Is this recent death at Stoney Cove - 1 too far?
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this recent death at Stoney Cove - 1 too far?

Thanks

Is this recent death at Stoney Cove - 1 too far?

Title is I think clear of what I'm suggesting.

I've dived there a lot as have many of you guys and gals. But is this latest death just one too many, is this site really safe enough? Is it properly controlled? Are there just too many divers using it? The last time I was there, there must have been 2-300 people in the car park alone, who knows how many in the water?

It's a good facility for practicing skills, for testing out new gear or rinsing off after a weeks PROPER diving in the SEA. Should it be approved for diver training? I have always had a problem with it being approved for Open Water training. Let's face it, it's not open water.

The last time I was there a young woman was dragged from the water close to death, the staff were exceptional, their response was extremely quick.

I know divers die in all sorts of situations, all over the world. I think Stoney's record should not be dismissed as being "a numbers game".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Owenter
    Are there just too many divers using it? The last time I was there, there must have been 2-300 people in the car park alone, who knows how many in the water?

It's a good facility for practicing skills, for testing out new gear or rinsing off after a weeks PROPER diving in the SEA. Should it be approved for diver training? I have always had a problem with it being approved for Open Water training. Let's face it, it's not open water.
    OK - its busy. But surely using a lake for training where someone can be evacuated to dry land in minutes and you do not need to worry about waves, swell etc is a safer place to train than the sea.

Gareth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Why is it any less "open water" than a very sheltered bay in the Red Sea? A training site is exactly what it is useful for, as part of a careful progression of course. However the progression is controlled by the divers themselves and if folk treat it as the be all and end all of diving then that is where the problem lies. This is not Stoney's problem.

Stoney's safety record is remarkable really, given the number of dives done and the demographic of those dives. There are alot of novices, alot of training dive and alot of brush-up dives. The set-up allows these to be done in the best possible conditions.

I cannot imagine that in-water crowding has been a cause of accidents - although there are alot of divers there at times, the dives are spread out over the day and you are likely to bump into less divers than you would on a good tide on the Scylla!

To try and attach any blame for the recent death to the location is as shallow as our national press. There is nothing to back this up and I actually find it a little distasteful given that we have no details on what happened, other than the fact that Stoney staff did their usual swift rescue job when called.

Thanks
    Stoney has had some 22 fatalities in 28 years ....this compares favourably with some open water sites when you put it into perspective.

28 years 60000 + dives a year thats over 1.6 million dives at the site

.....actually i think that the safety record is pretty good and the benefits of having the on site safety team cannot be overestimated.

Hazel

www.finingaround.co.uk finbar.taylor's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry

Firstly maybe it would be an idea to find out what happened befoer any finger pointing is done. I know more than most on what happened but befoer I get PM's asking wait for the BSAC report I'm not starting the rumors flying.

Secondly I hate stoney I've been on two accasions first was my rebreather course and was desperatly trying to persuade my instructor to go else where and the other was for the big chill which was more of a social than dive trip. But the saft facilites are not what's causing these incidents

Title is I think clear of what I'm suggesting.

I've dived there a lot as have many of you guys and gals. But is this latest death just one too many, is this site really safe enough? Is it properly controlled? Are there just too many divers using it? The last time I was there, there must have been 2-300 people in the car park alone, who knows how many in the water?
    You mention further down about the numbers game they get 60,000 divers a year. thats more than any other regional dive site, like plymouth, portland etc.

It meets the requirements for open water and is safer and more depandable than the sea

The last time I was there a young woman was dragged from the water close to death, the staff were exceptional, their response was extremely quick.

I know divers die in all sorts of situations, all over the world. I think Stoney's record should not be dismissed as being "a numbers game".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Stoney's a great place to train. But compare it against, say, a race track. It's not the track's responsibility to make sure that the drivers (or riders) are perfectly safe- the participants know the risks and use the facilities for their own "pleasure". However when something goes wrong, if the track has good facilities to manage the accident then that's great.
    Currently attired in Seaskin's finest

www.kitfondle.co.uk
    Kit That Makes Brave Men Weep

www.nusac.info
    A rather brilliant place to dive

Thanks
    At the end of the day, unless you are saying that SC is so packed that it people start drowning from having regs kicked out of mouths, or necks are being broken from being giant strided onto because there is not room to enter the water safely (neither of which is the case) then SC cannot be held responsible for the actions of the divers who use it.

To suggest otherwise, is as silly as saying, whoever owns the sea is responsible for incidents in the sea.

Yes, it pisses me off that the place is so popular at the weekends that you have to get there in the middle of the night to avoid a bend inducing clamber up the hill, but does that mean they are responsible for incidents/accidents there? - no, not in my opinion.

Dive safe - wherever you choose to do it.

Darren

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by divebiatch
    Stoney has had some 22 fatalities in 28 years ....this compares favourably with some open water sites when you put it into perspective.

.....actually i think that the safety record is pretty good and the benefits of having the on site safety team cannot be overestimated.

Hazel
    Well said Hazel..

Statistically - is diving [at stoney if you like] any more dangerous than another type of sport/activity - such as motorcycling or skiing.. probably not..

Don't be taken in by the media - it just happens that (unfortunately) diving seems to be this weeks danagerous sport to avoid - its just unlucky that Stoney got picked on this time..

just my 2c..
    Cheers..

http://www.TheDiveForu-m.com (remove the '-' )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by divebiatch

Hazel
    That's got to be safer than crossing a busy road.
    LIVING LIFE IS LIKE A FORK AT A ROAD JUNCTION.....
    YOU CAN GO ONE WAY OR THE OTHER, BUT YOU CANT GO BACK !!!!

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS YOU TAKE, BUT THE TIMES THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY
    Your village called, their idiot is missing

my pics

Thanks

Crowding, try Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren A
    At the end of the day, unless you are saying that SC is so packed that it people start drowning from having regs kicked out of mouths, or necks are being broken from being giant strided onto because there is not room to enter the water safely (neither of which is the case) then SC cannot be held responsible for the actions of the divers who use it.
    Forget SC, some dives in Sharm feel like that!

Gareth

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast