YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

camping at treadrdur bay?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Nick Bailey 
#1 ·
anyone know a good cheap campsite near treardur bay for me and my son next weekend?

#2 ·
There's the national outdoors centre thing on the way from Holyhead to Porth Dafarch.

You take the next-but-one road to treaddur at the McDonalds roundabout and follow it down for about a mile and a half. It's on the left hand side. I was going to stay on their pitches for the REDS do a couple of years ago but my dad was ill.

It looked well run. they had accommodation in the lodge, or you could camp (it was mowed) and use the shower block.

Actually - try a dive in Porth Dafarch. Max 8 M. Head out on the left hand wall. Count the gulleys. Take the third one. It brings you back into the bay through a 50M swim through, and is pleasant.

PM me if you'd like more details.

#5 ·
Forecast looks good too for a change :teeth::sun:

There are some great night dives to be had over that side of the island at this time of year, run your fingers through the sand to disturb the sandeels and start a pollack feeding-frenzy :)
Coming from Porth Dafarch towards Treardur the next bay is good- there is a stack of rock around midwater mark, head past that and keep to left and you should find the remains of an old wooden wreck.

ATB,
Terry

#8 ·
Thinking of popping our Anglesey cherry this weekend. Got booked on a RHIB for a couple of dives Sunday but doing the shore thing Saturday. Any recommendations? We've heard, anytime 2hrs before HW is good but is it safe to dive outside this time?

#9 ·
trip

we got there on friday afternoon traffic going was terrible. we went to holyhead for a few fills, good job we did as they wouldnt be doing any fills on saturday as they were off to ireland diving.

we then went down to the valley of the rocks campsite and set up tent it cost me £11 for two nights belting value, campsite basic but thats what we wanted
had a drive round to the various beaches it realy is beautiful round there and then a trip up to the south stack for some sightseeing and to see the birds

saturday all day on porth dafarch beach did two little bimbles on the left hand side not deep but plenty of life about half an hour each one

i took my lad in for a few little try dives just to try out his gear and get his weighting right but he was very soon getting cold as hes only 11 and very slim even though it was quite warm for me it soon chilled him right through
but he was very happy rock pooling and digging a tunnel to australia.

sunday back on the beach snorkelling asnd crabbing then home in the afternoon

great place we will return!

ps thanks for the help to all who replied

#10 ·
Sounds good, did he enjoy it?
We took Daryl's youngest for a try dive the other day too, he's also 11 and absolutely loved it.
(expensive business though, getting the kids involved!!!) :teeth:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.