YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody Typical :frown:

Last summer, Lou told me I needed to get more salt in my diet, so I made an effort to put some money aside, and to do a few less dives at Stoney to try this idea out :) I sometimes wonder why I listened :teeth:
Last weekend was supposed to be a dive fest, doing two dives out of Littlehampton on the Northcoates gig on the Saturday and 2 dives out of Gosport on the Sunday after grabbing a space on TerryH's SUCS gig out to U1195 just off the Isle of Wight.
Got the message that the Saturday's diving was off, so instead of driving down at silly o'clock AM, I got up nice and leisurely and drove down to the Littlehampton area, where I went to visit a friend who lives just up the road from Selsey.
Being curious and having never seen Selsey before, I decided to head down and have a look. Nice calm sea, and lots of sunshine (a little microclimate by the looks of it). Spoke to some divers who had just got back on a Rib, and they were saying they had had a lovely dive. Hmph.
Watched a very scary dive taking place. A group of four divers were going in from the slipway area at Selsey, and doing a shore dive amongst the moored boats there. One diver looked to be a newbie, possibly on an early open water dive. The rest were obviously experienced. They went in without a SMB, which I thought was a little odd near the slipway, and I was proved right, when one diver surfaced without a buddy, stayed on the surface for a few minutes, then popped down again. The space where his head had been was driven straight over about a minute later by a Rib returning to the slip. It looked like scary stuff to me. This diver had obviously lost his buddy as he kept popping up in different places and then going down again. No sign of the buddy ever appearing. Eventually they both surfaced at the same time... about 300 yards apart! Anyway, enough of that, I now know of a couple of shore dives in the Selsey area to experiment with next time I am down that way.
I had failed to find a campsite, other than one which wanted 20 pounds for a one man tent, so I said bugger that and got a B&B and went out for a meal in the evening. Only to get a phone call from TerryH to say, guess what, Sunday's diving is off too. "Bother" says I.
So stayed overnight, and came back up yesterday 180 miles, 5 hours, torrential rain the whole way with flooding on the roads.
Not a good weekend... then I come back on here and find out that the rest of the country appears to have been diving.
I would however just like to claim the 5th, and say that Mattbin *was* down to be on both lots of diving this weekend, so I guess there is the reason!
2007 sea diving: 4.5 days lost out of 8 booked, or 8 dives lost out of 15 booked.
I guess there is always next time.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
If it makes you feel any better mate i had 8 Dives blown out this weekend, thats 12 for this month :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bloody Typical :frown:

Last summer, Lou told me I needed to get more salt in my diet, so I made an effort to put some money aside, and to do a few less dives at Stoney to try this idea out :) I sometimes wonder why I listened :teeth:
Last weekend was supposed to be a dive fest, doing two dives out of Littlehampton on the Northcoates gig on the Saturday and 2 dives out of Gosport on the Sunday after grabbing a space on TerryH's SUCS gig out to U1195 just off the Isle of Wight.
Got the message that the Saturday's diving was off, so instead of driving down at silly o'clock AM, I got up nice and leisurely and drove down to the Littlehampton area, where I went to visit a friend who lives just up the road from Selsey.
Being curious and having never seen Selsey before, I decided to head down and have a look. Nice calm sea, and lots of sunshine (a little microclimate by the looks of it). Spoke to some divers who had just got back on a Rib, and they were saying they had had a lovely dive. Hmph.
Watched a very scary dive taking place. A group of four divers were going in from the slipway area at Selsey, and doing a shore dive amongst the moored boats there. One diver looked to be a newbie, possibly on an early open water dive. The rest were obviously experienced. They went in without a SMB, which I thought was a little odd near the slipway, and I was proved right, when one diver surfaced without a buddy, stayed on the surface for a few minutes, then popped down again. The space where his head had been was driven straight over about a minute later by a Rib returning to the slip. It looked like scary stuff to me. This diver had obviously lost his buddy as he kept popping up in different places and then going down again. No sign of the buddy ever appearing. Eventually they both surfaced at the same time... about 300 yards apart! Anyway, enough of that, I now know of a couple of shore dives in the Selsey area to experiment with next time I am down that way.
I had failed to find a campsite, other than one which wanted 20 pounds for a one man tent, so I said bugger that and got a B&B and went out for a meal in the evening. Only to get a phone call from TerryH to say, guess what, Sunday's diving is off too. "Bother" says I.
So stayed overnight, and came back up yesterday 180 miles, 5 hours, torrential rain the whole way with flooding on the roads.
Not a good weekend... then I come back on here and find out that the rest of the country appears to have been diving.
I would however just like to claim the 5th, and say that Mattbin *was* down to be on both lots of diving this weekend, so I guess there is the reason!
2007 sea diving: 4.5 days lost out of 8 booked, or 8 dives lost out of 15 booked.
I guess there is always next time.
Well, I got half way down the M3 enroute to Portsmouth on sunday morning (from Bishops stortford) only to get a phone call to say dive was off....
Hmmph!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
So sorry Derek! That is the down side to the sea....still, you do get out and about :D

So what was the reason for the Northcoates cancellation if it was all eminently diveable on Saturday (and was it Sussex? ;) - the boat that never goes out with Matt on board...)

Don't lose heart - this year is a particularily windy year so far.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
So sorry to hear that Derek :sad:

If it's any consolation my dive was blown out on Saturday and I've had other dives blown out, or sites altered, since getting back into the sea.
I know there are others who have lost out more than me but then they should be so lucky having all these sea dives booked up ;)

I pity Vonny who, after only diving The Dredger since moving to Weymouth, got "re-routed" to dive it again when we went out together. And the Bendydick was canned :frown:

What I want to know is WHEN IS IT GONNA STOP *£&!%*ing RAINING !!!
Flooding and burst banks now !! :rain:

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
I use to get soo pissed oof when dives were called due to bad weather. I could hardly afford to get away, time was tight with the kids being small too....

Now I see it all very differently, whether the dives are gonna be called or not I still go; If there called off, well i'm away for the weekend and I'll find something else to do and just chill out.

If they're on... well it's a bonus. :D

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Something to do with the met office forecast of winds up to F6 with a coastal strong wind warning. The right call at the time, even if conditions were different on the day.
Ugh - didn't realise you were forecast that bad up there, and I thought it was predominantly westerlies. Bloody Binnie. The spot-weather magnet.

It was calm down here :D

Today, however, we have gale force 8 apparently. Certainly looks windy as heck.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Ugh - didn't realise you were forecast that bad up there, and I thought it was predominantly westerlies. Bloody Binnie. The spot-weather magnet.

It was calm down here :D

Today, however, we have gale force 8 apparently. Certainly looks windy as heck.

Sussex goes out - it just gets canned when we get there :)

Enough of the weather magnet crap - or I'll move down there, the 'old' house is now 'sold' so I'm a free agent and there are 3 jobs in the offing that are all abroad so I can move anywhere ;)

Matt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.