YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just downloaded my dives from the weekend and it looks like I have managed to crack the 100 dives in a year.

Pretty poor show all in all,  next year I really must do better.  

Daz

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Well done.

I got 150 so far (still three weeks to go!), although 41 were in the Red Sea. Do they count?

Andy

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

about 90 this year, I certaintly  made that new years resolution to get out and dive more, meet new people to dive with and generally have more fun........didnt know it would all happen by just meeting one bloke though! ahhhhhh!

Pass the bucket I think peter K is about to throw up...:p

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Andy,

Of course they count, otherwise I would not have managed the 100.  
  and well done to you as well.

Just did a bit of a breakdown..  16 Red Sea, 84 UK.

It is interesting to see where my diving has gone over the years,

1997, Certified (Like you did not know!) 10 dives all abroad.
1998, 8 Dives all abroad
1999  No dives (What the hell happened there  
)
2000  10 Dives all abroad
2001  49 Dives abroad, 9 Dives UK (The start of a slippery slope

)
2002  49 Dives Abroad, 50 Dives UK (Agghhh, missed it by one!)
2003  16 Dives abroad, 84 UK

It has definitely been a rollercoaster 12 months of new discoveries and experiences.  Heres to the next 12.

Daz

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

Andy,
      Disagree with Daz - Red Sea cant count cause none of us were there to verify those dives therefore I propose that the next time you go you have to pay for a YD Member to go with you to verify you diving and I think next year it should be me!
Dinger

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>So far 177 dives this year not including Jan, Feb (new computer, so I sold the other one before dowloading the info)and 5 weeks banned from diving for a Type II DCS  
  in July.
Only 13 dives in the Red Sea, 4 in Tenerife, 4 in Florida, 4 in the Bahamas including a 1000 ft penetration of a cave and the rest in the UK. Maximum depth ( on air) 60.4 metres this year but that was in the Red Sea on Thomas Reef so that does'nt really count.
UK highlight has to be diving on the Salsette in excellent viz, closely followed by snorkelling with the Basking Sharks off Porthkerris and the lowlight has to be the Aeolian Sky with no viz and not sure if we were in or out of the wreck.
Role on 2004 for more of the same (with the exception of the DCS) and even more time underwater with everyone staying safe and having a good time.

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Already got 4 dive trips booked for 2004
jan Tenarife
Feb nothing yet
March Peter K's Mull trip
April Mull music Festival (also known as the boys trip)
May Peter K's other Mull trip

also planning on taking the kids somewhere at sometime for a warm water outing,
quality of life definately proportional to the number of dives already planned.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Christ Jules! You'ld of been as well just buying a house on Mull.

Peter

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Well, I only learnt to dive in January, so I was quite happy to reach my target of 50 dives last weekend.  Not bad, since i've spent a couple of months out of the country with work, plus I didn't dive for a month while I was waiting for my drysuit. Still time to fit a couple more in this year...

Abroad: 26 dives.
UK: 24 - 8 dives in the sea, all the rest have been in quarries, doing my sports diver training and getting used to the drysuit.

Here's to hitting the 100 next year, spending much more time in the sea around the UK!  Following Julia C's example, I seem to have booked myself up for most of the year already

Jan: Red Sea,
Feb: IFC course
March: Nothing yet...
April: Diving the SETT, of course!
May: Sorrento - There for a friends wedding, but might as well get some diving in...
June: Jamacia - There for my brother's wedding, but might as well get some diving in...
July: Farnes.
August: Oban.
September: Sleeping.
October: Somewhere for my birthday, will leave it to the last minute to decide.
November:
December:

Any suggestions for the gaps?
dan

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 09 2003,17:10)]Christ Jules! You'ld of been as well just buying a house on Mull.

Peter
ah but then it would take the kids ages to get to school... i just love Mull, but then you knew that didnt you?

New house is fab and groovy by the way!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

This is a bit like a "mines bigger/better/faster than yours" conversation. I didn't know girls played this game too!

I think you have all put me to shame - I don't bother writing up dive logs although I always remember to download the profiles - I suppose my computer will know.

If you see another post from me on this link you will know that either I have lied or I really do have one big enough to compare with you all.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Dan
there's a boat leaving Portland in Feb & March with your name on it, see Frogkicks winter warmers on the planned trips page.

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Too be honest it is all relative.  The number of dives and even depths are not really relevent, it is more about experience and knowledge gained.  This can be related to the number of dives but not neccessarily.

Personally the 100 is just an aspired to number (For me anyway).  But the experiences and how my diving has changed mean so much more.

1.  The worst narcossis hit I have ever had, trying to hit a specific depth (Deep Air = Hey it's not big and it ain't clever,  but I am proud of how I handled the situation - just not proud of doing it in the first place)
2.  Adopting a long hose config
3.  Switching to twins
4.  Starting my AI
5.  Dealing with a paniced buddy at 30m.
6.  Dealing with numerous minor problems with students while DMing.
7.  Bungee fins  

8.  Filming Hammerheads
9.  Diving an Aquarium with Raggies.

And oh so many more,  so it is not about number of dives but what individuals get out of it, even bad experiences can be reviewed in a positive light.  I hope everyone else also had such a enlightening year  

Daz

EDIT :- Oops and of course the number 1 should have been "Meeting up with other YDers"  

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I am going to try to dive a bit less next year because a 1000 + a year is wearing me out. but all of them in Tenerife so they don`t count.

Safe diving
Michael

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

82 this year so far, of which 20 in the Red Sea and 11 in the UK, the rest in Sweden. Not a very impressive number but all quality sea dives – none of your muddy-puddle dives here  

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Dec. 10 2003,18:10)]Too be honest it is all relative.  The number of dives and even depths are not really relevent, it is more about experience and knowledge gained.  This can be related to the number of dives but not neccessarily.
sometimes i'd quite like number of dives to be seen as knowledge gained.... mainly when people in my club say that all the diving i did abroad doesn't count!

i think i did it the hard way: learn to dive in the uk.... learn to divemaster abroad. i reckon taking down five overweight couldn't-care-less holiday divers is harder than taking down one switched-on UK trainee, no matter what the conditions.

but apparently experienced gained isn't valid if it's gained in warm water... ah well!  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Diving is diving - one is not better than another - merely different.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that I broke the 200 dives for 2003 last month and I'd like to thinks there's still plenty of time to get wet b4 Auld Years Night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

I'm feeling left out Daz I've only clocked up 83 dives this year. Fancy giving my hand to get to 100?

There’s still 12 diving days till Xmas!!

Dave

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Just been blown out on the Moldavia for tomorow which would have made 100 so still on 99 but hopeful. Mind you I am off too 'it dosent count land' on the 28th so should comfortably get over 100 before 1st of jan

Having said that some of my 100 were in puddles so they shouldent realy count. I think it OK to claim a dive in a puddle if its a dive with a mission but most of my puddle hops were trainig new kit or weight checks. On one day I loged 4 20-30min dives at Wraysbury doing practice for Deco procedres.

So ignoring CCR try dives practice and training dives etc etc I have only got 67 dives this year in the salty stuff
with about 16 in Gozo and 18 in the Red sea. so thats only 33 salt water dives in the UK.

Blimey thats awfull

Mind you, last seasion it was all two dive days. This year with the Trimix it has been mainly one dive days due to the depth of the first dive.

Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.  

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 41 Posts