YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a 'I learned from that', but a reinforcement 'this is why we teach this'.

On Thursday we had the go ahead that a trip out to the Chateaux Yquem was on. Saturday was binned due to forecast 4-5south westerlies. The wreck lies in 48m half way between Torbay and Portland. Sundays forecast was for 2-3 westerly. Could still be some swell though. As I didn't want to spend time around the bottom of the hull, I planned on a max depth of 45m

So Friday night sees me down the club sorting out my gas for the dive. The cylinders were still full of 32% from the aborted Sunday in Weymouth a couple of weeks before. So the plan was to drain down to 120 bar, then air top up for 26%. There were a few other cylinders needing filling, so all were connected up so the filling was slow and cool. There were a few other members wandering to and fro carrying stuff for a fundraising boot sale. The topping up was done and the cylinders put back in the car.

Sunday morning I was putting the rest of the stuff in the car. I though I would just check the mix. It measured just under 32%. Do what?! So I check the gauge and vent it and make sure it was resetting. Put it on again. Just under 32% again! Then it hit me. I had not actually done the draining down prior to topping up. What with the distractions around and connecting the other cylinders I had gone straight into 'fill mode'.

Luckily I had plenty of time to go back to the club, drain down and top up properly this time. The dive was not too bad, vis of 2-3m. Sea almost flat calm. Wave machine had been switched off. And another local wreck visited. Although I'll have to do it a few more times. Hopefully in better vis.

So, not only check your gas before you dive, but check the gas at a point where you can do something about it.

Adrian

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
So, not only check your gas before you dive, but check the gas at a point where you can do something about it.

Top tip Adrian! I think you should also check the bar in your cylinder as well as the mix. I've seen several divers turn up on a boat with an empty or half full cylinder recently because they had been told it was full by a mate or had been given a short fill.

I always try to get my fills a few days before I dive, and if I haven't seen the cylinder being filled I ask them to check it and top it up if need be before I leave the shop.

If my tanks have been lying around at home for a while with a fill, I still check them at least a day before I dive (or at least in time to get to a compressor if need be).

At the minute, because I'm getting two dives out of a 300 bar fill on my set, I can't afford a short fill. That's one of the reasons I'm going to try bigger tanks :)

Hxxx

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
1.76 ppO2? "PAH" I say. A mere shandy!

Who says FFMs aren't a good thing!!

:):):)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Good post Adrian.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
If my tanks have been lying around at home for a while with a fill, I still check them at least a day before I dive (or at least in time to get to a compressor if need be).

Hxxx
Don't forget to give them a good jiggle!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One for the club eNEWS?
how many wally points?
None - not a club dive. :)

The points should go to those causing the distraction. Which is a serious point if there is going to be a lot more blending.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I realise we aren't suppose to be negative in this forum, but people (and I mean in general) really should be checking their mixes before leaving the filling shed.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realise we aren't suppose to be negative in this forum, but people (and I mean in general) really should be checking their mixes before leaving the filling shed.
I usually do, but as I said, there was a lot of distraction.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I usually do, but as I said, there was a lot of distraction.
Hi Adrian

A wise old techie diver once said to me 'Break a drill, remake a drill' Has saved me many times.

If you are distracted while doing something (kitting up, S-Check, filling your cylinders, buddy check, making sure eveything is in the car, whatever), start again from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I am well aware of the multi distractions that night.

The most distracting being the new girlfriend of a member!
She was GORGEOUS!
Oh! and the BSAC Outgoing NDO and Incoming NDO came in for a beer...
It is the first, (and last) time I know that Adrian will make that mistake again!.
But, he did check it again before the dive, and remedied the situation.[I wouldn't have wasted the gas! :)]

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am well aware of the multi distractions that night.

The most distracting being the new girlfriend of a member!
She was GORGEOUS!
Oh! and the BSAC Outgoing NDO and Incoming NDO came in for a beer...
It is the first, (and last) time I know that Adrian will make that mistake again!.
But, he did check it again before the dive, and remedied the situation.[I wouldn't have wasted the gas! :)]
I don't know about gorgeous, I bet your eys never went higher than her 'shorts' :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts