YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then. That was a trip. Where I actually did the work.

I decided to go in for this Great Manchester Run thingy a few months back, thanks largely to a bit of ego when one of the guys at work got all excited and put a group together.

So me and 7 others as it ended up (a couple of shabby last minute injuries cut our number a little) ran off at about 10am today.

Now, for those of you who know me, goign from 20 a day to 10K in a matter of a couple of months takes a bit of doing.

I can honestly say I feel far better for actually doing significant amounts of exercise, and I think I've finally managed to clear most of the crap out of my system. Plus now I can eat what I like and stay under 100kg.

So anyone out there thinking about doing something they know they should have done years ago, get on with it. It's well worth it.

Now all I need is a suggestion for something new to acheive with my newfound fitness. I don't really want to run more than 10K because my shins are aching as it is, I could probably go in for a half marathon at some point, but I'd rather find a challenge which is a bit different. All suggestions gratefully received, because I know as well as the next man that without a target I'm lost. It took me 3 months to start training for this, and I wish I'd started earlier :) I have a gym with everything I need available for training, so most events are probably possible to train for.

I might get some sponsorship for the next one too. I was too busy training every hour god sends to run around collecting money for this one (plus I hate being pestered with forms, and as a result don't want to pester someone else) but when someone comes up with something signifncantly different or difficult then I feel like giving them a couple of quid.

Digs.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Well done Digs! How about the Great North Run next year? You can pop into mine for a cuppa if you are on your last legs on the last few miles - my house is less then 2 miles from the finish line :)

Keep it up. Packing in smoking and getting fitter was the best thing I ever did too!

Hxxx

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been thinking hard about the Great North Run. It's a bloody long way. I forgot to mention getting through the finish line and losing breakfast in comedy fashion. Managed to get away with it, just found a quiet corner :) The guys I was there with today are talking about it, but then a few of them put in 45 minute times, and didn't look like they were actually going to die at the end.

Well spotted Fiona. 4pm BBC2, spot the Digger competition. I'm wearing a lovely white sleeveless top, number 10568. You'll be able to spot me because I have my heart attack face on throughout. And I went for a bit of a wee after about 2km. Cost me more than 13 bloody seconds that did. :(

Digs.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
And I went for a bit of a wee after about 2km. Cost me more than 13 bloody seconds that did. :(

Digs.

You could have gone for a couple of shags in that time :D

I have often thought about the Great North Run...but never got round to doing anything about it. It's on my 'to do' list. I have frequently run 6 miles comfortably when I have been into my jogging but I have never pushed myself more than that. There are an awful lot of 'fun runners' who do it so it can't be THAT bad. Mebbes I'll join you next year Digs :teeth:

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Or try the 3 peaks challenge with some like minded souls.

Well done on the quitting the cigs and completing yr first 10k. Which has incidently just started on bbc2

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on getting below 100kg matey! :D

How about giving Tough Guy a go - dunno it a couple of times and whilst hard work it's also good fun.

ATB
Bloody hell. Now that looks like fun. I think I might need to do a good year of hardcore training before that one. I love the "how long is a country mile? well, how long is a piece of string? normally double your 10 mile run time." I don't have a ten mile run time. But going on this I presume about an hour and a half, probably best part of two hours once I've cleaned the vomit off, so that's a 4 hour run before everything else happens!

I would have some respect for you having done not one but a couple of these things, but in reality my taxes paid for you getting good at running around getting all muddy, so I'd kind of expect it :D

And I don't quite know how they manage to find girls who want to do these things, they sound like a challenge :)

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and I got on the telly for about a second. And I was the only one who spotted me, but it was definitely me. During some ridiculous interview with a bloke off Emmerdale or something. And I vividly remember thinking "I do hope I don't cough my lungs out of my mouth" at that point, so it was probably for the best it was for a fleeting moment :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tough Guy

Digs,
Try the Tough Guy event i have done it two years on the trot and doing the summer one this year. Why not look at entering the winter one next Jan its a right laugh and maybe we could get a group of us of YD to do it. Put tough guy in google and have a look.
Lee

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Well done Digs!

Phew!
running for an hour whilst I was having brekkie in a Dublin hotel & Juz was fast asleep upstairs, proud of you!

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Well done Jack, you should have a look at the Grizzly in Seaton, Devon, it's a great laugh. Look at some comments from people around the net.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Congratulations Digger :teeth:

How about a Coast to Coast Cycle ride??

See the sights, pick an appropriate width of the country so you don't kill yourself or take a week. How about doing it over a weekend?

Good luck, no matter wht you do your a winner already.

James

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
13 bloody seconds. 13 bloody tiny little seconds. I could have made that back if I'd not been so bloody polite at the start of the thing :) Or not gone for a wee, but I feel carrying 2kg of piss around the course might not have been the best of ideas.

Maybe the cycling thing would be a giggle. Or the tough guy does sound thoroughly entertaining. I will talk the boys at work into the idea, sign them up, then tell them what they're doing. They'll hate me for years, the chinless wonders arrive with a bunch of beardy weirdies and ex-forces. Comedy.

Digs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The aching shins are quite a common problem in runners just taking up the sport. If you haven't already, get your gait analysed in a running shop and it may be a problem with the type of trainers you have bought. In addition to that build your running up in tiny increments each week / month until your body gets used to the extra stresses on it and don't bother to improve your speed until you build endurance more.

I started with 10k's and suffered exactly the same at first. A couple of years later I have done countless half-marathons, 20-milers and a marathon so beware - it's a slippery slope.

Re - events. Have a bash at the Hellrunner race. They do a southern one and a northern one. I did the southern one last year and it is much better than tough guy which is a glorified assault course with plenty of standing around waiting for hundreds of people to get over obstacles etc.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Well done Jack, you should have a look at the Grizzly in Seaton, Devon, it's a great laugh. Look at some comments from people around the net.
i've got my number for the Grizly and really looking forward to it, just upping the weekely runs to include 15 mile runs, oh the joy.

G

·
And I don't quite know how they manage to find girls who want to do these things, they sound like a challenge :)

Digs.
Id like to do this at some point in the next 5 years. Theres a charity challenge one which isnt as tough but you do lots of things similar to it but in a team of 3. When im back on my running feet Ill aim for it.

Congrats Digs, you seem to have changed since October last year!

aX

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
We could ressurrect our London Triathlon idea. The swim in a striped woolen Victorian bathing costume complete with bathing machine, the cycle on a french bicycle with wicker basket, french loaf and string of garlic and the run in flip-flops or wellies. The sprint distance is the one to start with.

Talk to missus Woz about runs. She's done a fair few interesting ones including:

Woburn 10k- run like fcuk through the lion enclosure
Robin Hood- one of the more interesting ones, apparently
Great North- good for about 2 miles then you run down a boring dual carriageway that slopes annoyingly gently uphill. The Felling Bypass. Horrible.
Balmoral 10k- run round the Queen's garden pissing in her flowerbeds
Coastal 10k- run along the Devon coast path. The medal is made from a rather nice slate pebble. Absolutely knackering, mind.

Or do the Woz Triathlon. Pool, darts and dominoes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts