YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Which Wing? Bungeed or Not?

67K views 100 replies 56 participants last post by  Deep Blue 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Right then guys, I'm thinking about getting the bungees off my OMS wing. I'm seeing a lot of downsides to it now, and not a lot of upsides.

So, someone convince me that bungees are a good idea. I've got a couple of reasons why they're on there, but I want to hear it from some of you uys that dive bungeed wings as to why. Because the why I should is a smaller pile than the why I shouldn't.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm going to play devils advocate where possible, because once I'ev made a decision, that's it done. They're a bugger to take off without damaging them, so it's no going back if I take them off!

Digs.

#52 ·
my 2p

Hi H,

I have a Custom Divers TDB wing with Bungees... I went for the Single piece harness, but after a year of messing, I decided it wasn't for me....

I have now reverted to my own version of the orignal CD Harness.....

Works nicely for me!

The only issue I have is that I manage to loose the inflator on some entries, but I think that a little bungee should sort that out!

I have heard stories about CD wings being uncomfortable...not noticed it myself, but then I use the CD mushroom nuts and not the butterfly nuts to attach the wing to the twin.....

Speak to you soon....
Neil

#53 ·
I use...

I have a dive rite dual rec in a backplate and single piece harness - very comfortable to dive you can get the D rings exactley where you want them only down side is rolling arround on the surface trying to get out of it and on to a RIB.

I have just upgraded to the supper wing with a Transpac harness as I scared my self not having enough lift (another story before I digress) - This has all the lift you could ever need but the harness is taking some getting used to. I can't adjust it as much as I'd like and it is not as "figgure hugging" as I'm used to - every thing seams to be further away!

I've not tried using a single tank with either of these configs but have been told the large wing is too large for a single. I have also replaced the Bungie with Surgical tubing as it makes the wing easier to inflate oraly over the origional bungie

Fin

#54 ·
Steve S said:
OMS 100lb single bladder bungied as others have said aids deflation and is also very useful to tuck hoses thru when you decide to invert :)
Horses for courses... H you have seen mine... I like the bungees, they make dumping air out of the wing easier and also give me something to tuck my long hose away in.

I know I dont NEED 100lb of lift just now but I really like being able to inflate my own lilo/airchair when i get on the surface. With it being bungied it doesnt matter that it's a large wing. You do see a lot of unbungied wings flapping underwater... I really dont know if this is a problem or not.

Anyhow, babe, you know you are welcome to try mine out anytime..

Jules :camera:
x

#55 ·
Me Too

Steve W said:
You've seen my rig, OMS, bungied and as big as they come, Jules's rig is the same but without the IQ pack, Jay's is either like mine or Jules's, need I go on...
Same here and I like it :shade: :thumbsup: as Jules says nice lilo at the surface just lie back and think :embarasse , now where's that boat, Oh, who cares :p

#57 ·
I use a DiveRite SuperWing with my twin 12s. Ok, its a bit over large for the twins on their own but by the time I add a stage its getting into slightly more sensible country :D

I really don't follow the bungies are good/bad argument. If you are using your suit to compensate for the air compression (and hence loss of buoyancy) then a damaged wing under the water doesn't really matter. The issue comes when you get to the surface and try and remain afloat! Yes, some people say you could use your suit but I'd rather reply on a backup bladder or, worse case scenario, use my inflated blob as a buoyancy aid. The argument that an unbungied wing causes drag is also touted as a reason for/against bungies but the drag really is minimal if you bother to measure it.

If I were in your position I think about the style of diving you plan to do and try as many wings as possible. Sorry to say it, but wing choice is a personal thing; at the end of the day and the pros and cons of bungies are something you you will weigh up and descide upon for yourself. :)

#58 ·
OMS single bladder bungeed 100lb wing with IQ pack - v comfy to wear and much better to lug about a t/set in than I thought it would be. No sag pockets offer a lot of space but the clip to the chest D rings is annoying and get in my way when getting out of the rig.

Also, anyone else with no-sag pockets find them hard to get to if you stick them on the belt/cummerbund where they should go (i.e. right at the sides) ?

#60 ·
Bungees too loose...?

Davey Willo said:
My biggest problem with a bungied wing is that it is designed to deflate itself.....
I always understood that the bungees were to asist in it's deflation, but in all honesty I don't think it happens with mine. There's very little air in the wing most of the time, which may account for it as I prefer to use the D/S for bouyancy.

