Plumbing Advice sought
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Advice sought

Exiled in Scotland... Dave Crampton's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Plumbing Advice sought

I replaced the boll cock valve today after our old one broke spilling gallons of water down the bowl and over the side of the top of the cistern. I couldn't get the mains connection to the valve to seal using PTFE and have only just found out the connection needs putty and a rubber washer which I hope Josie has been able to buy from B&Q whilst I'm busy at work. I told her to turn off the mains water to stop too much water leaking into the plaster above our kitchen, but she has continued to use the hot water (un known to me) and not has phoned me to complain that when she last used the hot water (5 mins ago) there was a very loud humming niose in the house and my childen are now crying and scared of the noise which persists even though she has turned off the hot tap.

I suspect she's drained the tank and that there is air in our system now! Is this as simple to fax as running the hot tap with the mains turned on (annd towels to mop uo the toilet cistern leaks)?

All help greatfully received.

Dave C

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Could humming be the immersion heater?

Straight down the shot line ScuBen's Avatar
    Thanks
    What sort of hot water system do you have?

rEvolutionary HPDW'ing deepestandy's Avatar
    Thanks
    make sure the heater if fitted is turned off. An airlock shouldn't be a problem if the system is fitted well, the noise could be water hammer from the float valve.

.. -- .- / ... - ..- .--. .. -.. / -- --- .-. --- -.
    Thanks
    Your hot water cylinder that contains the immersion heater will remain full always, even if you've drained the big black storage tank in the loft and you've not got anymore hot water coming out of the taps... it stays full so don't worry about the immersion it will always be in water... the noise will proably be the ball valve... (float operated valve) that maintains the water level in the large storage tank in the loft... so nothing to worry about.. ... I've heard these vibrate so badly you think the ceiling is coming in... and the resonate through all the pipes in the house.... brilliant
    .. -- .- / ... - ..- .--. .. -.. / -- --- .-. --- -.

Gone to The D1VING F0RUM dot COM Just like everyone else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 660 Posts
    Think of waterfalls. Works for me.

Janos

EDIT: Different sort of plumbing.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club

Thanks
    Same Answer as Twinsetmads post

Hopefully Dave the putty was to seal the hole in the cistern where the valve passes through. The mains water connection usually requires a fibre washer or loads of PTFE to make a washer
    I'm Sorry you have me mistaken for someone who gives a shit

Air-Guzzler

Exiled in Scotland... Dave Crampton's Avatar
    Thanks

Update.

Firstly, thanks for the offers of info.

We put in a fiber tap washer which has so far not leaked.

The humming noise persists - intermittantly. It only happens when we run the hot tap. For instance I was showering this morning when half way through, the hummbing, started then after 15~20 seconds it subsided. It only appears to happens when we run the hot tap. Any advice on getting an air trap out of the hot water system?

Our hot water is obtained by heating in a back boiler then stored in a hot water tank in the bathroom cupboard. Our heating is separate and a sealed system. The vibrating/humming does not happen when the heating is on, though its currently turned off, so I could be mistaken.

Thanks

Dave C

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Crampton View Post
    Any advice on getting an air trap out of the hot water system?
    I would connect a hose pipe from a cold water mains outlet (kitchen tap) to a hot water tap and turn the two on. I am probably wrong though but it has worked for me in the past

Please delete all my posts
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dynarob View Post
    I would connect a hose pipe from a cold water mains outlet (kitchen tap) to a hot water tap and turn the two on. I am probably wrong though but it has worked for me in the past
    that generally works, although the waterboard can get a bit funny with long hoses that could theoretically syphon stuff back into the mains.
    please delete all my posts
    despite repeated attempts the nobhead mods don't understand that the T&Cs changed when the wanker sold us out . all my original posts were posted under tham not the wanky ones now foisted on me fookin canucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast