YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a dinner party with a 1970s theme. I was going to do prawn cocktail (complete with that wierd marie rose sauce!), beef wellington and rum baba. Does that sound authentic enough? Any other suggestions? Obviously I'm too young to really remember what food was like in the '70s...:embarassed:

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Wasn't Black Forest gateau the pud-du-jour - or was that more the 80's?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
That is Marie rose sauce in our house.

Safe diving,
Steve

P.S. if someone is coming down your way from ours I can lend you a 1973 lava lamp :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
A fray bentos pie and a wantneys party seven would be about the right era, I don't think your guests would ever come back though.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Ooh, and Babycham :D

·
Don't feel blue, think pink!
443 Posts
When my Mum and Dad had a party, it was Ponies (the drink, not the cylinder!) all round, with Colt 45 for the menfolk.

I remember my first ever alcoholic drink, which was Warninks Advocaat, that was so tasty, I finished the bottle and felt a bit dizzy. I was only 8!

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I had a 70's party in a naff 70's house that needed doing up, it was great, and how sad that friends still had their clothes from that era! (amazing they still fit most of them!)

We had celery sticks with cream cheese from a squirty tube, sausage rolls, vol-au-vents, cheese and pineapple on sticks, sausages on sticks (like your other thread?), ritz crackers and philly cheese (how exotic), gherkins, pickles, plain crisps, babycham, dandilion and burdock for the drivers and Blue Nun and Bulls Blood or Black Tower.

You must have Black Forrest gateaux and After Eights with Cointreau.

Prawn cocktail or avocado to start if you're having a proper meal. According to my Marks and Sparks 70s cook book, goulash or chili con carne was considered quite avante guarde. Trifle with instant whip or angel delight, sponge fingers, cream and hundreds and thousands would be an alternative desert.

Eeee, them were the days eh? How come we weren't all as fat as houses?

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Advacado with prawns and that crap sauce

Graham

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
mateus rose wine bottles as candle stick holders

Wasnt there some courage beer in a black can with blue writing on it I seem to remember my dad buying that when I lived in Staines.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great ideas, keep 'em coming! I must admit I'm a little wary of blue nun after an unfortunate incident in the early 1980s and I'd like to once again apologise to Jill and anyone else affected.:embarassed:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
A pineapple hedgehog is a must if you are having a buffet. If not, I agree prawn cocktail (in a wine glass) for starter, goulash or chilli, and for dessert, trifle or black forrest gateaux or pineapple upside down cake or angel delight.

I shall have a look at my old cook books for inspiration. I think I have a Good Housekeeping collection from the 1970s

·
Trouble re-Member-ing
1,080 Posts
Add a splash of worcester sauce and a drop of tabasco to the marie rose sauce and use tomato puree instead of ketchup.
Can you still get watneys red barrel?..I hope not!!!!
Don't forget to serve everything in a basket for that touch of real 70's class.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A pineapple hedgehog is a must if you are having a buffet. If not, I agree prawn cocktail (in a wine glass) for starter, goulash or chilli, and for dessert, trifle or black forrest gateaux or pineapple upside down cake or angel delight.

I shall have a look at my old cook books for inspiration. I think I have a Good Housekeeping collection from the 1970s
Thankyou my dear. I still think beef wellington is authentic but am not sure about the veg.

Frosty...

have a look here

70s Party Foods -- Seventies party foods -- 70's food

Everything you need to know!

Pete
Thanks Pete, I had forgotten about thousand island dressing!:)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts