Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please guys.
First time abroad with the unit, where is the best centre for rebreather diving in sharm would need cylinders o2 and lime.

Cheers.

Bert.

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
Don't know if they're the best, but Emperor Divers have a "tech" group - Red Sea Technical Diving - Emperor Divers TEKSTREME

Have only done Emperor's recreational stuff, but had no complaints with them.
These guys were great when Aaron Bruce ran it but he has since left so I'm not sure what it is like now.

pm
Jim Dowling: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/members/jim-dowling.html
or
StevieH: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/members/stevie-h.html

And you'll get all the advice you need as they are local and actively working/diving/guiding/instructing at all levels out there

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
I trained CCR with Sarah Woodford at TeK Sharm, she is an old hand doing tec / CCR there.

They have plenty of all your needs and Sarah does CCR / Tech guiding on her Evo. They are close enough into Narma bay but as stated you are paying 11EU per KG at least for Sofno.
I strongly recommend doing the Thislegorm with Sarah as a guide as you will get 2H on the wreck while the rest of the boats are up doing surface intervals.

PL

·
Registered
603 Posts
I came back from Sharm last week with my 'heavy' Sentinel. Easyjet gave me 50kg for an extra £18 each way (website says 32kg max but on arrival was informed for diving it's 50kg) and I managed the unit and 9kg of sofnolime in my baggage with weight to spare. Sofnolime works out quite expensive if you get it over there. Surpisingly painless all told.

·
5,435 Posts
Be careful with Easyjet.
At Gatwick it's fine as they can't weigh your crate so they tend to ask you how much it weighs "32kg. Honest ;) )
The problem tends to come in on the return leg.
We flew in from Malta last week where they have scales that are wide enough to take an inspo crate. As long as your box weighs no more than 32kg then you're fine but the problem comes from the ground staff that have no clue as to what the rules are. The ones we dealt with were adamant that your total combined weight accross all of your luggage should be no more than 32kg.
We explained that we'd paid for the sports luggage and they said fine. That gives you an extra 12kg above the 20kg hold luggage.
Needless to say we argued our case eloquently and managed to make it through with 32kg in an inspo crate AND a 20kg hold bag too but it was a close call. The ground staff asked her supervisor who then asked his and all came back with different answers.
If it wasn't for the unlimited hand luggage rule I would have been stuffed.
I know Sharm are less strict than Malta but you only need one ground staff to try and make a point and it's £10 per kg you're over

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all,

Thanks for the heads up.
Red sea look to be a good outfit so may look at diving with them.
I have looked at emperor tekstreame blog and think i may give it a miss and stay in the uk. Not really sure where they are comming form with all of that.

·
5,435 Posts
which bit put you off?
They aren't sacrificing babies or something are they?
aiui you have 2 very experienced brits working there now in the form of Jim & Stevie (I might be wrong bout that but that's how I understand it)
What could possibly be so bad on the blog that you've canned your planned trip to Egypt?
I know they speak funny over there but Stevie's a scouser so make allowances please

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi Paul,

I think it was the strange bsac instructor training photo, bit last of the summer wine for me. A lot of very high end recent instructor certs at one centre (only imho) it would seems to me that when not diving being in the pub watching the rugby or soccer is of great importance, not relly my cup of tea either. i went back and found some interesting bits from Aarron, but he is not around by the looks of it.
I just dont think it would suit me, be more happy in the u.k.

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
hi Paul,

I think it was the strange bsac instructor training photo, bit last of the summer wine for me. A lot of very high end recent instructor certs at one centre (only imho) it would seems to me that when not diving being in the pub watching the rugby or soccer is of great importance, not relly my cup of tea either. i went back and found some interesting bits from Aarron, but he is not around by the looks of it.
I just dont think it would suit me, be more happy in the u.k.
Huh!!!

Well, the Rugby is on TV one day a week here, so we have to make the most of what we can get, as opposed to the kiss ball fraternity who get it 24/7. This leaves us 6 days in which to actually go diving :)

As for the recent BSAC Tech Workshop I haven't a clue were you're coming from on that? Living as we do in Egypt its not like we can just enrol in a Tech SDC on any weekend we want, so Texstreme forked out for Mike Rowley to come out and run a Tech Wksp here, no real difference from your average club pulling its finger out and doing one themselves - it just cost us more!

I was a SMG user and did my Instr Cse, Shaun was already a TDI Normoxic Instr and crossed over to BSAC Explorer Instr, Chris and Sarah ditto but they were TDI Adv Trimix Instr and crossed over as well - were is the harm in that? and in the time between that photo and now, I've done more Tech dives than most will do in a year....

Regards

Steve

PS. I'm from Brum!

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
Ah well, the threads not wasted, lot's of useful information here as I plan to get my inspo out to Egypt when I can afford it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mmmm,
You were right about the funny talking, bit of a rant steve. Are you clock work or on duracells. I think I recognise chris from littlehampton, good all roud egg. And would i have dived with Sarha many years ago on Ghazala, think the last thing Sarha would want is 2 hours on the thistlegorm (me too) Cant see the piont of getting up at 4.30 just to make sure you miss the slack ??. Well at least i did not waste my money to be patronised, think i will stay at home and count my dives one day i may have as many as steve got this year. (not how many steve..........its How). i thought emperor was not the place to spend my money, nice p.r job Steve

·
Instructor at Werner Lau Tek, Sharm
708 Posts
quick clarification

Hi all.

Just a quick correction, as i've seen it being mentioned a couple of times now.

I still work at Ocean College, mostly running the technical dive operation alongside Leigh Cunningham.

I have absolutly no intention of moving to or working for Emperor Divers! I have a good idea where this rumour is coming from, but its not true!

Emperor have a couple of excellent technical divers on their books- Chris Armstrong is one of the best, Sarah has a solid reputation and Steve Parry is an excellent technical diver too. There are probably others too, but as I haven't dived with them I can't honestly reccomend them.

Unfortunatly for the tec diving scene in Sharm there are a few inexpirenced (though very vocal) new technical/ mixed gas divers who have jumped to tec instructor status very rapidly, having taken no time to build up any expirence before starting teaching. This is, I believe, both bloody stupid and dangerous.

As to the OP, we're almoet totally geared up to open circuit here at Ocean Tec, though i've guided a few CCR divers over the last few years, and have a CCR background myself. PM Mary S on here for an honest opinion!

I'd reccommend contacting Aarron or Chris Armstrong at TecGuru directly, if I was looking for CCR guiding in Sharm, that's who i'd use.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jim,
I can see where you are comming from thanks for the heads up, I would like to know what if any expedition experience there is at Tekstreame or is it now Texstream as Stevie puts it. And for the record steve 3,500 logged dives 300 ccr logged hours and still not enough to teach it in my opinion ( thats me not you steve). bert

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
mmmm,
You were right about the funny talking, bit of a rant steve. Are you clock work or on duracells. I think I recognise chris from littlehampton, good all roud egg. And would i have dived with Sarha many years ago on Ghazala, think the last thing Sarha would want is 2 hours on the thistlegorm (me too) Cant see the piont of getting up at 4.30 just to make sure you miss the slack ??. Well at least i did not waste my money to be patronised, think i will stay at home and count my dives one day i may have as many as steve got this year. (not how many steve..........its How). i thought emperor was not the place to spend my money, nice p.r job Steve
A rant, yes, when a comment on a thread is made directly against me (you didn't get the Beer n Rugby thing from the Tekstreme blog as you claim cos it aint there, its in my profile and nowhere else), then I will reply!

OK, obviously I failed in trying to make the point that, rather than go out as a new Tech Instr and deliver second rate courses until I had gained more experience (unlike some people I know on their TDI "cert chase"), I have instead gone out and dived and shadowed other instructors until such time as I am confident in my ability to teach one fully, got one coming up soon and I will ask Sarah or Chris to shadow me and give me feedback on my performance.

Oh, and Sarah loves 2 hour rebreather dives on the wreck :p.

Hi all.

I still work at Ocean College, mostly running the technical dive operation alongside Leigh Cunningham.
Congratulations on the promotion fella, I hadn't heard.
I'd reccommend contacting Aarron or Chris Armstrong at TecGuru directly, if I was looking for CCR guiding in Sharm, that's who i'd use.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Just to clarify, cos I'd hate someones holiday to be spoilt by bad advice - Chris Armstrong does not work at Tec Guru, and Aaron, despite being a top bloke and excellent instructor is struggling with Egyptian red tape and as such Tech Guru is not yet allowed to operate in the Red Sea so Aaron is working for/from Werner Lau until such time as his paperwork is sorted.

Even his website his down (but here is a link so you can keep an eye on when its up and running www.tekguru-technicaldiving.com ) - so if anyone wishes to dive with him I would try and contact him through Werner Lau.

Thanks Jim,
I can see where you are comming from thanks for the heads up, I would like to know what if any expedition experience there is at Tekstreame or is it now Texstream as Stevie puts it. And for the record steve 3,500 logged dives 300 ccr logged hours and still not enough to teach it in my opinion ( thats me not you steve). bert
No, its called Tekstreme, I dont know whose posts you are reading but I never spelt it that way, try reading em again before trying to score points!!

Sarah probably has the most expedition experience of any of the Tek Instructors in Sharm, she did once tell me what stuff she had done but there was so much it all became a blur, drop her a line and ask her.

OK Troll, if we're in a p!ssing contest - almost 5,000 dives and racking em up at a rate of around 10 more each week, over 200 dives on some sort of tek gear into the 50m+ range so yes, I do think I have enough experience to teach Normoxic Trimix :p

Regards

:Edit: In 6 years of being in this town i have worked with/observed/learnt from Aaron, Micheal, Sarah, Leigh, JK and Jim D - I think thats quite an apprenticeship, and one that i could claim makes me ready to start instructing, dont you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blimey,
All those dives thats 2 dives per day for the last ten years, and that only having 2 weeks off each year for holidays. And steve trust me i do not need to score points as i am not competitive when it comes to diving, thats when it becomes dangerous.
I would think if you use air to 55mt you could save yourself quite a lot of money on gas as well, should be able to manage on a 15lt and a bailout if you r.m.v is o.k. just for a bounce. Could take a twin set with air and a 40% and 80% for a bit of bottom time. Why trimix ? just do a whole heap of deco and spend a lot of money ?
I would think you have properly broken Texstream or Tekstream now.... give it another coat of paint that will fix it !! I think thats the end of it for me stevie............... bored by your patronisng red sea dive guide attitude.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
gazzabert, I note that you are fairly new on here and I would ask that you temper your comments to those who have been around a lot longer. Your last post is verging on trolling and baiting which we don't take to kindly. If you want to dive mix wherever you are, why not. Deep air, even in the clear waters of the Red Sea, is gradually being pushed out by the more responsible training agencies.

Please keep the tone of the posts civil and don't get into a pissing contest, as the only losers will be the thread posters as it will be closed or moderated.

Regards

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.