YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm considering in getting a new reg. to replace my octopus (Oceanic Alpha). My main reg. is Oceanic Omega and happy with it, but not with the Alpha (the breathing is heavy). Now if I get a reg. wich is not oceanic will I encounter problems with the first stage? I may actually get a new 1st stage alltogether but will want to keep the Omega.
On the note of the omega, I seem to hear only poor reports about it, what does everyone else thinks? As I'm happy with it I will keep using it but then have very little experience with other regs.  One problem I find is that it is difficult to get someone to service them, unlike most other regs.
Is the environmental seal important if you are not diving in polluted waters? I'm hearing more and more about having the the seals but don't understand their full advantages.
I've been following Seans link and may go for Tx40, then decide wich one I will use as the octopus, do a gradual transition. Like Sean my diving is moderate so won't push the regs to the limit.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

"Now if I get a reg. wich is not oceanic will I encounter problems with the first stage?"

No, so long as it isn't Poseidon - everybody else uses the same IP.

"Is the environmental seal important if you are not diving in polluted waters?"

Yes, it keeps the water out and helps prevent reg freeze, so it's nice to have in cold water.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well I really like my Omega,  I use it on my pony.  

My wife also has an Omega that she loved using as her main reg but I am now setting it up as a pony reg for her (on a sherwood 1st stage if that answers your question on mixing first and second stages).

Daz

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Chris
I'm really surprised you think the Alpha is a heavy breathe as I have them (2) and find them light as a feather. Have they been like this since new as I'd suspect there's either something wrong with it or it has been poorly serviced recently. Try a brand-new one in a shop and see if its the same. Mine offer virtually no resistance and I've used them in 7c fresh water temps with -1c showing as air temp. Been down to 25m with them and not noticed any difference in performance there either. Unless of course you are looking for an excuse to buy new ones?
Matt

Hey, I've got 5 balls, one more than Daz.
GOOD day!

(Edited by MATTBIN at 2:39 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hey Matt I noticed you were better endowed on the balls front a week or so ago but was too polite to mention. ;)

I also agree with Matt,  I have tried an Alpha and also find it a really nice breathe, OK not as light as the omega but you will be hard pushed to find anything else that breathes as light as the omega (Zeta or poseidon spring to mind).

But for a nice and simple non pilot valve second stage the breathe is up there with the best.  You can get the breathe adjusted on most regs, sounds like yours is set a bit heavy.  Not that uncommon if it was sold to be used as an Octopus,  less chance of a freeflow.

See if your local shop can adjust it.  Even if they are not an Oceanic dealer, adjusting the breathe should not be beyond them.

HTH,
Daz

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Hi Matt, you could be right about the heavy breathing, I'll take the regs for servicing next week and give it try afterwards.  Even if OK I may still go for a new reg, the heavy breathing is a partial excuse

Just a matter of curiosity, when does one want to change a reg, when it begins to go wrong or when simply you want to try another one?

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

When you've got either a) something left on the credit card or b) even better real money.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

"Just a matter of curiosity, when does one want to change a reg, when it begins to go wrong or when simply you want to try another one? "
Answer: Never, as long as you're satisfied with it. I know people that have been using the same reg for 25 years and are quite happy. If you take good care of your reg and get it serviced once a year, it'll last virtually for ever.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

So when is the right time to change your reg....

If you are happy with it, stick with it...  I dived with a Sherwood Magnum for quite some time and loved it,  reliable, easy to look after and consistent..  Got the chance to try a few others and decided on a change that I really like and still dive with (Spare Cash !!).

Do I still rate the Magnum.... Yes,
Would I use a Magnum.... Yes...

Was it worth the extra money to get rid of the magnum and get something else.....    ummmmm

More money than sense....  (Some would say,  not difficult..."

You be the judge... All I will say is the Alpha is a really nice second stage and setup correctly is a great reg.  

The great thing about diving is jumping in and not actually thinking about your reg, suit, jacket etc...  If you are enjoying the dive and not thinking about your kit then I think you  have got the right kit for you.

Daz

P.S.  Hey Matt :-  It's quality not quantity ;)

(Edited by daz at 10:14 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Daz
I think you hit the nail on the head, if you are happy and not worrying about your kit, its right for you.
Can never have enough kit - you of all people should know that. ;-)
Matt

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote:

No, so long as it isn't Poseidon - everybody else uses the same IP.
<span =''>

Not true, and if you put two regs together that are not made by the same manufacturer, or designed to go together you may run into problems when you go for servicing, as strictly speaking they should not be put together. Apart from that it should be fine.

I had omega11 second stage and octopus until my kit got stolen, I thought they were fine a little wet breathing at times but that is not a problem, to me anyway, why not just put on a omega11 octo, it can be used from both sides. If you are having a problem servicing your regs send them to Oceanic, they will service and return to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts