy enough to drop an expensive dive knife into deep water while using it at, or near, the surface. So I'd recommend drilling a small hole through the pommel at the butt end of the dive knife handle and then threading a big heavy duty stainless steel keyring through the hole. Then clip one end of a spring coil lanyard to the keyring and the other end to an eyelet on the sheath. Make sure the spring coil lanyard stretches out to just beyond arm's length so you can easily draw the knife and use it while it's still attached to the sheath. I've lost count of the number of divers who have lost their precious dive knives on a dive and only noticed when they get back to the boat. Usually they have taken out their knife to poke or stab at something and not sheathed or clipped it back in properly. Having it on a lanyard has saved me a lot of embarassment when I've accidentally dropped mine while cutting rope or nets out on prop jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.