Are the bungees likely to be too loose, or is it that I just never get enough air in to bag for the bungees to squeeze it out??

#61 ·
I did away with bungee to start with and used a 2m hose across the chest and round the back of the neck. But now with the need of carrying multiple stages (up to four) I now stow the hose back in a bungee on a Dive Right Supper Wing twin bladder.

#62 ·
Digger said:
On the ferreting in shipwrecks, I didn't have an issue with my TekWing, and the OMS has seen the inside of a few wrecks, and I can't see a little extra coming out being an issue. I'd be more worried about the bungees catching than the wing being a problem. It's quite neatly round the tanks, I can see your point with some of the batwings out there though. I wouldn't want to take them inside a tight spot.

Digs.
???? (Cough)

I think it may be the underside of the wrecks that is more of an issue!:D

I am leaving my bungies, where they are. At the moment I am more worried about the exploding inflator which tried taking my fingers off!

#66 ·
Interestingly I am now diving the YBOD wing which has no bungee and my wife’s rig is the OMS halcyon copy of the 40kg wing which also has no bungee and is very DIR.

On both I have to manually deflate the wing before a dive or I can’t get underwater at the start?? This is OK with a dry suit on my YBOD as I can inflate the dry suit and jump in but a couple of times it has flipped the neck seal doing this so now I tend to jump in and if I sink I sink. Ling has a terrible job diving singles with a wet suit she tends to put a bit of gas in before jumping in and despite holding the hose up she isn’t sinking I then grab the wing and wrap it tight around the tank to make it flat and she sinks.

I find this most odd I am sure there is a technique to doing it that I don’t know but I have to say since physically scrunching the wing to deflate it on the boat I have managed to shed a load of lead (4kg) and still be able to sink at the begining of a dive.

On the custom divers rig I used to lay back and slightly right to deflate the wing on the surface. You cant / shouldn’t do this on a CCR as it encourages water on to the 02 cells.

With my old CD wing I used to stow the long hose in the bungee. It worked fine I never had a problem with deployment and would do a temp hog loop if the long hose was not needed any more. I found it less cluttered than the hog loop but then I use stages left and right so this didn’t lend its self to using the Bowdean system.

ATB

Mark Chase

#67 ·
Bob Cooper said:
Hmmmm, is there a common theme developing here...?

;-)

Bob

Nahhhh its just a sad trole

ATB

Mark Chase

#69 ·
Dw2

That means Do What Works...as in DW squared.

Bungees work for me, perhaps not for others. I have 3 sets of wings:

1. Bungeed OMS double bladders for my proper diving, including scraping around in caves and wrecks.

2. Single bladder Zeagle Manta wing on my other doubles...I lend my m8s this set...nice but...well...I'll stick with my bungeed wings

3. Single bladder Dive Rite Venture wing...no bungees, for my single tank lazy Sunday dives.

Personally, I see no problem with bungees whatsoever...I know the arguments, have dived with both....dunno...bungees just work for me and my diving...I'm not a puritan DIR..I smoke...but don't dismiss bungees....they work...and as I said DW squared....if it works for you....

Just try both and decide yourself.

kinetic

#70 ·
Nowt worong with bungees..

Reasons already posted...They're not easy to break if you get snagged...normally.

I didn't read all the torrent of nonsense against bungees because I saw some counter arguments and of course, there are counter counter arguments...

.....bungees rock.....you look gay without them...trust me.

kinetic

#80 ·
Having your wing restrained with elastic straps or not evidently does nothing to help with your spelling abilities. :) (Smiley applied hopefully to avert the illiterates who'll want to call me a pedarast!)

#83 ·
<font color='#000080'>Right then guys, I'm thinking about getting the bungees off my OMS wing. I'm seeing a lot of downsides to it now, and not a lot of upsides.

So, someone convince me that bungees are a good idea. I've got a couple of reasons why they're on there, but I want to hear it from some of you uys that dive bungeed wings as to why. Because the why I should is a smaller pile than the why I shouldn't.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm going to play devils advocate where possible, because once I'ev made a decision, that's it done. They're a bugger to take off without damaging them, so it's no going back if I take them off!

Digs.

60lb wing with bungees

50lb wing with half bungees

50lb wing no bungees

Your choice :D

If you realy want an unbungeed wing get a smaller one.

ATB

Mark

Reactions: 672
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.